Home Town: Swakopmund
Current 4x4: 97 Patrol TD 4.2 Manual TS
93 Patrol TBE 4.2 Manual Hi-Roof
08 Toyota Raider D/C 4.0 V6 4x4
11 BMW X5 Auto 8 speed -Swambo
Home Language: English

Rear diff lock

Post by Tunja »

Hmm trying to engage my diff lock.... is flashing on dash along with the ABS light.....before I go wading thru the forum and manuals is there any quick thing I can look at?
'97 GQ 60 TD4.2 ST Patrol : Roof rack, Winch, Dual battery system, Tow Bar, 2" suspension.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Rear diff lock

Post by Herrie »

Swap the pipes on the diff and then the difflock will lock when it is swiched off - when the engine is running - just lift both rear wheels and turn the wheel and check that both wheels turn in the same direction.

Make sure that both pipes suck air - one suck air when it is switched off and the other sucks air when it is switched on. If one does not sucked air, the pipe is either blocked or the solenoid does not work. With mine the one pipe was blocked!
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Tunja, when you engaged the difflock, on mine I sometimes have to move softly and gently forward or backwards for as few meters before it clicks in. I think it depends on where the gears are sitting. if it still doesn't engage then check them pipes. I'm not sure if lifting only the back wheels and engaging the difflock will work. I think the difflock only works in 4H or 4L.... but may be wrong on this.

I also believe the ABS light will flash when difflock is on. difflock light will flash until it locks in place then will be on permanently.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Hi Ernest

A couple of points:
- On the GU like yours (unlike GQ), the diff lock only engages when you are in either 4H or 4L, and not 2H.
- The indicator switch shows if diff lock is engaged and may malfunction even of the locker itself works. This is a very common case among Patrols. The indicator switch gets sticky. You can unscrew it and clean it. I do mine often, then it works for a while and gets stuck again. However my locker works perfectly irrespective.
An easy way to check, if the car is not lifted in the air, is to move onto a dirt road or grass (I use my back garden). Activate the locker, then turn sharply to you right, you will find the inside rear wheel bites into the grass. This will irk swambo if you use the back garden like me.

It is a good idea to activate the 4x4 *H & L) and lockers every month or so, to make sure everything remains lubricated and in good using order.

Note also that if the difflock indicator switch does not work, the light tends to flash rather than burn constantly. However the ABS light shoudl alsoways flash when the locker is engaged since it warns you that the ABS is not working while locked.

Having said all that, in my view the factory spec diff lock activation system on the Patrol, working with vacuum pipes, is not the most robust system out there and a real mean combination is instead the Patrol drivetrain combined with ARB air lockers.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
caz
Full Name: charles adkins
Nickname: caz
Home Town: gordons bay
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol gsx 1998
Home Language: english

Post by caz »

I also have a 98 4.5 and mine is also sluggish to engage. I found by weaving side to side while moving forward very slowly gets it to engage, with the window down you can hear the click as she goes in. I have an air locker on the front and am tempted to pay the 14K to do the back as well. Aparantly they should be used often. There is a speed sensor that prevents the lock engaging if the speed is over 10 kph . Also try reving the motor to increase the vacume as the engine spools down. Rgds
NISMOnator
Full Name: Jacques Strauss
Nickname: NISMOnator
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by NISMOnator »

Hi Almal,

Vinnige vraag. Kan a mens jou diff lock engage in 4x4 HR of moet dit in LR gebeur? Kan a mens dit gebruik in HR? :helpsign:

Kan a mens dit in 2X4 HR ook lock vir a vinnige gebruik?

Dankie
God follows me where I tread.....

2007 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX = GRIZZLY!!!
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi

Kan net in 4x4 HR en LR gebruik word. Glad nie in 2x4 nie. Jy kan dit in 2x4 probeer aansit, maar dit sal nie switch en inskop nie. Net die ou GQ/Y60 Patrols kan dit in 2x4 aansit.

Groete
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts

Return to “08a. Your Patrol”