17-21 Maart 2017 DUINE TRIP

Planning a get together (GTG), trip or competition?
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Re: 17-21 Maart 2017 DUINE TRIP

Post by iandvl »

David M wrote: ...
Simply put it is all about power to weight ratio.

2 vehicles virtually identical but the one who had bumpers, rocksliders and protection plates would not get as far.
Thanks.

This is the thing I've not managed to work out. ie: Back when I drove the dunes, my truck was pretty much standard. No replacement bumper. No steel underbits. No rock sliders etc. Pretty much a factory standard truck (apart from the suspension upgrade). I was also very lightly loaded, as we'd towed the caravan down to trans-boegoe, and I had virtually nothing in the truck apart from a compressor and my normal recovery kit / tools / etc. Most of the 4.8's were relatively modded (bumpers at the least) or relatively loaded (roof racks, fridges, etc). As such, I didn't expect the extra 300cc's to result in such a difference between the vehicles. But it was a massive difference...

In short: I've always wondered whether it came down to tyres (I was running 32" Bridgestone AT3's), or the fact that automatics do better in sand. I'm still curious. I'll try them again one day and see...
David M wrote: ...
The surprise to most was Michael's diesel. I thought the usable rev range would be too small but he actually did brilliantly and if he did not have quite enough he would tinker under the bonnet a bit, there would be even more black smoke and he would then make it. :woo: :woo: :woo:

If all goes according to plan I will take the Firetruck next year as it has less weight, should be making big power by then and will either take out some of the leaf springs or maybe a coil conversion on the back. Could be the perfect vehicle.
I can imagine Michael's truck would've eaten the dunes. I've always been curious as to how a diesel would fare in the dunes. Back when I was there there was one 3L diesel, two 4.5's, a bunch of 4.8's, and Tommie's monster truck... Because of the setback we had in Kuruman on the way to Boegoeberg, I missed the first day's dune driving, and didn't have a chance to see Stephan's diesel in the dunes. So nice to hear good things. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Hmmmm.... so the diesel power was underestimated...... hahaha..... Don't worry, I am also surprised that it did as well as it did. Well done Michael for keeping our name up there with the top dogs !!!

David, the only rational deduction I can make is that out of the 2500 - 3000 rpm that there is sufficient torque to allow the revs to drop slower and stay in the power band for longer.... but impressive yes it is !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Tyres I think also make a massive difference Ian, The harder sidewall tyres don't balloon as well as a softer sidewall. I also think that even 0.1 bar difference in tyre pressure between vehicles can make a huge difference in sand/dune climbing capabilities. every motor irrespective of petrol or diesel performs slightly different ( fuel pump pressures or air filter cleanliness for example ) and that set up can just give one vehicle the edge over another.

Auto box on the sand is literally the ultimate, In a manual you have to belt the crap out of it to storm a dune, where as the auto will "smoothly" kick back without any break in momentum, hence why diesels generally don't fair well in the dunes as we need to change gears at some point.
Regards
Cedric
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

Well to be honest, I did better than expected.
The dunes were very steep and you either need loads of power or less weight and I managed to have just enough power.

Driving dunes with a diesel is not easy, you basically have only a usable rev range of 2,000 untill 3,500 rpm and to keep it there you need power which I feel I was still a bit short of.

The gearing is also not easy as 3rd has enough speed but not enough power and 2nd is to slow....... so I had to change down a gear whithout loosing speed

Below is a vid of the one dune I could get up that no 4.8 could. I had to really give it everything starting at the bottom in 3rd LR and doing a quick down shift to 2nd LR just before the top as I ran out of steam in 3rd.

I also had to deflate down to 0.4 and was really amazed by the performance of the 33x12.5x15 grabbers, they were top!

"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Michael, you biscuit.... that looked brilliant.... and you kicked a 4.8's donkey..... well done man !!!

Yeah I think the 15 inch rims and 33" tyres deflated to 0.4 bar makes a lekker balloon to float on !!!

I LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOVE the smell of diesel in the morning !!
Regards
Cedric
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Ha ha thanks Cedric :lol:

What you said earlier is really true. I did exactly the same thing but with 0.5 bar tyre preasure but the traction was not enough......just that 0.1 drop made all the difference
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Ckaber
Full Name: Clyde
Nickname: Stretch
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5GRX

Post by Ckaber »

Tommie Thanks for a well organized 4x4 trip. Had a awesome time for my first Patrol trip.Looking forward to the next one
1999 Patrol 4.5 GRX
Lyon
Full Name: Lyon Pretorius
Nickname: Lyon
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 2008

Post by Lyon »

QQQ Yip, Dankie aan almal. This was most enjoyable and I learned a lot, I feel much more confident taking on the old war-horses like Faan and his PATROL!!!

Would still like to know more about the workings of the diff lock and hubs, etc, will contact Graham :naughty: . By the way, the Graham setting made my Patrol more responsive and perhaps a little lighter on the Fuel, amazing :clap: .

I will contact Tinus for the Roof rack and Snorkel. Thanks Tinus for your support here. Need a snatch rope and Jack and Jerry Cans, and compressor, etc..... :rolling:

By the way, is a High Lift Jack a good investment......is it easy to use?

Patrol regards

Lyon
Lyon
Full Name: Lyon Pretorius
Nickname: Lyon
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 2008

Post by Lyon »

ricster wrote:Michael, you biscuit.... that looked brilliant.... and you kicked a 4.8's donkey..... well done man !!!

Yeah I think the 15 inch rims and 33" tyres deflated to 0.4 bar makes a lekker balloon to float on !!!

I LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOVE the smell of diesel in the morning !!
Now waaaaiit a second, the most beautiful and quickest stock standard 4.8 had to leave Sunday, no Diesel Monkey will go past that shine......
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Lyon wrote:QQQ Yip, Dankie aan almal. This was most enjoyable and I learned a lot, I feel much more confident taking on the old war-horses like Faan and his PATROL!!!

Would still like to know more about the workings of the diff lock and hubs, etc, will contact Graham :naughty: . By the way, the Graham setting made my Patrol more responsive and perhaps a little lighter on the Fuel, amazing :clap: .

I will contact Tinus for the Roof rack and Snorkel. Thanks Tinus for your support here. Need a snatch rope and Jack and Jerry Cans, and compressor, etc..... :rolling:

By the way, is a High Lift Jack a good investment......is it easy to use?

Patrol regards

Lyon
Don't want to go off topic here. A hi-lift jack is dicficult to use on a car as heavy as a troll, and very dangerous if not used with understanding and due care. But it is also an awesome tool, which can do things no other tool short of a 5 ton crane can.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “29. Events”