Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 1996 Patrol 4.2 SGL parts availability

Post by ricster »

If a reputable panelbeater ( I presume its one you chose and not the seller ) recons R8k to fix the rust, then it sounds like the rust is not major.

235 000Km is a fair bit of mileage, but also not a problem on the TB42 motor. They are also simple to fix and basically have no electronics ( ECU's etc. )

What does concern me, maybe slightly less now that the rust issue is R8k minor, is the fact that the owner has kept meticulous records of a fairly high mileage motor, but didn't take the same "care" of the bodywork by sorting out the rust issues before they got to this point, especially being that the Patrol is in the Cape..... I'm not trying to be a chop here, but purely voicing things I would be concerned about, if it was me buying that Patrol.

The brake shudder, could be a few things, also not a major issue either. It could be a small thing like simply tightening the wheel bearing up to spec again, or replacing the kingpin bearings or tie rod ends on the drag link. Worst case, it could involve excessive play on the steering wheel ( steering box recon )

" I phoned the "last one" (red one for 54K) earlier today. Apparently FSH, very low km, no issues. Owner is apparently moving overseas and wants to get rid of it quickly. Spoke to two guys at the dealership, but battled to understand them (foreign African accents). If it checks out it's possibly a super bargain. Anyone willing to go check it out? And not buy it if it's a bargain:) "

Hmmmm .... foreign African accents.... Sounds instantly scammy to me.... but hey I may be wrong. Did they tell you where the car is? Just don't deposit any money into their account.....hahaha. Is it a dealership? Whats the name of the place? If in south of JHB, I will go look at it for you.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
DH70
Full Name: Donald Hastie
Nickname: Donnie
Home Town: Melkbos
Current 4x4: NA
Home Language: Afr, Eng

Post by DH70 »

https://www.olx.co.za/ad/nissan-patrol- ... c2f78c7d17
Scam!! One of the pics have Jean-Dor motors in the background, so I phoned and Marius (owner or manager) was fuming, asked for ad details so he can contact them. It's on his floor for about 100K (240K km).
ricster wrote:What does concern me, maybe slightly less now that the rust issue is R8k minor, is the fact that the owner has kept meticulous records of a fairly high mileage motor, but didn't take the same "care" of the bodywork
The sellers story goes like this....Vehicle was bought by his old man brand new when he retired. Old man in his 80's now, not using it, so the sons had it since last year. Between him and his brother, the seller owned up to all the cosmetic issues (except rust). So yes, it's a valid point you've made, but perhaps the oldie just didn't notice it until it was too late and the sons just don't give a damn:)

Drove a 2001 4.5 grx this morning, 210000km, leather seats have seen better days, no rust, no serious dents, few small scratches, engine very clean, no oil or signs of abuse under car, nice overall. It missed two services somewhere between 150K km and 180K km, but up to date on last two (due for the 210K one now). Asking 100K, will take 85K, but needs 4 new tyres (BF Goodrich AT) and brakes probably need to be checked before roadworthy. Brakes should be a minor (have to pump twice for them to take properly).
Considering extra costs, I think 80K is a fair price, so not rushing into this one.

So total 100K (car+service+tyres) for the 2001 (210K km) vs 70K for the 1996 (235K km). I guess both are market related prices, so it's a case of you get what you pay for.

And thanks for the feedback so far, great to get insight from the experts.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

hey ... were no experts...... :lol: :lol: :lol: .... just very passionate !!!

Those missed services I doubt will make any difference to the life of that motor. They really are damn strong. In fact I cannot recall hearing about a 4.5 motor failing ( I know I will be corrected if I'm wrong ). The GRX is a great vehicle. Fight for the best deal, seats can be covered with a nice set of seat covers from Tecla, not cheap, but will be perfect for the Patrol. Maybe I'm a bit biased towards the Y61 shape over the Y60 shape, but ultimately it comes down to which one grabs you more.

Tyres.... hmmm yes well that's a whole different story. If you go for 31" ( 265/75/16 ) tyres then they are a fair bit cheaper than 33" ( 285/75/16 ), but don't look as cool, and 33" gives you an instant 1" suspension lift. But R15k is about right for tyres !!

Service..... do it either yourself, or send it to Frans as I mentioned earlier, and you will be very happy !!
Regards
Cedric
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Wilkie »

I don't know how to put links up but there is a nice 4.5 gl on junkmail R69 900.00
contact no 034 3262 154 looks like a dealer selling it ...
it was listed 21July
Goodluck
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Wilkie wrote:I don't know how to put links up but there is a nice 4.5 gl on junkmail R69 900.00
contact no 034 3262 154 looks like a dealer selling it ...
it was listed 21July
Goodluck
Here it is: http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/niss ... l/39020253
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

While the subject of wheels has been broached: That red GQ with the rust: those wheels are the original steelies. Those things have a habit of cracking where the web is welded to the rim.

Check to see if they are fitted with tubes (you can tell from the shape of the valve stem), then this has probably already started happening and then you need to budget for a set of new rims too.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
DH70

Post by DH70 »

Buying a 4.2 non turbo diesel tomorrow! My wife says I always scare everyone who drives with me because I like to put foot.....at least that problem is solved now:)
As a new owner I obviously want to touch up a few cosmetics, plus one headlight needs replacing (tiny hole due to stone). Anyone recommend an affordable supplier?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Speak to dawid volskenk he has pleanty spares :thumbup:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Headlights on a GQ are the same as the old Golf if I'm not mistaken.
Regards
Cedric
DH70

Post by DH70 »

ricster wrote:Headlights on a GQ are the same as the old Golf if I'm not mistaken.
Sorry, I wasn't clear on year model. It's a 1999 (Y61) which I'm getting. Decided against the 1996 because it was unclear what body repair costs would be and owner didn't want to go around getting quotes.

Return to “09. Engines”