Unkredible
Full Name: Bruce Williamson
Nickname: Unkredible
Home Town: Rivonia
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 3.0GL converted to TD42i
Home Language: E

ZD30 Head Gasket

Post by Unkredible »

Can anyone recommend a reliable workshop to replace a head gasket on a hand grenade?
Vehicle has had numerous issues since SAC rebuild, most of which I corrected myself after numerous failed attempts to have them done properly. Engine started blowing water out of coolant filler bottle and Silvertons diagnosed head gasket / cracked head...
Troll has been standing for 6 months while I figure out my next move...
Any suggestions would be most welcome
Thanks!
2005 Patrol GL ex 3.0d now TD42
285x75x16 MT
40l S/S Nat Luna Beer Fridge, with Draught tap...
Bigger Intercooler, EGT, Boost Gauge
DC-DC Charger
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: ZD30 Head Gasket

Post by ricster »

Unfortunately, but in my opinion, bite the bullet and buy a genuine Nissan head gasket. For the head, up your side of the world, I don't know anyone. However there is a guy in Alberton who sorted out my 4.2 diesel head for me, and all is well on my motor. The company is called Engine Rebuild Center ( 011 907 9476 ) Speak to Willem ( owner ) and tell him Cedric referred you, and he will look after you.

You can take him the head with everything in and he will do a pressure test to see if the head does in fact have a crack. He also won't bullshhhhhh you.

Something to be aware of, but I am not sure if the same applies to a 3.0 motor, but on the 4.2 motor it is SUPER important that the sleeves are either PERFECTLY flush or protrude the height of the block by a fraction of a mm. If not the head gasket rings don't seal properly and with the huge compression of a diesel motor you will get blowby, which could be what is happening with your motor.

Have a read through this...... Its a bit long but this specific post by Frans ( Touir de Frans ) mentions the protrusion. This man knows his stuff with diesels and specifically the Patrol diesels !!!

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... =40#p11358
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: ZD30 Head Gasket

Post by Wilkie »

Hi Bruce
just read your post on cylinder head ,the problem I have picked up on a couple of engines I recond ,when the engineering company skims the cylinder head and cylinder block ,the result is not a smooth finish but a rough finish
and that in the olden days was ok because the gaskets weren't made of steel and beds nicely into the grooves,but with a steel gasket and stretch headbolts......it does not seal properly. so before you go and have the cylinder head crack tested
and all sorts ,check the finishing on both head and block. it has to be a smooth finish :mytwocents: :mytwocents:

Return to “09. Engines”