Windshield Seal / Extrusion

Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Windshield Seal / Extrusion

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Hizit lads,

I'm going to be replacing my windshield when my vehicle goes in to the panelbeaters to remove a rust patch at the top of the glass above the drivers position, where the roof line meets the seal / glass.

As i fear the seal is compromised due to this rust issue, and possibly made worse when they remove the glass, im trying to figure out the following:

- Does the Seal around the windshield need to be replaced each time a new windshield is fitted for a factory finish result ?

- Does this need to be supplied my me? or is this also included in the job-card when new glass is ordered and fitted?

- If not, does Nissan stock this item and is it in the country ? (readily Available)

NOTE: I am German,.. so please dont tell me Glass companies will just "fill up all bad areas with black glue/slicone" and "make it fit your old seal",... cause i'm afraid i may loose my mind if thats the case.... i dont know if my nerves can deal with that.

I want a proper factory result once the job is done.

Advice welcome!
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Windshield Seal / Extrusion

Post by Peter Connan »

Russ, I don't want to sound funny here, but there is a reason they use that black silicon stuff on all modern car's windscreen fittings. It works very much better than the older-style rubber beading as used in our cars. The only disadvantage is that it will destroy the rubber next time it is removed.

Particularly if there has been rust in that area, I doubt you would get the standard seal (even a new one) to fit.

But yes, if you want to stay with standard, then replacement is good practise. If you possibly have enough time to prepare, get a little piece from somewhere and take it to somebody like Proauto Rubber to see if they have that section rather than running straight to the agents.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Hey Pete,

I did some investigating, and it seems the Nissan seal is a 2 piece affair. Moulding, and Fastener.

The glass people said their system reflects as a "no-glue" item on their stock page,.. and that the new seal will be included in the claim. So i'm very chuffed.

I'm leaving it up to them to sort out, so if there are any leaks i have some recourse.

I will of course post my findings after the fact for the benefit of the forum users, as usual.

I hope they get it right.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Herr Kellermann, ve only vont to hear vun click, ja !!!..... :rolling: :rolling:

Having a little Austrian ( better than Germany ....... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: )blood flowing through the veins, I understand where you are coming from.

I've had my windscreen replaced twice on the Iron Maiden. The first time they reused the existing rubber as the glass rests on a bed of that black silicone on the rubber. The bottom of the glass rests on 2 plastic spacers that sometimes get damaged from other issues that make them brittle. I developed a tiny leak on the window ( and a crack thanks to roadworks ), and the harder plastic beading kept falling out of the groove in the rubber that it was supposed to rest in so I took it back to the guy They changed the window for me and replaced with new rubber and hard plastic beading and its been perfect ever since. So in ze nutshell ja.... a new rubber and a little black silicone would be the best. The window guys that did mine was National Autoglass. Let me know if you need a number to maybe have a chat with him. He was very helpful.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Thanks for that Ricster,.. im more clear now on what is most hard wearing.

I should know later on what the glass folk have done... they seemed to be pretty clued up,... buuuuuuuuuuuut, .. ja, the proof is in the pudding.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Update:

My Patrol windsceen was replaced. Mutual and Federal said i could use either someone like PG Glass etc etc,.. or a company Called "GrandGlass" which is facilitated through AutoBoys countrywide.. With grandglass i pay no excess. (Excess only R350.00)

I went with GrandGlass and i just wanted to say how incredibly professional they were. I received constant updates from their manager "Charl", at the Claremont branch. My vehicle was in for minor body repairs /dent repairs at the panelbeater "Nicol Coachworks" in retreat. Charl organised the exact seals and kit, which he ordered through Nissan (original). I was surprised to read that they include this in the claim so i didnt have to pay for the seal kit (R1,800.00 saving).

He informed me of the glass arrival, and also 2 days later of the seal kit arrival from Jhb,..

Upon inspection when i went to get my truck, i was more than pleased with the neat, factory finish result that his team had done. The seal kit is a slightly different design to the one i had in there previously,.. much much better.

The glass he supplied also had the mild shaded top strip, which helps with sunlight.

I'm very pleased with this company and i will be writing a letter to his Head of office in Jhb.

Russ.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Nice !!!....My new one also came with the blue bit on the top.... It really makes a difference if you never had it before
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
rvanrooyen
Full Name: Roland van Rooyen
Nickname: Roland
Home Town: Cape Town, Mamre
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by rvanrooyen »

Do you think it is the same guys as Grandmark ? Also having my windscreen (Golf) replaced by them. If the same guys, thanks for the feedback.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Yes, i believe "AutoBoys" is the company used by grandglass to fit all grandglass products. The closest to me was Claremont,... so all southern suburbs folk would probably deal with that branch.

In the very first few conversations between myself, my broker, the insurance company, and grandglass there was some confusion that very almost stuffed up my timeline when they mistakenly passed it on to Bloemfontein branch, then, the milnerton branch (which was a bugger up as i needed them at very particular times to remove for panelbeaters etc etc).... anyway, Charl took care of everything in lightning fast action and everything happened either on time, or ahead of time. they were very very good. Constant calls just to let you know whats happening.

We are currently in flood here in CT and there is the installation was definitely a success... dry as a bone in my bakkie.
rvanrooyen
Full Name: Roland van Rooyen
Nickname: Roland
Home Town: Cape Town, Mamre
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by rvanrooyen »

Thanks. Insurance company will let the do the installation at the panel beaters. Also no access if I use them.

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”