Patrol Pics

New Navara..

The spot for general chat. Bear in mind that posts older than 30 days WILL be deleted. Other languages welcome.

Re: New Navara..

Postby iandvl » 18 Mar 2017 17:50

andredurand wrote:Ian T sy vrou is groter as jy ,so is maar bang :rolling: :rolling:

Sterkte Andre.... Jy is nou ook saam IanT op die swartlys. Sy het gesê dat sy nie groter as IanT is nie. Sy is blykbaar klein en fyn.... :rolling: :rolling:
iandvl
Patrolman
Patrolman

Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Brits
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4
Home Language: English

Re: New Navara..

Postby theunis kruger » 19 Mar 2017 15:40

So, I was planning to post as we went along, but my co-pilot was pretty and young and I may have been somewhat distracted...

The route we took started in Durbanville, on the R27 to Dwarskersbos and a few backroads to Lambertsbay. On-road the Navara behaved impeccably and quite comfortably absorbed the road imperfections. We then had the opportunity to do some high-speed gravel work on pretty decent gravel roads; think Nam roads that have been a bit neglected. The Navara was very stable and predictable on the dirt; it was let down more by the tyre pressures that caused it to be a bit squirrelly, especially on hard surfaces. The traction control kicks in quite late compared to other DC's in the market, so I was able to get the back end out for a second or 2 before the dash disco stepped in.

Brakes were superb all the way and didn't show any signs of fading. They were not as responsive as I would have liked, but highly effective nonetheless.

We then arrived at The Dunes 4x4, just outside Lambertsbay. The idea was obviously to do some dune driving; they used only the automatics and kept the course very meek to account for the varying skill levels in the group. Again the Navara did very well; the power in the sand was available and delivered as expected with no surprises.

After a quick lunch we turned back to Cape Town and had the opportunity to do some rough rutted gravel as well as a twisty mountain road with turns, narrow lanes and wildlife. The Navara handled it very well, but the tyre pressures were again not conducive to an entirely pleasant gravel trip. Too hard, so a twitchy car was the result. The twisty bits were a lot of fun and all too soon we had to head back.

The engine is a 2,3 litre twin turbo diesel in standard spec across all the 4x4 DC models, the only ones being launched now. (4x2 later this year and SC 2018/19). Power is 140kW and 450 nm delivered through either a 7 speed auto or 6 speed manual box. Power delivery is very smooth and almost immediate; the gearbox and engine is well-matched and a pleasure to experience. A host of safety and comfort features are included as standard and further options are available. The Navara rides 50mm higher in SA spec and sports impressive Approach/Ramp/Departure angles. It has a selector for 2H/4H/4L, being able to switch to 4H on the fly below 40kmh; 4L requires the vehicle to be stationary. Diff lock, TC and ABS are standard as well with tyres being available in either 16 or 18 inch sizes; no 17 inch available. Windows and mirrors are electric all round with auto down for the driver. Seats are electric for the driver and manual for the passenger; air vents for the rear bench is a first for the market while the steering wheel is height adjustable. The new model is lighter, shorter and higher than the current model as well. Visually it is appealing and a very handsome vehicle and the creature comforts make it an eminently suitable travel partner.

The topic of the rear suspension: it is a 5 link IRS with a solid axle, consisting of two arms, top and bottom of the axle, and a Panhard rod to keep the diff in place. Yes, it is a vast improvement over the competitors and the gravel stability is exceptional. Watching the vehicle in front over slow, uneven terrain was very interesting as the suspension worked to keep the wheels grounded. Load capacity is max 1002kg for the manual with less for the auto version.

Personally, I have no doubt that Nissan will once again be subjected to scrutiny over this decision, as they were previously with new innovations. Anything that is not the same as what is being done over the fence is judged as wrong. Hilarious though, given that VW was torn to pieces about the milk bottle, yet here we are, 6 years later, and a single Amarok engine has yet to implode as soon as the odometer reaches 100 000kms. New models follow the same trend and went with smaller engines, specifically from 3.0 to 2.8 in the case of the most rabid owners.

My view is that this is not a bakkie for the foreman, but rather for the farmer himself. It will excel in this role and, I believe, still prove itself in the years to come. With 4 bakkie models in their stable, more than 1 million test kilometres completed for this model and a very loyal existing Navara client base, I think it is safe to say that Nissan is pretty confident of their latest model, and rightly so. Clearly, they know their way around a bakkie.

Questions welcome, herewith some pics I took; I'll post some of the press release pics later as well.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 67 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (117.47 KiB) Viewed 67 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (119.23 KiB) Viewed 67 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (121.46 KiB) Viewed 67 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 67 times
theunis kruger