Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Warn Winch Service

Post by iandvl »

I gathered my Warn winch needed a little TLC and a good service. Since I've got a service manual for the winch, it's a relatively straight-forward job and I enjoy getting my hands dirty, I have decided to do this myself.

I took the winch out a couple of weeks ago, and it has been lying in my garage waiting for me to have the time to look at it. I've also been digging around to find the various bits I need to service the thing. Apart from the winch, the control box and cables also need some TLC (solenoids were getting stuck, cables getting very hot and similar). The cables I can have manufactured to satisfactory specifications in Brits, but I had to source new solenoids. The service kit I can also get in Brits from the local Warn dealership. I've not enquired about price yet.

The warn.co.za web-site lists new 28396 solenoids as having a recommended selling price of R425 excluding VAT. Using my Internet-foo, I was able to find an online supplier at R328 (inclusive). I ordered 4 for for R1312 plus an extra R100 for shipping.

This is where things get funny: believe it or not, the online reseller is: shopping.all4women.co.za. Don't believe me ? Look at http://shopping.all4women.co.za/product ... B000CQFUIY. Also search for winches and similar - they've got a ton of items. I assume that this is because every woman needs a winch and other 4x4 accessories... :rolling: :rolling:

The prices of the solenoids posted on the link are R351.00 now as opposed to the R328 I paid. I assume this is due to changes in the USD-ZAR exchange rate.

There is a single disadvantage: They're a straight import organisation and the stuff gets imported from the USA as it is ordered. This means my order has taken about 20 working days to arrive. Happily, though, my wife has informed me that my solenoids were delivered this morning. :woo: :woo:

I've not seen the packaging yet but, considering where I bought these from, I am going to be uber-annoyed if the winch solenoids did not arrive in a pink box with a ribbon around it...

I will be getting the service kit and having the cables made up over the course of the week. The actual process of rebuilding the control box and servicing my winch will start this weekend. I shall post pictures.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Warn Winch Service

Post by Tinus lotz »

Cool man ....upgrade the cables to min 50mm2 ask chris what a difference it makes :thumbup:
I have all the correct crimping tools if you need a hand :thumbup:
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

If you open that winch be very careful not to dismantle the brake system that resides inside the drum - this unit is pretensioned by a spring and if you take it apart you will never get it together again - I had to take it to an expert to get it sorted... :mytwocents:
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Chris Skinner wrote:If you open that winch be very careful not to dismantle the brake system that resides inside the drum - this unit is pretensioned by a spring and if you take it apart you will never get it together again - I had to take it to an expert to get it sorted... :mytwocents:
Chris - thanks for the info. The manual I have has details about dealing with this. I think I will get it right. If not, I have a service centre here I can take it to. I am tempted to service all, so I am probably going to strip everything down. If I do battle with the brake, I guess I will have to get some expert advice. I think it is worth the effort trying though... Yes - I have been warned (no pun intended), but I need something to keep me sane in the little bit of time I jave between my work and my thesis. Mucking around with gear trains and electronics appeals to me at the moment... :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Chris Skinner »

If you do get it together again, the best way to check it is to hook the winch on something, engage the gear lever and then try pulling it by reversing in low range...
I screwed up a winch motor because brake was not working well and everytime I stopped winching, the boat started rolling back off the trailer, so could not let the amps build and motor cool off.
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

winch/wench

Post by David »

Dictionary definition of winch/wench

noun

a girl or young woman: now a derogatory or jocular term

Archaic
  1. [1] a country girl
  1. [2] a female servant
  1. [3] a sexually loose and immoral woman
No wonder you got it from All4Women but any one of the 3 can be nice :rolleyes: - Just not sure what your wife will say :lol:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Chris Skinner wrote:If you do get it together again, the best way to check it is to hook the winch on something, engage the gear lever and then try pulling it by reversing in low range...
I screwed up a winch motor because brake was not working well and everytime I stopped winching, the boat started rolling back off the trailer, so could not let the amps build and motor cool off.
Chris,

Thanks - I appreciate the advice.

Just a note: I'm not disregarding your warning regarding the brake or taking it lightly. I just have an urge to sit and tinker with stuff at the moment. I seem to spend all my waking hours in front of a computer between work and thesis at the moment, and just have the urge to embark on some more mechanical distraction for a bit. :)

Ian
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

David,

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Chris Skinner »

iandvl wrote:
Chris Skinner wrote:If you do get it together again, the best way to check it is to hook the winch on something, engage the gear lever and then try pulling it by reversing in low range...
Chris,

Thanks - I appreciate the advice.

Just a note: I'm not disregarding your warning regarding the brake or taking it lightly. I just have an urge to sit and tinker with stuff at the moment. I seem to spend all my waking hours in front of a computer between work and thesis at the moment, and just have the urge to embark on some more mechanical distraction for a bit. :)

Ian
No problem Ian - I have also service my winch annually and also did an upgrade on the motor - I like getting my hands dirty now and then too! :thumbup:
The upgrade turned my M8000 into a monster - If you interested in more info let me know.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: David .... you're a legend my friend !!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “21. DIY Projects”