dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Diff locks

Post by dieselfan »

Iv test driven so many patrols over the last few months and out of them all only one engaged instantly. the others just sit and flash. Is it a major issue? If all goes well I should have my patrol by next weekend. Its in excellent condition but the rdl just flashes.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Diff locks

Post by Tinus lotz »

Roy normally a vac problem but it is the only soft thing on a patrollie
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Roy -- veels geluk met die voorneme - O K .. diff lock: it must the opening in the gears in order to engage . - you have a 50/50 chance of stopping so that the gears are perfectly aligned. -- when that light is just flashing means the locker can't engage cozz the geras are not aligned.
Turn the steering hard right, let the Trol move forward a meter or so en VOILA !!! the locker engages en the light5 stays on --
to disengage, switch off the locker, if it stays on it means it has wound up a bit -- reverse in a straight line couple of meters, it should disengage - or drive forard in 3rd for 'entjie'

Go enjoy your Trol !!

Buy the SWAMBO a Subaru Forester .. Volvo's breakdown too much to be safe for and kids .. Subie?? they go forever.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Roy, as said above:
The teeth on the dog engagement are quite large. It probably has about 8 teeth, thus engagement could take a significant amount of differential movement between the rear wheels.

If there is a problem, the chances are 85% that it is a vacuum problem. This is relatively easy to sort out. Some guys strip and overhaul the solenoid, some replace them with far more robust industrial solenoids. Just don't ask Nissan to fix it for you.

Most of the last 15% is that the electrical switch on the rear diff that tells the system when engagement has occurred is faulty. I have heard that this is the same switch as is used to activate the reverse light in a 1400 bakkie, but can't confirm this.

Bring it round for a look-see?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

I agree with the statements above. In my experience, the chances of engagement from a still standing position, or while a lot of power is being applied to the rear wheels are a lot less than 50%,. This means that once you are already in a difficult position where difflock is required to move forward or back, you are too late - you must be pro-active and make sure its engaged before tackling, for example, a steep dune. When not concentrating, I have tried many times to engage diff-lock while struggling up a sloping dune while towing boat in Moz, to realize that as I crest the dune the light is still flashing. The only way to get it to engage then, is to slack off the throttle completely for a second or two - but in sand this is often not possible.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg

Post by Clem »

To assist a differential lock to engage, drive forward following an S shaped path. To assist it to disengage, do the same, but in reverse.

As Chris has noted, you need to be proactive with the use of a differential lock.

In passing, I will say that that is the beauty of a gear driven torque biasing differential: it requires no driver intervention and it is always there, working when required and not working when not required. I believe that there is now a combination unit available – that is to say it operates as a normal torque biasing differential all the time but can also be manually engaged to act as a full differential lock. The other thing about gear driven torque biasing differential is that there are no clutch packs and so it cannot wear out and there is no maintenance required.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Peter Connan wrote:If there is a problem, the chances are 85% that it is a vacuum problem. This is relatively easy to sort out. Some guys strip and overhaul the solenoid, some replace them with far more robust industrial solenoids. Just don't ask Nissan to fix it for you.

Most of the last 15% is that the electrical switch on the rear diff that tells the system when engagement has occurred is faulty.
And if you do not fix it quickly, you'll end up with worn bits & pieces resulting in a HUGE repair bill...
Broken bits.jpg
Broken bits.jpg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 8656 times
More sorrow.jpg
More sorrow.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 8656 times
Been there, ran away from that :rolleyes:
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Just check if the pipes is not blocked before you go the solenoid route. I reconed my solenoid just to see all I had to do is put some compressed air through the pipe.

The 1400 reverse switch is the same as the difflock switch, this I can confirm. You can unscrew it an Q20 it a bit. Sometimes the switch is dry and get stuck.

Good luck with the car and laat die wiele rol!!!! :blonde: :blonde: :blonde:
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg

Post by Clem »

ChristoSlang wrote:
Peter Connan wrote:If there is a problem, the chances are 85% that it is a vacuum problem. This is relatively easy to sort out. Some guys strip and overhaul the solenoid, some replace them with far more robust industrial solenoids. Just don't ask Nissan to fix it for you.

Most of the last 15% is that the electrical switch on the rear diff that tells the system when engagement has occurred is faulty.
And if you do not fix it quickly, you'll end up with worn bits & pieces resulting in a HUGE repair bill...
Broken bits.jpg
More sorrow.jpg
Been there, ran away from that :rolleyes:
Yoh! Maar dis lelik!
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy

Post by dieselfan »

Thanks, I get the patrol hopefully tomorrow or Thursday so will be keen to first check the pipes. From the looks of things this Patrol hasn't done many trails so things should be "sticky". The guy I buying from works for Nissan and is supplying all spares for a major service (plugs, filters etc). I intend to have the gearbox oil, diffs etc all flushed this week for the weekend. My wife knows I'm out. not sure where just I'm out.

Return to “10. Drivetrain”