GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: GRX Second Spare Wheel & Increasing Fuel Capacity

Post by Tinus lotz »

Clem
give g man a call he might have a spare 17 inch mag he is sending a batch of bumpers and a set of patrol 16 inch rims up for me from slaap stad next week if he has one it can come up with them ??
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Post by IanT »

Hi Tinus, have you forgot about me already? did you ask G man if he had a spare 16 inch mag for me? Cheers Ian
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Ian,

I think Tinus is in the Kalahari at the moment. Why don't you give G-Man a call and ask him?
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Tinus lotz wrote:Clem
give g man a call he might have a spare 17 inch mag he is sending a batch of bumpers and a set of patrol 16 inch rims up for me from slaap stad next week if he has one it can come up with them ??
Thank you Tinus. I was looking for wheels for my Metalian trailer but have for the time being decided to live with the standard setup. I may change it later if I can find a set of 17 inch wheels at a reasonable price. I would prefer to match the towing vehicle's wheels but if I cannot, then I cannot.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Hi Clem, I have a set of 17 inch rims I took off to fit 16's if you are interested
gupster
Full Name: Barry Guppy
Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR

Post by gupster »

Hi all. I know that this is a late reply but I am still new to the site and have a lot of catching up to do. I just wanted to share my experiences with that 140 liter stainless steel diesel tank mentioned earlier. I had my first one put in almost 3 years ago so have had a lot of time to evaluate it. My first one cracked and was replaced, however the second one cracked too. The tank looks like it is made bigger at the expense of ground clearance. You cannot refit the old tanks guard plate after fitting the larger tank. In order to get extra ground clearance I had to fit the strongest OME rear coils, 400KG. I also noticed that in sharp right hand corners the engine cuts out after using only approximately 107 L of the 140. I know this as I have had to refuel many times after this has happened and now I dont let it drop that low. I think this might be due to a poorly designed baffle in the tank. Its looks much larger than the original tanks baffle and the gaps look bigger too. The second tank though, after its repair and the fitting of the stronger coils, did take me all the way to Senegal and back here to Durban without any cracks and some of those roads getting there were really tough. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would keep the original tank and try fitting 40 or 50 liter tank elsewhere or just carry a 60 L plastic tank on the roofrack. I will try add some pics of mine. At R3 a liter of diesel in Angola, I filled my tank on the roof up, but as fuel was quite easy to get, I never had to use it until Guinea where I picked up some very dodgy diesel and put in the fuel from Angola. These are just my experiences with the tank and perhaps somebody can tell me I am doing something wrong. A lot of Australian Trolls have an auxiliary tank and I wonder if anybody has any info on them.
Regards Barry
Attachments
SS851389.JPG
SS851389.JPG (422.58 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Have Troll, will travel.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Barry

I have been wanting to increase my fuel capacity, but have heard too many stories similar to yours.
Not just the cracking of the tank, but I have also heard various accounts of the mountings of the tank that fatigue.

With regard to the 60 L plastic tank on the roof, how do you transfer the fuel?
Personally I do not like the idea of sucking and spitting from a hose?
E.g. outboard motor tanks, come with a pipe that has a little pump in the pipe that works mannually by hand (at least until the gravity flow has been established).
Is this a workable solution for overlanding? Has anyone done this?
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Alex Roux wrote:Hi Barry

I have been wanting to increase my fuel capacity, but have heard too many stories similar to yours.
Not just the cracking of the tank, but I have also heard various accounts of the mountings of the tank that fatigue.

With regard to the 60 L plastic tank on the roof, how do you transfer the fuel? 'Lexi -- Die 60 litr tenk het n "outlet / eps wag laat iok in Ingils oorgoi: The 60 litre tank has an outlet. I fitted a normal GAS hos [gaspyp van Cadac] there, and on its end i fitted an inline fuel filter. This end I then cable tie at least 8 inces highr than the tank [else the expansion of the fuel pushes out there and spills all over yer karrikji. Then, as soon as there is 20 liter out of the car's tank, I just lower the gas hose into the fuel tank, and voil .. hy loop sommer self vol ..]

Personally I do not like the idea of sucking and spitting from a hose? see my solution above
E.g. outboard motor tanks, come with a pipe that has a little pump in the pipe that works mannually by hand (at least until the gravity flow has been established).
Is this a workable solution for overlanding? Has anyone done this?
:blonde: :blonde: :blonde: :woo: :woo: :woo: Done it several times .. IT WORKS 100% for me .
DSCN1523.JPG
DSCN1523.JPG (3.28 MiB) Viewed 4871 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
gupster
Full Name: Barry Guppy
Nickname: Baz
Home Town: Hibberdene
Current 4x4: 2001 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GRX
2005 Nissan Patrol 3.0 GR

Post by gupster »

Hi Alex. Its just as Kagiso 11 says the diesel flows by itself, however dont forget to loosen the cap to allow displacement air in. I did not put a filter in line but I think thats an excellent Idea. Thanks for that Kagiso. I just used clear plastic hose, to see the flow and long enough to reach the filler cap, with a tap on the end and also cable tie it above the auxiliary tank when finished. The breather valve on top also must have an extension pipe fitted and that too must be cable tied to stop it messing. I eventually made a whole lot of vertical loops in this pipe to allow for expansion. I try and park the truck in a fashion that any water and crud, if there, will fall to the aux tank outlet and then waste the first liter or so either into a plastic container to check, or straight onto the ground. Of course it does take a while after all the shaking around for this to happen so I usually do it before leaving in the morning. The aux tank can be found in Makro.
Have Troll, will travel.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Thanks

So the diesel is dirt cheap in Angola, and dodgy in Guinea.
Did you perhaps bother to check what Petrol availability is like on your way up?
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”