Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Battery Advice

Post by Tinus lotz »

Buy the biggest that will fit there i think is a 95a / h and get a small c tec charger cheaper than buying new batteries every year :mytwocents:
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

Best battery I could buy in South Africa for my 4.8 GRX was the VARTA Blue Dynamic G8, 12V 95Ah 830A (bought from Deltec Power direct), had it for a year now and no problems.

You should download Nissan DataScan II for Android (its for free). Buy a bluetooth scanner dongle that you put on the diagnostic pin under the dash (buy one from Takelot.com) and then you can get your battery voltage and charging voltage when you driving around to make sure its working. Mine sits on 14 volts charging.
bruce_k
Full Name: Bruce Killerby
Nickname: Killa
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 3.0 Di to TD42T swapped GL
Home Language: English

Post by bruce_k »

NMAD wrote:You should download Nissan DataScan II for Android (its for free). Buy a bluetooth scanner dongle that you put on the diagnostic pin under the dash (buy one from Takelot.com) and then you can get your battery voltage and charging voltage when you driving around to make sure its working. Mine sits on 14 volts charging.
Off topic and no intention to high-jack the thread, but your advice to download the Nissan Data Scan II app solved my problem :clap: I have a OBDII bluetooth adapter and was trying to connect to my 2005 4.8 GRX with the Torque Pro app, but the protocols weren't talking to each other. I was aware of the Nissan Data Scan tool, but not on Play Store. I tried the free version and finally achieved connection so now my Patrol, OBDII adapter and cell are talking to each other. The downside is that I have one fault code that keeps on returning after being cleared :helpsign: It is P0340, CMP SEN/CIRC-B1 which translates to Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1. That could be part of my heavier than average fuel consumption :think:

So thread high-jack over. I'll move on, search the forum and possibly start a new thread on fault code P0340. Thanks again NMAD :clap:

P.S. The full, advert free version of Nissan Data Scan II is a mere R111.85. I'll be purchasing that cause the adverts on a free version are sooooooooooo irritating
Every dog has his day!
2006 Patrol 3.0 Di to TD42T swapped GL

NISMOnator
Full Name: Jacques Strauss
Nickname: NISMOnator
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by NISMOnator »

Hi Almal,

Update on this. So I got an smart charger to keep the bat up and power ready. For now that is my solution. Thanks for the advice. I do need advice on what size bat is the right or best to use? Manufacturer or Batt books say 646, another advice was to put a 650 or 651 in there?

I need to replace the batt in the near future?

God follows me where I tread.....

2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX = GRIZZLY!!!
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

I bought two 95A/H batteries just before the Swazi trip 1 for the green Patrol and 1for golden Patrol....R1085 each
and installed them both at the same time.now hear is a thing
the green Patrol has since been all over and was parked after the Swazi trip ,,wanted to start it last nite and the battery ...mmmm flat flat flat :redface:
the other Patrol i'm still busy fixing and testing and all sorts and hasn't driven anywhere and I thought ...mmm time to check if it would start
put the key in turned the key and it fired up straight away.
sSo this would tell me there is a old tracker or something else in there killing the battery......

So if your battery runs flat within a week of not using it and nothing was left on....trace that old left behind tracker.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero
Home Language: English

Post by Rhett »

Absolutely! In my opinion (and I'm usually wrong) trackers on a Patrol are a waste. My insurance doesn't even give me a discount if i install one, obviously seen as a very low-risk vehicle.

On my Citi Golf however... I'm away sometimes two weeks at a time and these trackers kill the battery without a trickle charger, so I remove the main battery from the vehicle as there are no electronics that get fussed.
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”