NOROC: Strategic Session on the "Way Forward": 2017-01-14

Planning a get together (GTG), trip or competition?

Are you interested in being a member of the NOROC?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 30

georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: George Brittnell
Nickname: georgeb
Home Town: Hartbeespoort
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

NOROC: Strategic Session on the "Way Forward": 2017-01-14

Post by georgeb »

During the 2016 YEF it was discussed and the concern was raised that the NOROC is slowly but surely losing members on an annual basis. It was decided to discuss this topic on an open Forum where everybody - not only Club members - will have the opportunity to contribute to various topics relating to the Club.

The open Forum will convene on DV Saturday 14 January 2017 from 09H30 at the venue of ADA on the Hartbeeshoek Road outside Hartbeespoort.

You are invited to join on the day and contribute during the discussions. Agenda and other detail to follow.

List of Attendees:

George Brittnell - Patrol - 2 people
Attachments
NOROC
NOROC
nissan-offroad.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 4971 times
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Re: NOROC: Strategic Session on the "Way Forward": 2017-01-1

Post by Jorrie »

I would like to urge all members of this forum to make an effort to attend. Please bring fellow Nissan Off Road Vehicle Owners with. We need to revive the club, increase the membership and resolve some issues. We can make a difference.

List of Attendees:

George Brittnell - Patrol - 2 people
Jorrie Jordaan - Patrol -2 persons
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

List of Attendees:

George Brittnell - Patrol - 2 persons
Alex Roux - 1 person
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Over the many years that I have been a member of the "Nissan Club", I had made many good friends, and many MANY memories...... in fact I got engaged on one of Vaughns Lesotho trips !!!!!!

I have also learnt a lot of new things on driving and getting the optimum usage out of my Patrol, and also my SANI at the time. As time progressed I developed a love for overlanding, and enjoy the outdoors with friends and family.

Do I enjoy belonging to the "Nissan Club" ?? Yeah, we as a family do enjoy being part of the club. Show me another club that behaves like "we" do, "we" don't do the whole ego trip of "my balls are bigger than yours" ( take that any way you want to... :rolling: :rolling: ). Its also nice to go to Hennops or De Wildt or Bosvark or Bass Lake on the odd occasion to stretch the legs of the Iron Maiden as using it as my daily drive just doesn't cut it.

I also believe that every single one of us actually enjoys the Patrol Forum and what it offers us, which is basically the same as what the " Nissan Club " gave us gave us years back and still can give us in the future. The "Club" gave a LOT to various charities and institutions that need help from all and any community, and I have a sense of pride that I was part of that.

I think the 'Nissan Club" moved forward over the years, but somehow landed up on a slightly different path than the path it probably should have been on. The "Nissan Club" was trying to be a pal of Nissan SA, and naturally so, I mean after all, we all drive Nissans. Unfortunately/fortunately, Nissan is not Toyota, and although Nissan has invested a lot of money into the Nissan Club over the years, to which we are grateful for, they are such a HUGE entity, that a small Club of even 100 members, which was more or less what the numbers were a few years back, are like a pimple on a horses ass to Nissan SA. However..... this "little club" actually did some good for Nissan SA. Our voices were heard, sometimes only as a whisper, but the were heard. Glyn Demmer, whom is always there in the background, has played a pivotal role as the link between us the owners of Patrols, hardbody's, Navara's, Pathfinders and the likes, and Nissan SA. There is so much information that is fed back to Nissan from us, and we don't even know it. Does it all get heard?? Yes, well ....ummm... yeah I think a lot of it does get heard, but I'm sure many of you know how a huge international CORPORATE company works..... things go from this department to that department to the next department then back to the beginning, until absolutely stuff all gets done..... :rolling: :rolling:

Having just said that, I want to fill you in on a few things. When my motor burnt a hole in the piston many years back, I managed to make a contact ( by lots of hardcore internet detective work ) and I got fantastic results from Nissan SA. Due to the Nissan Club now also known to Nissan SA, I have read quite a few times on this forum, how some guys have just had crap service from various dealerships. I can understand that a huge company like Nissan will have problems, I mean which company doesn't. But, I decided to forward the complaints that I saw on this forum and even the old Nissan 4x4 website through to my contact at Nissan SA to let them sort the problem out and get the dealerships to perform properly. I do believe that positive things came out of this, and often read on the same threads on the forums that they were now happy as they got the service that they wanted/expected/deserved. Again I believe that the "Nissan Club" played a very important roll behind the scene, without the backing and the hard work that ALL the people on the committee do behind the scene too, Nissan SA would probably not have taken me/us seriously enough to know that we as a tiny club actually have a bloody big kick that we can deliver to Nissan's crotch area.

With out the "Nissan Club" we almost become speechless, faceless and voiceless. What i learnt during my time on the committee, whilst seeing how some other clubs behave, and how well balanced the "Nissan Club" is, was, and I hope always will be, is genuinely heart warming. I know many guys have pulled back from the "Club" and I can understand why. This is why WE as a group of Nissan friends need to maybe take a step back and do absolutely nothing...... yeah, nothing different than what we are doing here on the Patrol forum already !!!!! On the forum we are organizing trips away, arranging day outings. Isn't that what the Nissan Club was doing, but just a little more on a formal way?

We have made some great trips here on the forum too, much like the Nissan Club did a few years back. With the Nissan Club I did some great trips to as mentioned earlier, Lesotho ( a few times ) and Witsand.... by die pink spookhuis....hahaha.

All I'm saying is that if we can align the Nissan Club with the trips that gets arranged here, the Nissan club can be of assistance in various ways. We have gotten various bits of support from the club on various events over the years so the tiny annual membership fee, which wouldn't even buy you a half decent one night out at a restaurant !!

I really hope to see ALL of you Gautengers at this meeting, even guys that weren't/aren't members at this get together.

Oh and by the way I typed Nissan Club in " " , cause thanks to Nissan ( head office not SA ) corporate bull sheeeeet causeing us to change our name a few times over the years. But it will in my mind still be the Nissan Club !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Thanks for that input Cedric. I hope it will urge members of this forum to participate in the discussion on14 Jan 17.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Indeed a comprehensive response, thanks Cedric!!

Part of our strategy for the day will be to interact with a number of prominent dealers to invite their clients to the session as well.
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Alex Roux - 1 person
Vaughn Ashford - Hardbody - 3 people
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Thanks guys.... Both Lana and I really do have a soft spot for the Club, and really want to see it flourish !!!

Alex Roux - 1 person
Cedric Warner - Patrol - 4 people
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by georgeb »

Alex Roux - 1 person
Cedric Warner - Patrol - 4 people
Rod Crompton - Patrol - 1 person
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Sorry for what follows:

A club is what you make it. There is no point 600 people pitching up and having opinions, and then at the end it's the same six guys doing all the work, because then nothing's going to change.

If you want to have a say in what the club does, join it, partake in the activities, find places to help. If you show willing, you will soon be elected and have the opportunity to start constructively shaping the club's activities and future.

The only way the club can grow is if the committee who has to do all the work can grow. Not only in numbers, but also in interests and outlook (no offence meant to any of the current members). There just isn't enough manpower and circulation of fresh ideas if year after year the same few guys make up the committee.

And because i am at this stage in a position where i can't justify the type.of commitment needed, i will not be there, because i feel it is unreasonable for me to go there, demand or ask for changes and then not beeing prepared to put in the effort to make those changes happen.

:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “29. Events”