Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Semonkong

Post by Marino4x4 »

This is a short trip report of our trip the weekend to Semonkong and the Maletsunyane falls.

We left on Saturday at 06:00 from Bloemfontein and crossed the border at Maseru Bridge at about 08:30. There was a bit of a problem with an official having trouble with us bringing alcohol into the country. Apparently citizens of Namibia, Botswana, Swaziland and South Africa are not allowed to bring this into Lesotho. It was the first time I had trouble like this. Make sure you pack your beer were it cannot be seen from the outside of the car. Luckily the official let us go with us needing to cover the beer with a jacket. One plus also was that a friend of my sister from Italy was with us. Italians may bring alcohol into Lesotho.

From Roma they are working on the road to Semonkong. Real cowboys!! There is now traffic control through the road works. You have to sneak through the tipper trucks and digging machines. The contractors also drive rally in these sections. The road is very good tough and when the road is finished will be very nice to drive. They were also busy blasting rocks when we past the works. Luckily we past there while they were busy preparing. This might delay you when driving to Semonkong.

We stayed at Semonkong lodge. The rooms are very nice and clean. The staff is very friendly. It was really a nice stay. The falls is also something to see. One cannot capture the bigness of the falls in a photo. The sound of the water falling is also amazing. We had a nice braai the evening and enjoyed some of the beers that gave us trouble in Maseru.

The trip back took about 6h to Bloemfontein. It is really a nice trip and easy to do. :thumbup:
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 3437 times
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 3437 times
IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0243.JPG (3.06 MiB) Viewed 3437 times
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 3437 times
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Re: Semonkong

Post by Jules »

Very nice, yip the alcohol is starting to become a problem into Mozambique as well. Lesotho is n great destination for me , I JUST LOVE THOSE HUGE MOUNTAINS.

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
dieselfan
Full Name: Roy Markham
Nickname: Roy
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by dieselfan »

Nice pics, years ago I wanted to propose there...did you do the horse rides or abseiling?
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Dieselfan

We did not do the horse riding or the abseiling. 240m is a bit high to my liking. Bit of a :yipes: when it combs to heights.
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts

Return to “24. Trip Reports”