Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(
Home Language: English

Turbo charging a TD42 engine

Post by Dustin »

Hi all.
Once again I'm calling on the collective knowledge of the experts.

I'm in the market for a 4.2 diesel Patrol.
I had a 4.2D and though it was an awesome machine, it was seriously lazy on uphills.
My thoughts are to get a 4.2Td :layrubber:

I've found 2 Patrols that are potential candidates.
One is a 1999 4.2D - Lots of kit and very neat / looked after.
The other is a 2000 4.2Td that only has OME suspension, dual batteries and the engine bay looks a bit rough.

The big question is :
If I take the 4.2D, how big of a job (and costs) is it to turbo the vehicle if I do it myself ? I'm not Rockefella, I'm the other fella, so the cheapest option is the only option :lol:
I'm no slouch in the workshop and have tackled all sorts of fabrication work for previous vehicles and for friends, but I've never turbo charged anything yet.
I believe that a Mitsubishi TD05 turbo is the way to go, but so far they are proving difficult to find.

Any help or suggestions are always welcome.
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Turbo charging a TD42 engine

Post by Tinus lotz »

1 turbo 5.5k
2 manifold 3.5k second hand
3 intercooler and silicone pipes 6.5k
4 madman and sender units 6k
5 76mm exhaust 3.5k
6 getting aneriod fitted to diesel pump and calibration sone 8.5k
Ze30tipe aircleaner second hand 1.5k
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Thats if you do it yourself exluding engine mods :surprised:
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Eina... but I'm not sure why I am surprised :rolleyes:

Tinus, you talk about an "Aneroid" fitted to the diesel pump. What is that exactly ?

I understand the mechanics involved for turbocharging a petrol engine, but not so sure on diesel.
On petrol you have the turbo creating boost, the waste gate is set to a boost pressure threshold and you have the engine management system taking inlet manifold pressure, exhaust gas temperature, engine revs and inlet air temperature.
I'm not so sure how an old donkey mechanical diesel setup would work in controlling boost and waste gate.
I'm not sure how you control the system to open the waste gate and dump boost pressure when you drop throttle to go for the next gear, if there's no engine management system. Or is there.

You mention engine mods.
What mods would they be ?

Luckily I've got a lot of contacts that still owe me big, including a performance shop that builds rally cars and have a dyno :biggrin:
And I've got full access to large bore mandrel pipe benders, CNC machinery, high frequency tig welders, lathes, milling machines, polyurethane and silicone.
I'm sure I can make something happen for a few bucks less :cool:
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

GO PATROL !!!
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Dustin wrote: Tinus, you talk about an "Aneroid" fitted to the diesel pump. What is that exactly ?
Here is a link to give you an explenation of exactly what the aneroid/boost compensator does.
But in short it mechanically gives more fuel to match the more air that is being forced into the engine via the turbo

https://www.tillix.com.au/mechanical-di ... ne-tuning/
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Look iam no expert but i more or less watch Micheal work every day on my way home .....lol WWW
The aneriod comes on top of your feul pump to give more feul as the boost goes up . It makes your rack in pump move along the feul pin cam without you putting your foot down .it keeps all the levels of feul to air correct :oldtimer:
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I've been looking online for turbo kits and builds on TD42 motors.
Does anyone know why some would run the turbo direct to the intake manifold and not through an intercooler ?
Is there any advantage to this, because I can't see how that can be good for the engine.
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

GO PATROL !!!
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Less work when you buy a bolt on kit ....the biggest work on my 4.2 was to fit the cooler ....the UD 40 lorrie also runs without a cooler . You use more feul . Oom mac gets 7 with his and i get 8 km per liter. def more performance out of cooler air efficiency wise but yes can work without it
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

The money to do it is a lot for sure.... but there is a load of satisfaction, and it doesn't matter how old one is, but when that turbo whistles on spool up and gives you a whoosh between gear changes...... it's like looking at those hidden magazines you know you shouldn't be looking at.....hahahaha.... very..... ummmmm .... shall we say uplifting?? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Some of the Aussies run theirs without an intercooler, but personally I would definitively have one, with a fan (if top mount ) to assist with slow speed hard driving.

Aneroid ( compensator ) is pretty much what the other guys have said. It controls the fueling when under no boost or when boost is achieved. There will be a thin pipe from the compressor side of the turbo connected to a "T" piece where one side connects to the turbo waste gate actuator, and the other connects to the injector pump aneroid ( compensator ) ( excuse the oil on my turbo.... but she is a little tired now and needs some attention )
thin pipe from turbo to IP and Wastegate
thin pipe from turbo to IP and Wastegate
DSC_0625 a.jpg (235.14 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
aneroid on top of injector pump
aneroid on top of injector pump
31082010766.jpg (371.21 KiB) Viewed 6215 times
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

You'll also be fine without the boost compensator (an "aneroid" really sounds like something you should be taking pills for!)...

The problem when tuning the engine without an android is that the diesel pump won't increase it's delivery according to the boost level (which is what you want), so you have to optimise the pump delivery for either on-boost or off-boost. Obviously you'll adjust it for on-boost fueling, which means that the pump will supply too much fuel when the turbo is off-boost. That causes momentary over-fueling, resulting in some smoke when pulling away briskly.

Because the puff of smoke is always behind me (unless I storm off in reverse gear!) and it only happens for a brief moment, I am very happy to save the money I would have spent on an android and rather spend it on nice set of tires, a fridge/freezer, or something for my wife (how did this end at the back of the sentence?). As you may have guessed by now my TD42 does not have a hemorrhoid...

PS: This is a problem that only afflicts the old TD42 engines. The later engines had an ECU that controlled the fuel delivery based on air-flow, accelerator pedal position, engine temperature, phase of the moon, etc. It also took all the fun out of endlessly fussing with the fuel screw on the diesel pump :lol:

PPS: Inter-coolers cool the turbo-charged air down, allowing for higher boost than without them (yes, please!), and for increased engine life (cold air is less likely to result in detonation, overheating, etc.).

PPPS: There's no need to worry about blow-off valves for your turbo on the TD42 engine, because the engine does not have a butterfly valve on the intake manifold. As a result there is never a chance of boost building up (like it would on a petrol engine when you release the pedal), unless the engine stalls. Boost level is controlled by the turbo's wastegate, and that is controlled only via the wastegate actuator. Unless you drive a 3.0 diesel, in which case the ECU gets involved big time in controlling boost levels...
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)

Return to “09. Engines”