Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Camping trailer

Post by ricster »

Not necessary bud, like I said, I was playing devils advocate here.

However I tend to disagree slightly regarding ...." I also believe that it's far more likely to roll the car than a trailer ".... the reason I say "slightly" is that yes, i agree the car will probably fall over before the trailer, but bear with me on this... with the car now falling it will pull (slingshot) the trailer, and with momentum the trailer will overtake the car, causing a slingshot effect on the car which causes an almost perpetual motion..... UNLESS the trailer has continuous 360deg rotation on these axis.

The other scenario is that the trailer causes a drag and pulls the car off an embankment. Another reasoning is that a trailer bounces FAR more than a vehicle, so the trailer could loose traction being already on a side slope, causing a flip over, and in turn pulling the vehicle ( already at the side angle ) into the ditch. I'm not saying that a tow ball set up would snap/shear in a situation like this, but like I said ... just looking at it from a very different angle.

Honestly I do thing that even a tow ball setup will just pick up the back of the vehicle and shift it around if the above scenario did happen, as I think the ball would need a rather quick sharp force to shear it....
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(

Post by Dustin »

Good info :thumbup:
When I eventually build my trailer, I'll give you a call to buy one of those couplers.

One thing I've learnt the hard way is if you've got a good thing (design or concept) is never to let the info out until you're ready to start selling.
I could have been sitting pretty now if the info wasn't leaked.
A good mate of mine is a cabinet maker and between the 2 of us we developed a mobile camp kitchen the size of a 50L fridge (Engel type) and we were busy finalizing everything but unfortunately my mate has a bit of verbal diarrhea and the info got out and suddenly the patent was registered by someone else when we applied :protest: . Long story !!! QQQ
I've still got the original prototype sitting in my garage.
Takes a CADAC 2 plate burner, russian kettle, 6 stainless mugs, 6 stainless tumblers, 6 stainless plates, 6 forks, 6 butter knives, 6 steak knives, 6 table spoons, 6 teaspoons, 3 sealable containers for coffee tea & sugar, 1L long life milk carton, small pantry compartment for food items, wash basin, 2 small pots and has a work surface.
The whole thing was going to be aluminium, lightweight and waterproof.
The idea was to have it drop onto a fridge slide or just loose in the back and when you stop for a quick break, just whip it out and make coffee and snacks.
We used it all the time when we traveled.
Thinking you can trust someone with the info just gets you properly buggered.
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Cedric, I am sure in some cases it will trip you up, while in others it will save your bacon. Imagine your trailer coming un-hitched while you are on your way down Van Zyl's, with lots of guys standing around trying to tell you where to drive?

Dustin, sounds like this was years ago, and the other party never actually went into production? If so, you can make it, because a patent lapses if the item is not in production within 18 months of the patent being granted...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Peter Connan wrote:Cedric, I am sure in some cases it will trip you up, while in others it will save your bacon. Imagine your trailer coming un-hitched while you are on your way down Van Zyl's, with lots of guys standing around trying to tell you where to drive?
Absolutely, I think a little luck can go a long way too, and of course the ..... "plan your drive - drive your plan" ... slowly and carefully and not circum to the stress of eyes watching ones every move and shouting all kinds of help.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Daniel
Full Name: Daniel Nelson
Nickname: Dan
Home Town: Cape st Francis
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 3.0 GL
Home Language: ENGLISH

Post by Daniel »

Sorry for my late reply but in the Kruger park for a month so not always able to log on!!
Some great ideas and innovations Peter, would love to see a photo or two once your trailer is on the road!
I agree with you that the manufactured trailers have very little wheel travel so also built my own trailer fitted with a braked axle rated at 2.5 tons, 1.2 meter leaf springs, panard rod, shocks and air-springs each rated at 1.5 tons...wheel travel is just under 200mm.....attaching a photo. I still bought the 5 Nissan steel rims from you for the trailer to match those fitted to my Patrol!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.78 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (179.8 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

So it's obvious that there are a few souls out there who have realized that the limited suspension travel on most camping trailers sold in SA is a problem for people used to driving real 4x4's.

As you have proven, it is possible to get good travel out of a leaf-spring setup, but the disadvantages of leaf springs is that the travel is at least partially a function of the length of the spring (there are two ways to gyppo this, but both have their own issues. The one is revolver shackles, but they only work on 4 or more wheels and even then only in low-speed situations, the other is parabolic springs, but they are eye-wateringly expensive), and longer springs become exponentially heavier. The other problem is not so much the fault of the springs but of the live axle, and that is that the chassis has to be mounted above the axle's highest point of movement.

In cars, they do this by putting curves in the chassis, but again in home-building this is difficult, heavy and expensive. The alternative is a much higher center of gravity, as the space below the chassis is difficult to use (at least mentally, as one could put tanks there, but because they need to fit fore and/or aft of the axle, they will have a far greater effect on weight distribution).

However, as mentioned before my primary objectives were light weight and good suspension travel, combined with good stability (and thus a low centre of gravity), all the other methods I could think up simply compromised one of my main targets more than I was comfortable with.

Daniel it would be interesting to know where you have been with that setup, and whether the air springs have given you any hassles?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Peter I keep a log book on the trailer and have to date towed it more than 30,000 kms and not a single problem to date.
The trailer has been to Namibia, Swaziland, Mozambique, Botswana and Lesotho.
Many trips to the Kgalagadi and on some occasions to Mabua Sehube via Nossop and the dune roads.
On one trip to Moz we did the Pafuri to Vilancoulis track road.
The trailer handles the bad and corrugated roads extremely well. My gas lights are in the nose cone and I have never replaced a mantel!!
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Thank you very much Daniel!

Some seriously corrugated roads in there (although I am not familiar with all of those areas). Were there any seriously over-grown tracks in that lot? I am still a little bit worried about punctures...
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Daniel, did I see your trailer in Shingwedzi campsight? Ek't hom met sukke laaang oe van 'n afstand geloer!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Yes Clem that was me against the fence and I am sorry that you did not pop in to introduce yourself!!
We have booked here for 18 nights then go to Satara for 3 and Malelane for another 3....
Hope to meet you one day!!

Return to “21. DIY Projects”