Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Idle Air Control Valve

Post by jonathan »

Hi guys I need some electrical advice.

I took a trip to Port Elizabeth last weekend and returned on Monday with no hassles whatsoever.This morning the battery was flat however. Managed to start it with the dual battery luckily. When I left work this afternoon same story. So when investigating I discovered that when the ignition is switched on there is humming and vibration coming from the Idle Air Control Valve-Auxiliary Air Intake Valve. Does anyone know if this is normal? I don't remember hearing this noise before.

What I also noticed is that where the battery monitor usually showed charging at one level below full charge it was now showing full charge on both batteries. Could these issues possibly be related?

Cheers
Jonathan
jonathan

Re: Idle Air Control Valve - Favour Please!

Post by jonathan »

Guys I need a favour from the fellow 4.5 owners please! :helpsign:

If you guys get a chance could you please check next time just before you start the motor (with the ignition turned as far as possible before starting) is there a humming noise and vibration coming from the valve/solenoid in the picture? Mine is making a noise similar to the fuel pump, so it's easier to hear when the bonnet is open.
Attachments
DSC_0601.jpg
DSC_0601.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 6237 times
DSC_0599.jpg
DSC_0599.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 6237 times
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: Idle Air Control Valve

Post by Tinus lotz »

I have a 4.8 when i turn my key the pump gets the feul line up to pressure and then stops. With flat batteries funny things can happen so mabe you need to first charge your one fully load test it and see if problem is still there?
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Thanks Tinus. I had the same thought but I've since put in a new battery but the noise and vibration is still there. And it's definitely coming from this solenoid. I only noticed the noise when trying to sort out the battery issue, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to hum and vibrate! Maybe it's supposed to do that, but just need confirmation from someone with a similar motor. Not sure how different the 4.8 and 4.5 are in this specific area?
duvj
Full Name: Johann Duvenage
Nickname: Johann
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4500i

Post by duvj »

Jonathan

I got a 1999 4.5 Patrol. I switched it on tonight, the idle control valve is quit, there is no vibration on mine. The whole engine is quit, only noise in the antenna motor , mine is broken, the antenna motor runs for about 15 seconds seconds upon switch on when the radio is on.

Please let me know if I can do some other test for you as reference to solve your problem

Thanks
Johann Duvenage
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by tour de frans »

Hello Jonathan
Dis normaal.
Die idle valve hang oop omdat hy probeer die rpm op kry. Hy kan nie sien die engine staan nie. Vir hom is die "revs te laag".
Van die idle valves raas net harder as ander.
Groete
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

duvj wrote:Jonathan

I got a 1999 4.5 Patrol. I switched it on tonight, the idle control valve is quit, there is no vibration on mine. The whole engine is quit, only noise in the antenna motor , mine is broken, the antenna motor runs for about 15 seconds seconds upon switch on when the radio is on.

Please let me know if I can do some other test for you as reference to solve your problem

Thanks
Johann Duvenage
Dankie Johann. Ek het maar aanvaar dit moet so wees, aangesien als nog normaal gewerk het. Gelukkig het Frans ook beaam dat ek nie hoef te worry nie. Dankie Frans :thumbup:

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”