Mark B
Full Name: Mark S Bennett
Nickname: Mark B
Home Town: Windhoek
Current 4x4: Toyota Prado
Home Language: english

Sub-Fuel Tank - Do I have an Issue?

Post by Mark B »

Hi Can anyone help? I have bought a Patrol directly from the the factory in Japan. In the order I also purchased, and got installed (in Japan) a 40 litre sub-fuel tank. Its now the December and I am planning a long trip to Kaokaland. On some parts of the trip I will need diesel - lots of diesel! I have now filled the sub-fuel tank for the first time - the tank level indicator gauge in the dash now shows that it is full. Nissan have also installed in the dash a sub-tank switch which has in in-built indicator light. However when I press the switch I here no "click" nor is there any other sign of engagement; the in-built switch indicator light does not come on. I check the fuse for the sub-fuel tank and it is intact. How worried should I be?
Mark B
Windhoek
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Sub-Fuel Tank - Do I have an Issue?

Post by Herrie »

You can only empty the sub-tank when the main tank is half empty because the sub-tank move the fuel to the main tank.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Sub-Fuel Tank - Do I have an Issue?

Post by JoshJ »

Hi,

Yes, there are a few conditions that needs to be met before the valve to the main tank will open. It must have enough space in main tank. If the car is at to much of an angle the valve won't open. You can find this info in your manual.

You don't hear any defenit noise to indicate transfer. Al that indicates is the light on the switch. And the transfer is sloww. The first time I used mine I thought it was broken. Then after about 10min. I saw the main tank level responding. It takes a good 30k's driviving to allow enough time for the the sub tank to empty itself.

I got my Patrol this year through NissanSA and it has a sub tank (35liter) main tank (90liter) it has 2 seperate filling places. 2 gauges in the instrument cluster. This is standard on patrol as far as I know.
Problem I'm having is that the car run out of diesel on a qauter tank. At just above qauter she dies. Ad feul and of you go. This wil hopefully be sorted via nissan early in the new year.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”