Thought I''d post this here - carrying on from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6045
I got around to replacing my headlight lens today.
First, we strip off the corner light assembly, front grill and trim bit underneath the headlight to remove the headlight assembly with the broken lens.
Next step was to remove the six metal clips supporting the lens and then soak the headlight in very hot water (not boiling, but hot) for about 15 minutes. The broken lens came out with very little effort, although one had to sit and pick little bits of glass out of the glue with tweezers. The picture shows the headlight assembly and my "new" lens.
I then cleaned the lens reflector in the headlight assembly thoroughly as well as the inside of the new lens. Note: when drying / polishing the inside of the lens as well as the lens reflector, use paper (such as a paper kitchen towels) and not cloth. And then I let the light assembly dry out completely (there are "draining" holes in the headlight assembly, but I wanted it nice and dry). Thereafter, I used the wife's hair dryer (*never* *ever* *ever* mention this to her please) to re-heat the glue inside the headlight assembly until it was nice and tacky. I then pushed the lens back in, sealed the outside with a bit of silicon and reclipped the six retaining clips.
And finally, I put everything back together again.
It seems to work, but I've got no idea how well-stuck the new lens is. It seems to be very well stuck, but I've got no idea whether the lens is just going to fall out when driving rough roads or similar. I don't think it will, but I guess I will only know when I do so....
It's a bit of a painstaking job, and quite messy (that glue is terribly sticky). However, it is quite straightforward. Hope it helps someone.