Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Mutter, mutter...dummy tail lights

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Chris

I got them from Builder Warehouse. All you need to do is push the wire that you cleaned the tip of into the hole. It lock in there with a wedging effect. If you want to connect 2 wires, you will need the block with 2 holes, 3 wires-3hole and so on ... I then took a silicone gun and plugged the holes to make sure I do not get any trouble when going through deep water.

A Youtube video about the connectors:

Cheers
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Tony
Full Name: Antonio Barone
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Greyton - W/Cape
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Tony »

Hi Clem, give Graham Cummings a call, when he did my 185 000 service a couple of weeks ago he asked me if I wanted a proper set of rear lights. He popped them in, only thing is, the bottom lights have to be disconnected, and the connectors moved up to the new lights. He has lights in stock.
Cheers.
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

On my vehicle I still have the bottom lights working, as well as the moddified top ones. There is a separate wiring harness at the top light fitting all ready for connecting...
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Be careful not to break those uppuer tail light when taking them out.
On older cars their lugs might be brittle.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
Daniel
Full Name: Daniel Nelson
Nickname: Dan
Home Town: Cape st Francis
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 3.0 GL
Home Language: ENGLISH

Post by Daniel »

I used second hand Subara tail light harnesses, filed slots in the holes I drilled in the back of the light cluster which enables the globe fittings to latch tightly and the rubber seals against water ingress. I also fitted 4 pin male/ female push on connectors enabling easy removal of the light cluster and globe removal as well. My choice was tail light top, middle reverse light and stop light/ tail light combination for bottom fitting. I will try and attach pics!! Ps.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (412.99 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (422.39 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Mine work on both bottom and on top. There is a plug lying loose on both sides, just waiting to be plugged in..... but... you may want to check the wiring. My new lights ( from UAE ) has indicator ( orange lenses ) on top, clear reverse on BOTH sides, and red on the bottom. The harness, if I recall is a plug and play and works the correct globes for the colour lens ( basically for the light cluster I now have fitted, not the std SA light cluster). If you keep your original light cluster, you can't have the indicators working, as there are no orange lenses, so a different wiring setup is needed.

That said, when I added globes to my original light cluster, I made the top brake and tail light, the bottom only brake, and then the middle clear lense was reverse, and the middle red one on the other side, I ran new wiring through a switch and relay to serve as a fog light. This was fantastic when traveling to Moz through Ermelo and similar areas when the fog was thick.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by dieselfan »

Chris Skinner wrote:On my vehicle I still have the bottom lights working, as well as the moddified top ones. There is a separate wiring harness at the top light fitting all ready for connecting...
Do you have a "how to" Chris? I laughed when reading Clem's post cause when I picked up my Patrol I kakked out the owner for these not working :think: only to be told it's dummies. I've also got an 05 like you and don't fancy drilling anything if them wires aren't there :redface:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

The wiring harness even on a '05, I'm 99.9% sure is there. You can have a fiddle around by the jack "store" compartment and with delicate handwork you can get your hand in the little opening to feel around for the harness plug, which again if I recall is lying loose.

I'm just trying to think back, so I may be wrong on a few things here regarding removing the light cluster. There are 2x 10mm nuts that you have to loosen from the inside and the cluster is held in place with 2, what looks like small bleed nipples that click into a small plastic cup. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the cluster, as these can break. The cluster on the '05 is different to my "99 model cluster, but I think they used the same principle. You have to GENTLY pry it apart. By removing the cluster you will easily see the harness and plug. Then you can make the decision as to cut or not. Putting everything back is just in reverse.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by AndriesS »

Yip 05+ models lights are the same, in the pic you can see the white clips and there position, as well as the metal bracket where the nuts fasten to.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Tony wrote:Hi Clem, give Graham Cummings a call, when he did my 185 000 service a couple of weeks ago he asked me if I wanted a proper set of rear lights. He popped them in, only thing is, the bottom lights have to be disconnected, and the connectors moved up to the new lights. He has lights in stock.
Cheers.
Anyone got contact details for Graham for me? E-mail address and phone number would be useful?

Best,
Clem

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”