Full Name: Karl Danneberg
Nickname: Karl
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: Patrol TB48
Home Language: English

Advice needed on 2010 GRX petrol Auto

Post by karldDanneberg »

Hi Guys

This is my first post on this site, I've been reading and absorbing all the info on this site, thanks to all who contribute, your advise and contribution is appreciated.

I'm standing outside a dealer whom has a 2010 GRX Petrol Auto on their floor.

Im looking for a vehicle that I can provide the following:

1) take to work +/- 20km about 3 times per week, my monthly average is about 1000km per month
2) do 1 to 2 trips per annum up Matroosberg
3) 1 trip to Namibia per annum
4) heaps of weekend camping and fishing trips to cedarberg, Breede river and Clanwilliam
5) drag my 2.5t boat to the slip and back (max 100km round trip)
6) strong reliability and easy to fix ie no complicated diesel motors.

I've narrowed my list of vehicles down to the following with my "cons"

1) Patrol (fuel consumption)
2) Defender 110 (engine a bit under gunned for my needs)
3) LC76 (rear leaf springs and Diesel engine)
4) Jeep Rubicon (can't find any reason why I shouldn't consider the Jeep...maybe space..?)

What I love about the patrol is the engine, axles, diff, ability to modify, incredible off-road capability and the very simplistic nature of the vehicle.

My concern is the autogear box:

1) how it handles low range rock crawling. Not sure whether there is some system like Downhill Assist or similar system?
2) Do these autobox's have a good track record?
3) Are they easy to repair and reasonably priced to repair?
4) Do they have a history of failing or causing problems?

Regarding this vehicle, it appears to be clean, low Km at 90000km, keep in mind I'm buy this vehicle to keep for as long as reasonably possible ie 500k km.

The dealer is very helpful, they advised its going for inspection etc. tomorrow. The sales person asked me whether there is a list of things I'd like them to check before I test drive or make a decision?

I asked them to check

1) aircon
2) differentials
3) gear box and oils
4) engine oil
5) electronics including Windows

Can you guys suggest anything else they need to check before I start negotiating/considering this purchase?

Lastly, considering the vehicle is out of motorplan, where can I have this vehicle serviced (western cape) or should I handle this myself?

Thanking you ahead of time for your advise and time

Karl
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Advice needed on 2010 GRX petrol Auto

Post by Peter Connan »

Welcome Karl.

The defender on your list either has a high-tech diesel engine or very similar fuel consumption to the Patrol.

While i prefer a manual gearbox, there is actually surprisingly little difference in ability. Sure, the manual does some things better, but the auto does other things better.

The auto certainly has an advantage when you are negotiating an obstacle very very slowly. In rock crawling, the con is that it tends to stop against steps, and you need a well-trained right foot to maintain steady progress. The lower the gear ratio, the better the auto fares.

There are no electronic driver aids, but i have never seen a place where they seemed necessary. Your brain and foot do the job just as well, and with four discs, no downhill is long enough to overheat the brakes.

As for reliability, i think there are fewer mechanical failures, as long as the oil has not been over-heated. The patrol has an oil cooler built into the radiator, and assuming that the cooling system is functioning correctly, it won't over-heat the oil. Almost all the autobox issues i have heard of has been a result of cooling system issues.
The only thing that frequently gives issues is the diff-lock solenoid. But this is usually very easy to sort out.

I would get an engine and gearbox oil analysis done. It's cheap and gives a lot of peace of mind.

As for the jeep, it's the only worthy competitor off-road, but will not come close on the road. Take them both on the freeway and you wil know what i mean.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
karldDanneberg

Post by karldDanneberg »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice and input, your time is appreciated. I'll ask for an oil analysis.

Please advise what one can do if the oil is proven to be cooked? Walk away or drop price and repair?

Karl
Last edited by karldDanneberg on 05 Sep 2016 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Many times a change of oil sorts all the problems, but if you have some time i would walk away and find another, as it's unlikely they will drop the price enough to repair major gearbox issues.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
karldDanneberg

Post by karldDanneberg »

Thanks Peter, great advice and I'm in no hurry.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Welcome Karl.

Is this the one you interested in: http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/n ... e2999f57c1

Here is another one at similiar age and price range (low mileage): http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/n ... 2e5cc0fa38
Sure someone up here would be able to check it out for you, or even better have Graham(g-tec auto) look at it.

AFAIK Frans Fourie is a good bet wrt to servicing the vehicle. maybe the guys in the cape can comment.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
karldDanneberg

Post by karldDanneberg »

SJC

Thank for this, yes thats the one Im looking at, Ill certainly have a look at the second one.

Ive emailed the dealer with list of things to look for, Ill make my decision pending the outcome of the engine and gearbox oil analysis. Im in no hurry, and assume there will be more Patrols coming to market as our economy and rand gets battered.

What lifespan/mileage can one expect from a 4800?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Welkom
Ek het nogal n manier om patrols vir mense wat hulle soek te kry ....
My een vriend of eerder klient het n 2011 4.8 met 80000 km op met baie extras vir omtent 350k
Nuwe 33 km2 bande arb voor winch ect ect
Meer waarde vir geld
Om terug te kom na jou vraag .....defenders is goed vir een ding hulle bakke roes nie vinnig nie....lol :rolling:
Jy ga baie vêr soek om n kar met soveel rygerief asook 4x4 kapasiteit te kry .....
Daar is net nie n vergelyking nie miskien 200 cruiser naby maar het nie dieselfde no nonsense divetrain nie
As jy mooi ry kan jy kyk na 6.5km op n liter en dit is normaal vir die groot karre in die duine ga jy lekker speel :thumbup:
Lees ma waar jy wil 4.8 auto is n great family kar sand en klippe klim masjien beter en meer gemaklik is daar nie
karldDanneberg

Post by karldDanneberg »

Hi Tinus

Baie dankie Tinus, stuur aseblief fotos,kan my whatsapp op 0824947482.

Ek het al 'n LC105VX, Prado VX 4l, Disco 3 en Disco 4, al vier was fantasties, die Disco 4 en Prado was vir my die beste uit die lot, maar hulle het te veel eletroniese driver-aids ens. Ek soek simple and betroubaar vir die volgende 10 jaar. Ek is moeg van fancy motors en hul probleme.

Groete

Karl
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ek stuur more vir jou .....die eienaar van die kar kom more vir twee dae kaap toe hy ga vir my fotos deurgee hy het ook gesê hy sal die kar vir graham vat vir n laaste check maar hy diens hom al lankal .....stuur more :salute: :salute:

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”