Which VHF Radio

Communication & Navigation Equipment: VHF, UHF, GPS, Satellite phones ETC.
Overdrive
Full Name: Rod Crompton
Nickname: Rod
Home Town: Jhb
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: English

Re: Which VHF Radio

Post by Overdrive »

Christo,
You said:
2. If you actually spend a lot of time on safari, driving in convoy with a 10 km gap between the vehicles, you may (possibly) be better off with a mobile radio. But if your antenna is mounted on your bull-bar (meaning that it will radiate mostly to the rear of your car) and you try to chat to the guy in front of you, you may just be better off using your handheld any way.

Is there another place one can put the antenna so that I can actually talk to the bloke 10 km in front of me? :confused:
The problem with the roof rack may be trees and branches (powerlines?) and what about when the roof rack is off?

Can one get hand held VHFs that are more than 5W? (then I can just send SWAMBO up onto the roof rack :lol: ).
Patrol 4.2 SGL
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JoshJ »

Normally attena's are mounted on the front bullbar. You get a mount that alows you to turn it flat onto the bull bar when not in use, then it doesnt stand up-right the whole time.
I once travelled with a friend of mine who's is mounted infront on his bullbar. I used his spare handheld with a plug in magnetic antenna. He drove in front of me, and sometime I was infront. We never had any isseus. qaulity and connection was very good. He also uses his attenna as a tell tale when driving. It is the same hight as his rooftop tent. So if the attenna catches he knows his tent will. Thus saving him a heap of damage. :mytwocents:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Overdrive wrote:Is there another place one can put the antenna so that I can actually talk to the bloke 10 km in front of me? :confused:
The problem with the roof rack may be trees and branches (powerlines?) and what about when the roof rack is off?
Go for the shorter type 1/4 wave-length antenna and mount it just ahead of your windscreen. They're short enough to leave in place permanently, since they do not extend above your roof. They do lose out in total transmission strength ("gain") compared to the longer 5/8 wave antennas, but they work better in hilly areas as a result of their wider radiation pattern. Due to the more centralised location on your vehicle you will transmit a bit better all around your vehicle. Your Patrol will also look more symmetrical, since you'll have an antenna of similar length on both sides :biggrin:
Overdrive wrote:Can one get hand held VHFs that are more than 5W? (then I can just send SWAMBO up onto the roof rack :lol: ).
Dunno for sure, but I seriously doubt it. That small battery just won't handle the currents involved with large transmission power, and if you were to accidentally touch the antenna whilst transmitting at high power you'll know all about it :shocked:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

I found that the handheld ones are not powerful enough you can hear someone but he can't hear you becouse of lack of watts
Overdrive
Full Name: Rod Crompton
Nickname: Rod
Home Town: Jhb
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: English

Post by Overdrive »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Its seems to be the same with everything that we do with 4x4s. We want our bread buttered on both sides and we cant have it. :biggrin:
Patrol 4.2 SGL

Return to “20. Comms”