Nickname: Tej
Home Town: durban
Current 4x4: 95 Patrol SGL 4.2D,
02 Hardbody 3L TD
Home Language: english

Looking for a diesel GQ

Post by DMH »

Hey All

Thanks for the welcome on my first post!

As I'd said, my younger brother is the one who got me hooked on the GQ Patrols - and he's itching to get one now that I've found mine. He's got either a Colt clubcab or a Pajero blister fender, both 2.8tdi's if anyone keen for a swop! :wink:

The diesels are pretty hard to come by - but when they do, what would you say is a fair price for one? And suppose would be looking between 250-350k kms?

And just how much is performance improved with a turbo? Mine is the std 4.2d - 85kw and 265Nm. But I'm happy enough with it for now and it's what I intend using for proper overlanding, so best to leave it that way. My bro may wish to go TD - anyone have the power stats on those?

I paid R60k for mine. 265k km on the clock, incl the winch- here's the ad:
http://potchefstroom.olx.co.za/nissan-p ... -779381924

The bodywork has plenty scratches and marks and definitely needs a repaint - any recommendations on wraps/etc that I could do at a good price?

Would you say I got it for a fair price?

Would really appreciate your insights Trollers!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Looking for a diesel GQ

Post by ricster »

The basic standard 4.2 petrol GQ's go for around the R50-60 mark on average, but with extras can go up a bit .... having said that that, the 4.2 diesel GQ's tend to go for a slightly higher price, I believe purely on the rarity of them. The ones with a SAFARI turbo fitted are worth even more than a standard turbo conversion ( purely due to the SAFARI turbo kit specific for the Patrol - imported from Australia) I know of one GQ 4.2 diesel Patrol fully kitted that if you offered R145 000 for I believe you would be getting the deal of a lifetime. That is how fantastic that Patrol is !!!

On Yours, I believe you got a good deal there. A few scratches..... phhhhhhh ... .that adds character. Personally I would never wrap a car. A slight bit of rust or moisture stuck under that wrap will leave you with a big headache later on. I would rather take it to a panelbeater and let them rub down and repair any problem areas and respray. Then you are good to go for many, many km's

Now the turbos..... this is a difficult area. The turbos are low boost turbos. Generally they are set in JHB to 0.5bar. this is basically an altitude compensator. Down at the coast your NA diesel runs only fractionally slower/less powerful than, for an example my 4.2 turbo diesel up here in JHB. But let me come down to the coast and :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: my Patrol moves like it has just eaten that Mother in law Durban curry and needs to get to the loo where the :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: frozen toilet paper is ..... NOW!!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Push that boost up to 0.7bar, and the power difference is phenominal !! The Aussies push up over 1 bar boost. That makes the Patrol a little massive rocket....... but there is a price to pay!! Water overheating is an issue and can cost a good few Rands to rectify. EGT's ( Exhaust gass temperatures ) are a HUGE issue that needs to be maintained and monitored, again there is a price to pay. So... Its all about what you want from the Patrol.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

I must say, I would not mind Grant's green mamba next to my witblits in the garage (in spite of the diesel!)
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Please note that any GQ turbo you find is either a grey import (thus parts become an issue and Nissan expect you to pay a 100% non-refundeable deposit on any parts orders), or a modified vehicle.

Some of them are very good, some of them are terrible, so be careful.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

there is a very cool 4,2 turbo gq available for 120000 pm me i will send you the detail :thumbup:
DMH
Full Name: Tejan Pillay
02 Hardbody 3L TD

Post by DMH »

Cheers chaps!

Wahahaha Ricster you couldn't have described your TD's performance down at the coast any better!
And thanks for the advice on the wrap - canned that idea.

Hmmmm going to slowly be very tempted to fit on a turbo oneday - seems to pretty much double the power and torque!

But for now, just going to enjoy driving at no more than a 100kmph with the window down and the balmy Durban sun shining in..
DMH
Full Name: Tejan Pillay
02 Hardbody 3L TD

Post by DMH »

Peter Connan wrote:Please note that any GQ turbo you find is either a grey import (thus parts become an issue and Nissan expect you to pay a 100% non-refundeable deposit on any parts orders), or a modified vehicle.

Peter, would you mind elaborating on how they're terrible?

And are you specifically talking about the 4.2TD GQs?

Anything to look out for on the 4.2D's?

Thanks
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I'm going to jump in here quick before Peter answers you.

The TD42's are generally VERY robust, but were never designed to be turbo'ed. There are threads here ( http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... +black+top and http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... +black+top )

Now the confusing parts..... My 1999 GU Diesel Patrol has a " black top" TD42 motor. It has 30mm gudgeon pins, and has oil squirters under the pistons, but vacuum pump runs off the timing chain and not off the back of the alternator. So it seems I have a mixture of a silver and black top. However mine is not unique. I have seen 2 others with the same setup as mine, so I'm thinking Nissan sent a whole whack of 4.2 diesel GU patrols to SA with "old stock" motors that they chucked together. This is great news for us with the GU's.

Yours is more likely than not a "black top" TD42, due to the age. So is it a good one, or a terrible one ( terrible one may be a bit of a harsh word ), it's a bit difficult. Post a few pics of the motor from all directions even from the bottom. Due to the mileage ( these motors are good for at least 500 000km ), if you are willing to spend the money on a good turbo and intercooler and bigger radiator and extra external oil cooler ( the last two not a necessity, but will definitively help keep the temps down ) as well as a good EGT gauge, then rather go the whole hog. Open the motor and replace the bearings, check the pistons and rings and sleeves for wear and replace as necessary. Then you know all is good for another 500 000Km.

Service every 5000Km !!!!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Peter Connan wrote:Please note that any GQ turbo you find is either a grey import (thus parts become an issue and Nissan expect you to pay a 100% non-refundeable deposit on any parts orders), or a modified vehicle.

rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Says a owner of a GQ petrol that has a new engine . Tell how long your first engine lasted. . :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Also, for those who do not know, IC Nissan in Boksberg imported 10 x GQ Diesel 4.2'S which were sold in South Africa. Nissan warranty for 100k km. If you owned one you would know : :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: I do not have to pay deposits at Nissan and best of all I am still running with the original engine and Troll has 412k km.

As for Turbo's I have a Safari system on and it runs very well. Around 95Kw on wheels and 340 Nm. Would not want any more, and reliability is great. Just make sure you change the engine oil every 5000 km.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

DMH wrote:

Peter, would you mind elaborating on how they're terrible?

And are you specifically talking about the 4.2TD GQs?

Anything to look out for on the 4.2D's?

Thanks
I am not talking about the basic engine, there is nothing wrong with that. In it's standard form, it is one of the most reliable engines ever fitted to a car.

I am specifically talking about turbo conversions done by unknown parties. There are some people who's work you can trust any day of the week and twice on sundays, but unfortunately there are no rules about who may do what work on a vehicle.

And a turbo conversion on a diesel vehicle has the potential to ruin that engine if it's done by somebody without the required knowledge.

So a good conversion is potentially both powerful and bulletproof, but a bad one can cost you a lot of money.

So all I am saying is, if you are looking at a GQ turbodiesel in SA, do as much homework as you can:
1) How long (in kilometers) ago was the conversion done?
2) Who did the work (and then what is their reputation)?
3) Look at the visible quality of any work done. These are probably not the items that will cause problems, but are an indication of the approach followed.
4) Is there an EGT gauge fitted, and was it fitted during the conversion? If there is, what does the current owner consider maximum allowable temp?
5) Is there a service history?
6) During the test drive, work it fairly hard up a long hill and check for any signs of high EGT's and high water temps.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “37. Vehicles Wanted”