What To Buy

Nissan Patrol Reference Library. Reference Information, both general and technical
RTP
Full Name: Richard Poalses
Nickname: RTP
Home Town: Boksburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

What To Buy

Post by RTP »

Hi Guys

I am looking at gettting my first Patrol have wanted one for some time now .
looking for advice do I get the 4.5 or the 4.8 GRX and what must I look for when buying a Patrol?
Regards
RTP
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: What To Buy

Post by Tinus lotz »

Hello welcome here all depends on avalable funds the feul is about the same 4.5 is great 4.8 just more power looking at 100k for 4.5 and starting around 150k for 4.8 ....happy hunting let us see some picks and we can help check :salute:
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Welcome Richard!! :salute: :salute:
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
RTP
Full Name: Richard Poalses
Nickname: RTP
Home Town: Boksburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by RTP »

Thanks Guys

What I am looking for is problems on these Patrols that one need to look for when buying a used one .
Regards
RTP
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Luckily there is very little that can go wrong on a petrol Patrol. They are pretty much bulletproof !!

The only weak spot on a Patrol is the standard difflock. Personally, I believe that this is maybe not a bad thing, and here's why....

The suspension and drive train is so over designed on all the Patrols, with massive side shafts and bearings and a huge diff which makes a Landcruisers diffs look like matchboxes, that if you put the vehicle in a situation that something is going to break, rather let it be the difflock. A difflock can break and you can still drive home.... a little miserable perhaps, but still better than waiting for a flatbed for hours and massive costs repairing massive drivechain components.

The other weak spot is fuel consumption.... but if you want fuel light consumption, then maybe a Nissan Leaf would be a better bet...... :rolling: :rolling: .... none of us here bought our Patrols because they get great fuel consumption.

These machines are the best and most underrated 4x4's in their class !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

I have had 3 now, all petrol the 4.2 GQ, the 4.5 GU and the current one the 4.8 GU GRX, all amazing trucks but I would say the one I am most happy driving is the 4.8 perhaps that is because it is an auto but the power is great!

Problems not realy they are just about indistructable, only real "problem" I can think of is that the oil barons smile everytime someone buys one!! :rolling: But saying that my son's Disco 1 V8 is worse than my 4.8 Patrol
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Richard

Welcome to the forum.

On the older models you can have a look if the viscus coupling is still working on the radiator fan. Also have a look at the fan, they tend to crack. There is a place in Cape Town that sells them for +-R750. Make sure the difflock works. On the Patrol they are not used much and tend to get stuck. They work with a vacuum and the pipes can perish/pinch.

It the vehicle is a manual the clutch will need to be replaced at +-250 000 km. This is a R7500-R10 000 bill so find out if this has been done.

The 4.8 has more power, the 4.5 has less electronics, same fuel consumption. If you can afford it go for the 4.8 GRX. The GL version is normally a bit cheaper. GRX has more bells and whistles. Also if you have the money go for the face-lift model. I think after 2005 (not sure exactly).

Graham (Pathmake on the forum) is the guru on Patrols and is in Valhalla, I see you are in Boksburg. He will also go through a vehicle free of charge for you to see if there are any hidden problems. You can also service you vehicle with him at a reasonable price.

All the best on finding your car. :thumbup:
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts

Return to “07. Reference Library”