Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Warning - Older Vehicles - Check Your Water Pipes

Post by Peter Connan »

While this obviously is a problem, it can't have contributed to the hose failures.

A leak in the system cannot result in a higher operating pressure, only a lower pressure. And a lower pressure will not cause hose failures.

However, it could be an indication that your car operated without anti-freeze for a long time, or that your current anti-freeze mixture is incorrect...

Wrong anti-freeze mixtures can possibly contribute to hose failures because some of the metal liberated from the engine creates a hard layer on the inside, and deforming the hose then causes cracking.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
DerickRoux
Full Name: Derick Roux
Nickname: Derick
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2001 Patrol 4.5 GRX A/t

Post by DerickRoux »

Ian, can't agree more with pipe replacements. Going through the exercise on mine now after I lost my holiday and got the car back home. It is all related to poor maintenance and incorrent coolant mixture. Must say it is a lot easier with inlet manifold off and head out the way.

At this stage the bill as follows:
Rollback from Morgan Bay to EL - R 1600
Truck from EL to Menlyn - R 4200
Head overhaul and skim - R 2100 (Fernando's)
Rebuild bottom radiator tank and new pressure cap - R 2600 ( Silverton Pta West)
Gasket set - R 2250 ( Alert ) - Nissan quoted R 7800
Full set of hoses - R 4100 ( Marinus ) - Nissan quoted R 1900 just for top and bottom radiator hoses
Waterpump, head bolts (26 of them) and exhaust gasket - R 4200 ( Marinus )
Thermostat - R 390 ( Nissan Menlyn )
Odds and sodds - R 1000 - They like to call it "consumables"
Labour my own, but I have put about 20 hours odd into it already, the devil is in the detail they say.....
At this stage, need the steel junction pipe inside the manifold curve with the small connector pipe to the throttle body and just before the oil cooler, was brazed previously. I think I now know why the motor was opened before.
The inlet to the oil cooler was completely blocked, best way I can decribe it, is the look of rusted sand/mud, managed to get it cleared out and cleaned.
Block cleaned out as best I could and water passages cleared, head and head gasket on, just waiting for bolts, water pump and manifold gasket.
Must commend Marinus for his prompt and courteous service, Dankie Marinus !!
Update to follow.......
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Now just a waterlevel check device and you are sorted :salute:
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by iandvl »

Peter Connan wrote: 04 Feb 2019 14:10 While this obviously is a problem, it can't have contributed to the hose failures.

A leak in the system cannot result in a higher operating pressure, only a lower pressure. And a lower pressure will not cause hose failures.

However, it could be an indication that your car operated without anti-freeze for a long time, or that your current anti-freeze mixture is incorrect...

Wrong anti-freeze mixtures can possibly contribute to hose failures because some of the metal liberated from the engine creates a hard layer on the inside, and deforming the hose then causes cracking.
Peter, I have no idea how things work. Could perhaps be age of the pipes, or could be anything. I do not know.

Graham seems to exclude corrosion after examining the bits. I sort of agree with that as there was virtually no corrosion on the few bits of metal pipes I worked with whilst replacing the rubber pipes recently. I am just happy it is sorted.

Service history for my vehicle indicates a standard maintenance schedule (which is not my service history and I was not there, and I cannot vouch for). However, for the past 4 or 5 years, my truck has been meticulously maintained. Maarnouwat. Kom ons hoop dit is die einde van die waterpyp gremlins.... :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Ok sorry, I assumed corrosion.

So this was effectively a structural failure? In that case, I think your problems should be at an end now.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Hi Ian,

The 90 degree steel pipe on your picture at the bottom of page 1 refers:

I had a similar issue but with a 90 degree rubber pipe on my Terrano. Nissan could not supply and had to order it from Japan with something like a 6 week lead time. I would have not had the use of the vehicle in that 6 week period.

It was about a 20mm pipe. I went to the local MICA and bought a 20mm plastic irrigation elbow as an interim solution. (in fact, I bought two, the second one for when the first one would pop). I joined it into the pipe where the pipe needed the 90 degree bend and kept an eye on it for about the first 3 months. After that I kind of like forgot about it. And boy, could that Terrano get hot while towing up hills. That plastic elbow took to its new roll, like it was designed for it!!!

Well, I never went back to Nissan to order the pipe. I sold the vehicle about 10 years later, still with the original plastic irrigation elbow fitted and the spare one still in the cubbyhole!!!
DerickRoux
Full Name: Derick Roux
Nickname: Derick
Current 4x4: 2001 Patrol 4.5 GRX A/t

Post by DerickRoux »

Morning folks, well my car is finally together after this weekend past. Must say I was quite chaffed with myself, started up on the 3rd turn of the starter. Tappets just a slight bit noizy, but will re-adjust this coming weekend. Put the Patrol through its paces on sunday at Groenkloof and temperature constantly in the sweet spot just below normal. Will do new oil and filter as well and then pretty much sorted.Tinus, if you see a white 4.5 in our area, I am just down the road in Laddier street where the Jeep is parked, wave me down, would like to meet you some time. Also want to pop in at Michael's spot to make his acquaintance.

Return to “09. Engines”