Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: HARD STARTING 1996 PATROL 4.2 SGL WHEN HOT OR STANDINGON

Post by Tinus lotz »

Joshj had this one in his crd he will be able to let you know all i can say is my 4.8 had to go big to try and stay with him when we drove back from the river trip ....the chip has a harness that just plugs out when it has to go for service ...
IMHO ....put a full madman always good to know what your watertemp boost ect is and it has a audioblie alarm when things are not correct :salute:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Keith, I think you may have misunderstood.

The Madman and the chip are not related. A madman is an engine monitoring system. It monitors up to (i think) five critical engine factors, depending on what sensors you have fitted. For example, EGT, oil pressure, oil level, water temp, water level. It gives early warning if something goes wrong that can damage your engine. It also gives an audible warning if a value goes over a user set-point.

In my opinion, every engine probably should have something like this, particularly every tubocharged engine. And this becomes even more important if you have made any modifications, especially to the management system.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Keith. The 3.0CRD is very slugish in standard form. I fitted my madman system before I did anything else. The norm is to not exceed 650degrees C. And I can tel you without towing anything it does get to 650degrees C when driven hard. I do think that the newer 3.0 can handle higher temps. But I played it safe and kept mine under 650.

The chip and 3" freeflow make an enormous difference in drivability. Also on open roads when heavy loaded for overtaking. A Dastek chip is the only safe way to go. And it must be tuned at a good tuner that understands the dangers of a diesel.

Feul with std tyres and no extras is easy 9km/l at moderate driving. Add 33" mud tyres and it goes to 7.5km/l. Add weight and you have a hard time getting to 7.5km/l. The end is a power to weight argument and weight always wins. So if you up your power after all the weight you can get over 8km/l. The low down torque of 380nm at 1500rpm and 440nm at 2000rpm will sure assist in towing.
If your tuner knows his stuff then you will have a hard time seeing 650degrees C after tuned and 3" freeflow. :mytwocents:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: HARD STARTING 1996 PATROL 4.2 SGL WHEN HOT OR STANDINGON A

Post by SJC »

My tb42 also starts more difficultly when hot, compared to cold... :think:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: HARD STARTING 1996 PATROL 4.2 SGL WHEN HOT OR STANDINGON A

Post by Kagiso II »

SJC wrote: 23 Nov 2023 21:15 My tb42 also starts more difficultly when hot, compared to cold... :think:
Stefaans, oompie had the same with Murrse - after many months it ended up being loose and warn and corroded wiring from the cluster- To the coil. Col to distributor and on the weak spark on plugs

Carburettor is also a culprit
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “09. Engines”