Beno Sikila
Full Name: Beno Sikila
Nickname: Beno
Home Town: Lubango - Angola
Current 4x4: Nissan Patro 260
Home Language: Portuguese

TD42 overheating

Post by Beno Sikila »

Hi guys. I,m new to the site, juste made my registration today. I Have a nissan patrol 260 with a td42 non turbo engine. I´m facing some difficulties with the engine water pump, the old one was making some noise end the engine was starting to overheating when climbing or driving above 120 km/h. Got a new water pump and it was working fine for one week, but after that it just started making the same noise again, and now is overheating again. Would anyone please help me with some ideas? Is it a foult water pump that ijust bought or something helse is causing it to the water pump? Thanks.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: TD42 overheating

Post by Tinus lotz »

Welcome here ...have you had a look at your themostat housing. Please take the top off and take a pic lets see ....how bad dit it overheat before?
Beno Sikila

Post by Beno Sikila »

Tinus lotz wrote:Welcome here ...have you had a look at your themostat housing. Please take the top off and take a pic lets see ....how bad dit it overheat before?
Hi, Tinuz Lotz
Thanks a lot on your response. Yes i did look at the thermostat housing and it looks just fine but, as soon as i get home i will take some pics for you to c. The thing is that when i got this new pump two weeks ago i took the thermostat out and i,m driving withou the thermostat becouse i wanted to clean the block. Is this the reason why the car is overheating and the water pump got broken so quickly? I´ve been driving this car for 4 yars alomost 5, and normally the temp gouge should stay between 90º and 110º, but but now atfer when the first water pump broke, when climbing it goes up to 120º evem without the thermostat. Should i put the thermostat back and try a another new water pump?

Cheers!!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Michael can explain to you nicely but the 4.2 diesels has a double acting thermostat that stops the water just going around the head and if makes so all water goes via the radiator . We have seen corrosion on the seat that stops the thermostat to seal and then your temps climb :mytwocents:
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Beno,

The TD42 has a bypass thermostat system. You cannot remove the thermostat and drive with it as this will make the engine run hotter than it should.
The bypass system needs to block off a hole in the thermostat housing which then allows the water to flow through the radiator only. If you remove the thermostat the water will always follow path of least resistance and you will get very little water flow through the radiator as most of the water will only circulate through the engine block only.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Michael

Post by Michael »

Here is something you should look at when inspecting the thermostat housing.
The area that needs to be blocked off must be in good condition, if it is pitted you will need to replace it or get it "modified" to get it working as it should.

here is a pic of a badly pitted housing. this was in my own Patrol and the water was running warmer as it should"
Old housing
Old housing
Thermostathousing_old.jpg (224.21 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Here is the new one, you can clearly see how it should look where the thermostat needs to block off the hole.
New one
New one
Thermostathousing_new2.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 8168 times

Beno Sikila

Post by Beno Sikila »

Wow , thanks a lot guys. I will have a look at the thermostat house and also take some pictures for you guys to c. And definetly put back the thermostat still today if the thermostat house is ok.
Cheers
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

If you battle to get a new thermo housing..close that hole off with a welsh plug and drill a 4mm hole in it..
that small hole in the housing only helps to get the water that sirculates in the cylinder head chambers to warm up quicker in cold conditions and once the thermostat opens it closes that port off and forces the hot water through the radiator..
that's also why people remove the thermo and thinks the vehicle is running cooler and its not it just takes longer to get hot but once its boiling its boiling.. :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Forgot to add, just verify that your thermostat looks and measures like this one.
Attachments
Original Thermostat.jpg
Original Thermostat.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 8135 times

Michael

Post by Michael »

Wilkie wrote:If you battle to get a new thermo housing..close that hole off with a welsh plug and drill a 4mm hole in it..
that small hole in the housing only helps to get the water that sirculates in the cylinder head chambers to warm up quicker in cold conditions and once the thermostat opens it closes that port off and forces the hot water through the radiator..
that's also why people remove the thermo and thinks the vehicle is running cooler and its not it just takes longer to get hot but once its boiling its boiling.. :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Errol, I have done a couple of mods on these. What I do is completely close the hole in the thermostat housing by usually having it TIG welded.
I then use a normal Nissan 1400 (non bypass) thermostat and drill a 5mm hole in the thermostat to make sure the water circulates a bit and it helps quite a bit initially to get the air out of the system.
I would advise not to drill a hole in the newly closed hole as this will cause some of the water to circulate through the engine and not the radiator.
I have done about 5 of these conversions and all is running very well. I think this setup is very similar to what the 4.5's have?

Here is the available thermostats that work after the mod has been made
Attachments
Thermostats.JPG
Thermostats.JPG (24.46 KiB) Viewed 8108 times

Return to “09. Engines”