Difflock functioning

Transmissions, Transfer Boxes, Axles, Drive Shafts
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Difflock functioning

Post by Alex Roux »

I notice he also advertises the electromagnetically activated E Locker
But does not mention it as an option for you.
I assume they do not make them for Patrols?
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

There is a video on Youtube (and I think it is accessable through Lokka's website) showing how the auto-lockers work.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
vanhack
Full Name: Siddharth Patel
Nickname: Sid
Home Town: Dubai, UAE
Current 4x4: Y61 LWB Patrol TB48E, Auto
Home Language: English

Post by vanhack »

Just a couple of comments, I have looked at the Eaton locker, as they were exhibiting last year at a the local auto industry show. Looked a very good product. But for me to justify the need for another locker in the front is not high. There are a couple of more things that would be useful to me for similar money. Also installation is not easy here, as not many installs of lockers.

Just another note, I have a 2012 model y61, and the rear factory locker engages in 4H, although I have read on this forum and the ozzie one that it does not. I also read the owners manual, and Nissan also says that it will engage in 4H, but not in 2H.
Y61 LWB Patrol TB48E, Auto
Distributor for www.quickpitchgcc.com in Middle East & India
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Alex Roux wrote:I notice he also advertises the electromagnetically activated E Locker
But does not mention it as an option for you.
I assume they do not make them for Patrols?
Hi

There should be an E-Locker for the Patrol.

http://www.harrop.com.au/4wd_detail.php ... LKR9684-00
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

vanhack wrote:Just another note, I have a 2012 model y61, and the rear factory locker engages in 4H, although I have read on this forum and the ozzie one that it does not. I also read the owners manual, and Nissan also says that it will engage in 4H, but not in 2H.
It might be that the model versions in your location is slightly different, though I doubt it.
Mine (2004) definetely engages in either 4H or 4L, but not in 2H.
The GQ (pre 1997, box shape) engages in any of the three modes.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Johann 1984
Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hi Folks,

You may find this of interest. I have learned quite a lot of drivetrain components and diffs through this search for a suitable locker. I spoke to Ronald at TAC4x4 in Polokwane. According to him, the best value for money locker is the lockrite. He fits Aussie, Lokka, Lockrite and Detroit Lockers. Currently he runs ARB A/L on his vehicle but prefers Auto Lockers based on non-complicated function. I started the conversation by asking if the lockrite auto-locker will engage in 2H and the answer was no. The locker only engages once the drivetrain starts powering the front-diff, in other words, once 4H is engaged. Then, he says that the Patrol Drivetrain is second to none and the diff with its moving parts are over-engineered to such an extent that is almost impossible to brake it with an Auto-locker. He explained that the Patrol Diffs (H233B???) are enormous and the sideshafts are very strong. He went so far as saying that the sideshafts in the front diff are 260mm in diameter while a L/C bakkie rear diff side-shafts are 220 mm in diameter. Thus, the Patrol front diff is stronger than the L/C 70 bakkie rear-diff. That made me feel very military and manly. If it's true, I don't know. That's what he said. So, back to the reasoning, it is apparently very hard to break moving parts within the diff. However, he says that lockers always put strain on the diff and pinions and rings will be a weak point. On the other hand, he said that he has never seen a diff break on a Patrol due to an auto-locker. The locker works normally in turns and the vehicle csn turn although it is somewhat different than on an open diff. 4x4 capabilities apparantly increases greatly and the front auto-lockers are silent in contrast to rear auto-lockers.

Is there someone on this forum with an auto-locker? The last thing I want is a broken diff conpinent somewhere on van Zyls pass or equivalent.

Regards

Johann
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hi Marino 4x4,

The Harrop E-Locker is imported by Opposite Lock and costs 30k. Thus, it is more expensive than the ARB locker. I will phone LA Sport and ask if there's any TJM Airlockers for Patrols left in their arsenal, but I doubt it strongly.

Lastly, the cost involved in these expensive magnetic and airlocking diff locks make it difficult for me to see the value in buying them. TAC quoted me 6500 for a lockrite. For 3700, i can import a lokka (shipment to SA included) from their website.

Now, at those prices, I am willing to spend a luttle money to build a almost incomprehendibly capable 4x4. However, once again, I will do so only if convinced that the drivetrain will not break.

Johann
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Johann, what he said about the Patrol diffs is true ......They are MASSIVELY over designed....... however looking at this from a different angle.

Diffs do break on Cruizers ( not brand bashing, this does happen ) and the difflocks survive. Diffs don't break on Patrols. There is a lot of negatives about the Patrol standard diff lock being weak !! Yes it is, but I'd rather loose a difflock than a whole diff. If you put a kickass difflock in, that is designed to take some serious punishment, then at some stage something has to break if the forces are too much. Now seeing that the Patrol diffs are so strong they can take more punishment, which makes the driver push the boundary a little further, which the diffs handle perfectly, but then you push a little more...... and a little more..... and a little more..... and then there is one almighty bang ads your diff explodes after taking 4 x more punishment than a Cruizer diff could have handled....

Just saying...... Find out how many Cruizers have popped a front diff, in either forwards or reverse, with difflock on and off.

Its a nice to have but a lot of money for something I have NEVER had the need for, even when I ploughed through 600mm deep snow in Lesotho...... or mud in Botswana pans..... or beach sand in Mozambique and Atlantis dunes ( and I drive a diesel !!!)

Wimpy had an ARB Airlocker fitted to his Patrol...... but I still went up "Hells hoogte" at 3 Provinces a few seconds after he went up ( yip it was a little more difficult for us rear locker guys )..... but we went up !!! but that is for extreme stuff
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Johann 1984

Post by Johann 1984 »

Hi Ricster,

Clearly, you are the voice of reason. I appreciate the advice. After reading the post, I tend to aggree. If I'm not going to take the auto-locker, then I'll rather stay open. The prices of air-lockers are bizarre.

Thanks again

Johann
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Johan, just a question: how much experience have you got 4x4ing in your Patrol?

Seriously, the standard vehicle is so capable already, you could scare yourself to death before you ever need a front locker.
However, if you drive a lot in mud then that might be the one area where it could be adviseable, and under those conditions you probably wouldn't ever break anything either.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “10. Drivetrain”