Safety and high milage

bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Safety and high milage

Post by bogeyman »

After one of my old Safari pickups destroyed a Toyota bakkie last week ( it was the other guys fault) , I was prompted to relate some safety related incidents.

I was the first to fit 33" muds to one of my Safarie"s way back in the early eighties. Bigger wheels equals larger inertia and steering loads on the whole steering system. At about 500k km of mostly off road workhorse duty and high speed trips home for weekends , one of the tie rod ends ( the main one between the idler arm and two wheels) dislocated on a recce trip up a dry river bed in the blouberge near Alldays. No steering in a remote area.
The wear on that joint was enough to let the ball fall out of the housing! I pushed the joint back together and put a tie wrap around it and had to drive back to Pretoria like that because no replacement parts could be found. That truck is now on 680k km and going strong. (new tie rod though)
I check my vehicles regularly and there was no obvious play on that joint prior to the incident.

On a few occasions I have lost back wheels at speed due to the floating type wheel bearing failing and melting off the sideshaft ! These vehicles have permanent loads bolted on and work very hard. I regularly check and or replace these bearings and these failures occurred without warning.

Bottom line: Our trucks are well designed , but we sometimes modify and overstress them. They will last a long time , but old high mileage cars will need more than routine maintenance to keep them safe. Especially steering and brakes.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Re: Safety and high milage

Post by Jules »

Yip Christo ek stem saam, my lorrie moet sy agter brake calipher seels vervang en ek het deesdae so bietjie van n knocking noise op my lorrie se stuur meganisme as ek draai ( dit kom en gaan egter nie permanent nie )

Hoe sal mens sien of jou agterste caliphers enkel of dubbel seels moet vat, toe ek op n stadium navraag gedoen het het die ou in Alberton waar mens die seels teen goeie prys kry gevra of my lorrie enkel of dubbel seels gebruik :think: ?

Die ander ding wat ek moet vervang is my radiator pype hul voel nie meer lekka soepel nie asof daar aan die binnekant goed is wat meegee as mens daaraan druk amper die gevoel van ogiesdraad?

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

ek dink sodra LOBO loop [next week] moet mnr boegman hom bekyk ..
Jy behoort te weet hoe lyk n "gaar" ding wat 1,300,000 op het ?
:confused:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Die patrols by ysters ons moet maar net meer maint. Doen ek dink jy weet meer as ander wat breek en wat nie .....
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Post by bogeyman »

Jules,
Daar is n parte man by Global Nissan in Silverton Pretoria (Enzo) wat ou parte lyste aanhou en nogal heelwat oplossings vir my gegee het.
Hy kort net die vin nommer en n bietjie tyd. Dis nie goedkoop nie , maar partykeer is die duur opregte part die beter opsie.
Ek dink ek het al aandele daar !

Oom Mac,
Jy sal my maar moet nooi vir koffie as Lobo reg is , dan sal ek probeer lyk of ek slim is.

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”