EGT

Engines and Engine Systems
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: EGT

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

I agree get the thermostat prob tested, If the power is there and the Trol goes like normal I can only suspect the thermostat prob or the calibration on the MADMAN (this should not be, unless you had the battery disconnected for a long period of time and the MADMAN "lost its memory".)
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Good point there wrong probe tipe will do the same :thumbup:
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Make sure in your menu you have k tipe selected
If you are still not sure give us the values when starting up all must be about the same ....water oil egt ect in hibberdene anout 20deg cold.
If you want to check your unit you can factory reset it by keeping both up and down buttons in and then switch on it will say resetting on screen. ...
Remember on the k tipe probe there is a voltage going and coming back to unit so a bad connection between the two can be a problem. Better you solder them :mytwocents:
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

Maybe just check that the probe has not pushed out of its Ferul and that most of it is outside in the engine compartment and not picking up inside the manifold. I find mine pushes out often, and the "laggy" reading you are getting is a result of that.

Problem you now have, is that if it has done it once, it will continue doing it, and push out every now and then. In trying to keep mine in place, I have ended up killing the probe and need to replace it now.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
gupster
Full Name: Barry Guppy
Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR
Home Language: English

Post by gupster »

Many thanks for all the replies. I checked the temp this am and it reads 23C before starting. I will try a few things Tinus before I reset the unit. I dis check the set up and its set for a K probe. David, thats a very interesting point. I measured the probe sticking out and from the feral to the first lip at top of the probe, just before the red stuff, is 6.5 cm. See attachment. It does feel very secure though and I could not move it at all not that means everything. I did check the integrity of the joints, ie probe to madman wires and they also seem secure. I spoke to the guy in Durban who fitted it and he agrees with Michael that the probe could be faulty. He said to check other functions and they all seem to be ok although I have yet to install the water level (which I got from Brian) and turbo boost sender that was not available from madman when I was last up in Joeys.
By the way, I no longer have his number at madman and would appreciate someone giving it to me. While on the subject of turbo boost, would you guys recommend a separate gauge as one would like to have both values in sight, ie boost and EGT.
Attachments
SS852529.JPG
SS852529.JPG (420.39 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
SS852522.JPG
SS852522.JPG (416.54 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
Have Troll, will travel.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

My current setup is a separate manual boost gauge with the Madman measuring the oil pressure.

I now want to change my setup and remove the oil pressure sender and replace it with a pressure switch as the Madman has this function. I think measuring the oil pressure is not needed as the oil pumps never fail plus you will be warned by the Madman if the switch is installed.

The only thing is you can only measure one pressure with the Madman and since I already have a boost gauge I’m not sure what other pressure I want to measure.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

To me it looks like that probe has started coming out. You can see where the original old burn mark is, that marks the original center position of the airflow in the manifold port. I think you got two lengths, 90mm and 120mm (speaking under correction). Either way, that would leave less probe inside the port than outside. Problem now is to get it back into the ferrule. Once you take to it with a spanner, you never seem to get it tightened up again to hold the probe. Actually, once it has let go once, it will do it again and again. I used to bash mine back with a shifting set to just fit over the top, but would let the wire come through the gap between the jaw. then take to it with a small hammer and bash it till it hits the bottom of the manifold.

Don't take my advise on this method, I just had to do my first fix when the probe came out all the way on the road, and left a place for a lot of noise and flame to come out at full boot. Hence the hillbilly fix.
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS
gupster
Full Name: Barry Guppy
Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR
Home Language: English

Post by gupster »

Thanks David. I must admit when I looked at it I wondered if the darkened part of it used to reside lower down. The guy who installed in Durban said he was extremely busy at the moment, so I might just try out your '' Hillbilly method''. When you say it will always pop out again, can it not braced in some way? I am planning a trip after the hols and dont want the probe to pop out.
Will keep this post updated as to what happens with the fix and the results.
Have Troll, will travel.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Barry, I agree with David. It does seem like the probe has pulled out a bit.
The top nut on the probe can be loosened and you should be able to wiggle the probe out without damage. It has a farrel that shrinks atound the probe when tightend and you can order a replacement one from Madman.
The probe should be pushed in all the way untill it touches the other side of the manifold and then you just pull it back about 3mm so it just doesnt touch it.

Hope that helpes
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

The censor part is about 15mm from the front of the probe def look like that part is above your manifold ....good luck :thumbup:

Return to “09. Engines”