OEBIE
Full Name: SOULBY KITCHING JACKSON
Nickname: OEBIE
Home Town: KIMBERLEY
Current 4x4: PATROL GRX 4.8
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

REAR BUMPER REPLACEMENT

Post by OEBIE »

Hi! I had an Ironman bull bar installed recently. It has 2 slots for fitting a HI-Lift jack but at the back there are no jacking points, only a tow bar. Would you suggest I have the rear bumper replaced with one that has jacking points or have jacking points fitted to the tow bar? (? how :confused: ) Which rear bumper would you recommend?
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: REAR BUMPER REPLACEMENT

Post by SJC »

I am considering fitting hilift jacking points on the sides of the towbar bracket. Not sure if yours got the same setup.
Attachments
IMG_2982.JPG
IMG_2982.JPG (328.6 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Post by David M »

Gentlemen - Without trying to be funny have you ever tried jacking a Patrol from any point other than under the axle. With the articulation you jack forever before anything leaves the ground.

If you do insist or it is an emergency kill 2 birds with one stone and fit a set of PC's rocksliders. I have jacked it up under them and it works and the outer pipe stops the jack from dinging the vehicle.

One of my future projects is to fit some attachment points under each wheelarch to be able to fit a really big ratchet strap around under the axle before jacking to minimize the wheel travel but at the moment that is project no 437.

For the fun of it jack it up on the Ironman bumper and see what happens...... and it is even worse at the back.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Mini Patrol wrote:... have you ever tried jacking a Patrol from any point other than under the axle..
short answer: yes. (and my front jacking points sit quite high).
jack.jpeg
jack.jpeg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2931.JPG (408.46 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Last edited by SJC on 02 Jul 2016 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

SJC wrote:
Mini Patrol wrote:... have you ever tried jacking a Patrol from any point other than under the axle..
short answer: yes. And it does work. (and my front jacking points sit quite high).
It does work but it is a lot harder than any other vehicle I have jacked. Was trying to give you a decent excuse to get the rocksliders.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Mini Patrol wrote:
SJC wrote:
short answer: yes. And it does work. (and my front jacking points sit quite high).
It does work but it is a lot harder than any other vehicle I have jacked. Was trying to give you a decent excuse to get the rocksliders.
In that case I agree with you, better get rocksliders. :thumbup: :rolling:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
OEBIE
Full Name: SOULBY KITCHING JACKSON
Nickname: OEBIE
Home Town: KIMBERLEY
Current 4x4: PATROL GRX 4.8
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by OEBIE »

I suppose, what I already have, is a better idea than trying to jack up the Patrol by the chassis. Thanks for the reply.
When you recover a stuck vehicle, what you want to achieve, is to get a wheel out of the hole so you can fill it up with rocks etc. I can't imagine wanting to replace a wheel when stuck in the mud :redface: .
What I've been carting around without ever having to use it is a jacking platform with straps and 2 hooks that lift a wheel up by the spokes. :idea: Problem solved!
Has anybody tried jacking a Patrol with a jacking bag? The one you use the exhaust gas to inflate the bag. Does it lift high enough to lift a wheel off the ground? :think:
Problem with fitting jacking points to the tow bar is that they will have to be quite long to clear the back bumper and even longer on the right under the spare wheel!
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by David M »

OEBIE wrote:I suppose, what I already have, is a better idea than trying to jack up the Patrol by the chassis. Thanks for the reply.
When you recover a stuck vehicle, what you want to achieve, is to get a wheel out of the hole so you can fill it up with rocks etc. I can't imagine wanting to replace a wheel when stuck in the mud :redface: .
What I've been carting around without ever having to use it is a jacking platform with straps and 2 hooks that lift a wheel up by the spokes. :idea: Problem solved!
Has anybody tried jacking a Patrol with a jacking bag? The one you use the exhaust gas to inflate the bag. Does it lift high enough to lift a wheel off the ground? :think:
Problem with fitting jacking points to the tow bar is that they will have to be quite long to clear the back bumper and even longer on the right under the spare wheel!
Air Jack is much easier but the best I could find (Takla) was 2,5 Ton capacity. I know my vehicle is more than 3,5 Ton when fully loaded but you generally only want to lift 1 corner so may be ok.

The only negatives are packing space and no sharp objects - ie Kalahari thorns.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

OEBIE wrote: Problem with fitting jacking points to the tow bar is that they will have to be quite long to clear the back bumper and even longer on the right under the spare wheel!
No not really, it doesn't have to protrude past the bumper. I measured it the other day. (will take a photo later to illustrate this). Only the front part (maybe 5 cm) of the "jack extension" have to be in the jacking point to work.
My front bumper's jacking points only allow about 5cm of the jack extention/shaft to be inserted, it works fine like that.

I saw a photo of someone on the forum's patrol, who got jacking points on the towbar bracket where I pointed out. Just cant find that photo now.

That said, If I had the money i would get a replacement bumper.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+