Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR
Home Language: English

Replacing engine

Post by gupster »

Hi all.

Has anyone experienced putting a 2005 3.0 D engine and gearbox into a Y61 4.5 petrol Patrol? I believe the gearbox is the same so I would need the 3.0 D bell housing etc. Its the chassis mountings for the engine and box that worry me. I guess I will need the computer box as well. Also, are the diffs the same ratio? Can a tank that once held petrol be cleaned and then used for diesel? Sorry, lots of questions.

Many thanks.
Hi almal.

Het iemand ervaar om 'n 2005 3.0 D enjin en ratkas in 'n Y61 4.5 petrol Patrol? Ek glo dat die ratkas is dieselfde, so ek sal moet die 3.0 D Bell behuising ens Dit is die onderstel monterings vir die enjin en boks wat my bekommer. Ek dink ek sal die rekenaar boks asook nodig. Ook, is die diffs in dieselfde verhouding? Kan 'n tenk wat petrol keer gehou skoongemaak word en dan gebruik word vir diesel? Jammer, baie vrae.

Baie dankie.
Have Troll, will travel.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Replacing engine

Post by Kagiso II »

Y61 from 2001 on came with a 3.0 Di [ZD 30] engine etc..
Contact HERRIE OP SAFARIE aka Kobus Pienaar and get the CD MANUAL of the Patrol .. it will give you the diff ratios etc ..

CHARLES DUCKETT did a 4,8 conversion on his GQ 4,2 petrol Patrol .. and almost everything fitted perfect [it is a design feature of the patrol that the platform stays as is .. just the mechanicals updates ..
Computer aka ECU ?? Absolutely -- MUST have one -- else thet engine will be dead forever [less you fit it with truly OLD SCHOOL diesel pump of the 1980's 2,5 Datsun Tracker 2,5 diesel engine [NOW I'm guessing] :confused:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Barry

I would like to question why you want to do this.
If your current TB45 is dead and cannot be rescued then I understand but even then there are alternatives worth considering.

If the TB45 is not dead, then rather selll the car and buy the 3TD Patrol with the native ZD30 engine already inside.
the 3TD second hand, same mileage may be a little more expensive given the current fuel prices, but otherwise, this difference in price cannot be as much as the cost you are about to undergo.

If the TB45 is dead, even then you may want to consider selling it off to someone who can do a cheaper conversion to an alternative petrol variety, or to someone like Dawid Volschenk who makes it his business to take Patrols apart and re-use it in other Patrols.

If you however are set on the conversion course, then I can answer one question:
Yes you can use the same tanks. For the past 2 1/2 years I have been using my old diesel tanks for the converted Petrol engine.
It has to be taken off and washed thoroughly.

But when converting, you do take risks, and you need to trust the people who work on your car to do a thorough job.
If you do not do this sort of thing professionally, then it is not for the fainthearted either.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I agree with Alex, swop the car for a 3l...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Dawid voskenk had a 4.5 that rolled over someone in pietersburg took it removed the 3.ol out of his car and installed the 4.5 it will be the only way....Imho
Or just buy the 30l and sell 4.5
Need to do plenty km to pay for that mod if you dont have a donar car :mytwocents:
gupster
Full Name: Barry Guppy
Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR
Home Language: English

Post by gupster »

Many thanks for all the replies and the advice given. However, I have the 3.0 litre but its disappearing fast with rust. I have welded it so much that now I fear a chassis break soon. I have seen quite a lot of Trolls going fairly cheap but they all seem to have petrol engines. I was thinking of buying one and selling the engine off and replace it with my good engine and box. I know its going to be an expensive project, but if my engine and box just bolts in, I will do it myself using the parts of my wiring harness to facilitate the 3.0 litres ECU. I have always been satisfied with the performance and economy of my Troll and so have wanted to keep it. The only other option is to buy a 4.2T diesel but they seem to be a lot more expensive. There is a Botswana troll on Gumtree for R36500 but its a petrol one. The guy assures me it has no rust.

I would also like to know where the VIN number is stamped on the chassis as I cannot seem to find mine in the place the manual says it is. It might even have rusted away.

Thanks once again.
Have Troll, will travel.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

If you have a working patrol it should be easy to do
Dawid volskenk has a complete chassis for about 10k that will work on your car. As far as I know you can losen the body mounts and just lift it over? Also he can give you the number of the guy that changed the 30l to 4.5 he will be able to give you all the info you need send me your no via pm if you want more info
Regards
Tinus

Return to “09. Engines”