The "Moose Test" - Will your rig pass it?

David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: The "Moose Test" - Will your rig pass it?

Post by David M »

Maybe it is time for an outing to a skid pan with the Patrols. Anyone with a contact?

Or we can start our own racing formula...... Patrols with minimum 50 mm lift, mud terrains, sway bars must be disconnected and roofracks with 2 x 120 l water containers on top..... 1 000's will pay to watch that.....
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

"Remember that most domestic animals have no eye shine and an animal with its bum to you or sleeping on the warm tar also has none.."...... :rolling: :rolling: with its bum towards you .... I guess there is no brown eye shine then either.... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by iandvl »

David M wrote:Maybe it is time for an outing to a skid pan with the Patrols. Anyone with a contact?

Or we can start our own racing formula...... Patrols with minimum 50 mm lift, mud terrains, sway bars must be disconnected and roofracks with 2 x 120 l water containers on top..... 1 000's will pay to watch that.....
Following Mr De Freitas' comments on FaceBook, I reckon a Patrol vs Fortuner demolition derby would be a little more fun...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

David M wrote:Maybe it is time for an outing to a skid pan with the Patrols. Anyone with a contact?

Now you are talking David, I would love to take the Patrol on a skid pad.... it's possibly one of the most fun things you can do.
Zwartkop Raceway has a skid pad which might not be too expensive to hire for a day?
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

That is more of a driver skill than car ability.
On my bucket list is an advanced driver skills course and training for dirt roads specifically. Rally drivers are the real deal, more so than Formula 1 drivers in my view.
Cornering the car such that you go on two wheels and NOT flip over. That is what I would like to do : Getting to know you vehicle such that you know just how tight you can go without rolling. The driver of the Hilux in the clip is a good example. He knew exactly at what point to turn back again, not to mess up the car.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

Alex Roux wrote:

That is more of a driver skill than car ability.
On my bucket list is an advanced driver skills course and training for dirt roads specifically. Rally drivers are the real deal, more so than Formula 1 drivers in my view.
Cornering the car such that you go on two wheels and NOT flip over. That is what I would like to do : Getting to know you vehicle such that you know just how tight you can go without rolling. The driver of the Hilux in the clip is a good example. He knew exactly at what point to turn back again, not to mess up the car.
This is probably the best most constructive idea I have ever read on the forum and if it saves 1 life will be worth it. Mr Connan - Are you able to point us in the right direction on how to put something like this together? Gerotek with chief instructor Hannes Grobler?
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

iandvl wrote:

Following Mr De Freitas' comments on FaceBook, I reckon a Patrol vs Fortuner demolition derby would be a little more fun...
Please enlighten us on what Mr De Freitas had to say? Some of us steer well clear of facek@K and twatter etc as it could land us in trouble with our employers etc etc ...
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

ricster wrote:"Remember that most domestic animals have no eye shine and an animal with its bum to you or sleeping on the warm tar also has none.."...... :rolling: :rolling: with its bum towards you .... I guess there is no brown eye shine then either.... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
If they hear the Iron Maiden heading their way you will get pre warning when the sh!t hits the windscreen from a distance.... :rolling:
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(

Post by Dustin »

I had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD. That thing failed the Moose Test in spectacular fashion !
Kept popping tires and almost went over like a Fortuner, even after they flew a team of Jeep technicians out from the US to sort it out :tease:

Even though it was deemed "unsafe", I never felt like I was in danger, and a few times I had to swerve severely.
Look...it wasn't a Patrol, but I loved that vehicle. 177kW stock and 16km/L open road on a 3L V6 turbo diesel :surprised:
It's only downfall was it was too 'flash' and I would never have taken it anywhere near a gravel road simply because I cringe to think what it would have cost me to fix.
It was a fantastic family car for travelling with but I still prefer my old donkey Patrol :blonde: The Jeep was a glorified platkar.
Besides, there's 2 things that make a Jeep owner cry... cutting onions and the cost of parts :rolling:

I've always run all of my vehicles over the years with 2 sets of deer whistles and you really can see they work. I've seen antelope jumping out of the road to escape the noise (which can't be head by humans).
They are like R20 at Midas, but I always put more than 1 set on because they break off easily if you bump them or get too close with a high pressure washer.
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Dustin, I'm not knocking these deer whistles, but I did some research on them on the internet a few years ago, after a near hit with a cow on the Jozini road up to Kozi Bay. The information that I landed up getting was not very positive. But I do suppose having something is better that having nothing, so hence why I say I'm not knocking the product.

Have a read through this as it gives a little info about the deer whistles. The tests were based overseas but I was more concerned about the results. I assume dogs, goats, donkeys( even though they are as thick as pig sheeeet ) and various other animals hear in different ranges, it was still an interesting read....

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/artic ... r-whistles
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”