4x4 Regulation

Have you spotted one of our Forum members in the Press or on TV?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4x4 Regulation

Post by Peter Connan »

XenoBlitz wrote:I both hate and like the regulations...

The part I like is that we "might" be able to get rid of some very senseless (and scary) drivers. I have seen once too many how lack of knowledge/skill and abundance of liquor caused some real hairy situations.

The part I do not like is that the article reads :

Dit vereis dat ’n persoon wat in hierdie gebiede wil ry, ’n basiese kennis van die omgewing en die meganika van sy voertuig moet hê.
Die kwalifikasie vereis opleiding waarop ’n eksamen volg en sal periodiek hernu moet word.

This implies that every time someone goes to a new area (even if they've been there before) they have to do another course and exam. If it is implemented as a quick questionnaire before entering the area, then I'm happy. But if this is going to be one of those: make an appointment two weeks in advance, spend three days doing a course and then a written exam, then not cool. I have no interest in driving down to an area two weeks prior to my trip to sort out licensing, then have to struggle with bad service, all just so I can spend one long weekend camping for instance....

How are they planning to implement this? Anyone have more information?
I sincerely hope you have understood this incorrectly Wilhelm, and it certainly doesn't tie up with what I have so far been lead to believe.

From what I understand, the qualification will allow you to drive in any of these areas.
Personally, from my experience with other similar laws, I very much doubt that it will actually solve any problems, because it is unenforcable. But I am a known sceptic.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

XenoBlitz wrote:This implies that every time someone goes to a new area (even if they've been there before) they have to do another course and exam. If it is implemented as a quick questionnaire before entering the area, then I'm happy. But if this is going to be one of those: make an appointment two weeks in advance, spend three days doing a course and then a written exam, then not cool. I have no interest in driving down to an area two weeks prior to my trip to sort out licensing, then have to struggle with bad service, all just so I can spend one long weekend camping for instance....
Wilhelm, I also think you're worrying unnecessarily. Here's what I know at present...
  • There are two unit standards that are applicable to off-road driving - Unit Standard 254135 ("Apply the techniques for operating four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles, in on-road and off-road conditions") and Unit Standard 254154 ("Apply advanced techniques for operating four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles in off-road conditions").
  • The unit standards have been ratified by the South African Qualifications Agency (SAQA) and can be downloaded from their web site.
  • You'll only require the former for your driver's competency certificate (the so-called "DCC"). The latter may be done for your own pleasure, or if you are pursuing a professional driving qualification that requires you to gain additional credits. The latter does not require a practical exam.
  • Both of these unit standards state that the last date for their achievement is 2015-11-26. This may be extended, or the unit standard may be replaced with a new one. Nobody knows yet - we've never been down this road before.
  • If the unit standard changes, they may require you to renew your DCC. Yet again we do not know, because we've not lived through a change of the standard yet.
  • There will only be one DCC, and it will be valid for each & every trail that is ear-marked as "sensitive". If the trail is not marked as "sensitive", you will not need a DCC to drive it.
  • We should not be upset with "them" or "they". These unit standards were developed by off-roaders for off-roaders as a means of self-regulating before government deemed it necessary to step in & do their own brand of regulation of a fraternity that was often criticised by outsiders. The guys are looking for assistance to take the process forward - a golden opportunity for anybody to get involved and help the process along from the inside.
The above is what I can recall after attending the training last year. Some of this may have changed since then, but that's the gist of it...
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Christo, thanks for the information. :thumbup:
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Thank you guys. If what you are saying is correct, then I find the article misleading :P

So.. now the question is thus: when is the soonest we can organize a big event and get everyone certified? QQQ
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

We are working on it, but you won't believe the amount of paperwork... :surprised: . Unfortunately it wont be a big one day event, as there is a fair bit of work involved, but its not a difficult test, just time consuming.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
ama-glug-glug
Full Name: Deon Wilmans
Nickname: Deon
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 1996 (1st 4x4) SOLD
Nissan Navara D23 - SOLD
Patrol GRX Auto
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by ama-glug-glug »

:thumbup: Thanks Christo for the info above.

Cedric, as soon as everything is in place for the certification you can count me in as well. This is a very neccesary process as there are still people driving 4x4's who should rather be walking and giving all of us a bad name.(fortunately not in our club that I am aware of)

Return to “32. In the Press”