Patrol Pics



Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Vehicles Components & Accessories Wanted

Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby TommieGQ » 23 Apr 2017 11:08

Hi All.

Can anyone tel me where I can buy or make a rear bumper with a tire arm that can be dipped in chrome for my GQ? My rear door that has the spare tire doesnt want to open properly due to the bigger tire on the door and I am scared it is only going to get worse if I dont do something about it.

Help will be appreciated. :helpsign:
TommieGQ
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 20 Apr 2017 19:53
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Full Name: Tommie Watkins
Nickname: TommieGQ
Home Town: Kathu
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby offroadbiker » 24 Apr 2017 07:05

Hen's teeth - as the GQ is so old nobody stock's rear aftermarket bumpers for them any more :doh:

So it is either DIY or paying someone to fab one for you, would love one myself but to date cheapest quote was 15k to fab one :thumbdown:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
User avatar
offroadbiker
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 08:36
Location: Krugersdorp
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 79 times
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby David M » 24 Apr 2017 08:02

Rear bar.jpg
Rear bar.jpg (782.21 KiB) Viewed 869 times

What are the mounting points of the GQ's like in comparison to the bakkie as this has 2 swingarms and could look good with minimal mods.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
User avatar
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 12 Nov 2013 15:13
Location: Midrand
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby TommieGQ » 24 Apr 2017 11:08

offroadbiker wrote:Hen's teeth - as the GQ is so old nobody stock's rear aftermarket bumpers for them any more :doh:

So it is either DIY or paying someone to fab one for you, would love one myself but to date cheapest quote was 15k to fab one :thumbdown:


Eish, thank you offroadbiker. Do you know of anyone that can do these type of fabrication and chrome the bumper for me aswell?
TommieGQ
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 20 Apr 2017 19:53
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Full Name: Tommie Watkins
Nickname: TommieGQ
Home Town: Kathu
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby TommieGQ » 24 Apr 2017 11:14

Hi David.

I am not sure will have to go look but this is how mine looks. I basically my lights wont have to fit into the bumper, it just needs to be a plain bumper with the tire arm. Would like it almost the same height and width as it is now. It doesn't need to have the gap just above the trailer hook at the bumper.
Attachments
IMG_8404.JPG
IMG_8404.JPG (254.49 KiB) Viewed 847 times
IMG_8403.JPG
IMG_8403.JPG (234.31 KiB) Viewed 847 times
TommieGQ
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 20 Apr 2017 19:53
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Full Name: Tommie Watkins
Nickname: TommieGQ
Home Town: Kathu
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby Tinus lotz » 24 Apr 2017 13:29

Wilro at bzt said if we send him a gq he will make it work
User avatar
Tinus lotz
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 6519
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 13:07
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 229 times
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby offroadbiker » 24 Apr 2017 13:31

Will make what work????? that is a bit criptic :surprised:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
User avatar
offroadbiker
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 08:36
Location: Krugersdorp
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 79 times
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby David M » 24 Apr 2017 15:52

TommieGQ wrote:Hi David.

I am not sure will have to go look but this is how mine looks. I basically my lights wont have to fit into the bumper, it just needs to be a plain bumper with the tire arm. Would like it almost the same height and width as it is now. It doesn't need to have the gap just above the trailer hook at the bumper.


I was just thinking that because of the square shape of the GQ something simple like that would look good and you could either mod an existing one or take measurements of one and build it out of channel iron.

Looks simple as opposed to all the fancy angles and around corners of the GU.

If your channel iron is heavy enough you could even do a cutout for the step and weld a piece at the back and retain the recovery hook while strengthening everything.

The simple way of mounting the swingarm is using a Golf 1 stubaxle but BZT uses a much heavier system which is Burquip. I actually want to go around to Burquip as it is not on their website.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
User avatar
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 12 Nov 2013 15:13
Location: Midrand
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby David M » 24 Apr 2017 15:55

Tinus lotz wrote:Wilro at bzt said if we send him a gq he will make it work


Compared to the GU the GQ looks like a simple project that can be tackled at home. A decent piece of channel iron, some offcuts and stubaxles to mount swingarms.....
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
User avatar
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
 
Posts: 731
Joined: 12 Nov 2013 15:13
Location: Midrand
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 62 times
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: Crome rear bumper with tire arm for 96 GQ

Postby TommieGQ » 26 Apr 2017 13:48

David M wrote:
TommieGQ wrote:Hi David.

I am not sure will have to go look but this is how mine looks. I basically my lights wont have to fit into the bumper, it just needs to be a plain bumper with the tire arm. Would like it almost the same height and width as it is now. It doesn't need to have the gap just above the trailer hook at the bumper.


I was just thinking that because of the square shape of the GQ something simple like that would look good and you could either mod an existing one or take measurements of one and build it out of channel iron.

Looks simple as opposed to all the fancy angles and around corners of the GU.

If your channel iron is heavy enough you could even do a cutout for the step and weld a piece at the back and retain the recovery hook while strengthening everything.

The simple way of mounting the swingarm is using a Golf 1 stubaxle but BZT uses a much heavier system which is Burquip. I actually want to go around to Burquip as it is not on their website.


You are 100% correct it will be something simple to make. The original bumper is basically square. Will see if I can get some one here in kathu or Kuruman who can build me one out of their work shop. But will also get a quote at BZT. Thanks David.
TommieGQ
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 20 Apr 2017 19:53
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Full Name: Tommie Watkins
Nickname: TommieGQ
Home Town: Kathu
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GQ
Home Language: Afrikaans

Next

Return to 39. Vehicles Accessories Wanted

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests