The Future of Patrol4x4.co.za? Next 10 years.

Notices to members from the forum administration

Who should own and manage the Patrol forum in the future:

1. All the members.
16%
2. An individual member with enthusiasm.
16%
3. The members, but with a club fee included.
3%
4. The members, but with adverts to generate income to cover costs.
16%
5. Senior members of the forum.
47%
6. Nissan South Africa.
No votes
7. Nissan 4x4 club.
No votes
8. Other corporate Sponsor.
3%

Total votes: 32

ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: The Future of Patrol4x4.co.za? Next 10 years.

Post by ricster »

I like this offer. I for one, am happy to literally see a "no change" feel to how the forum continues forward.

I say this due the fact that Ian already is constantly busy in the background tweaking and ensuring that technically there are little to no issues with the running of the site. If we all feel happy with keeping everything exactly the same with just the running of the site shifting hands, and of course JohnBoys approval and blessing, then this may just be the way to go. We may have to buy him a few beers on when there is an outing... ( not sure how much he can drink.....hahahaha)

I believe Ian is a very Patrol passionate person.... ok a little petrol biased, but we are working on that..... we have already converted Tinus.... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Keep the thoughts and Ideas coming in .... this is all of our forum anyways, as like Peter said...... its all of us that make it what it is!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Rodney
Full Name: Rodney Smith
Nickname: Rodney
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: 2013 3.0D GL

Post by Rodney »

As a relatively new "newbie" I have personally gained a lot from the forum.

The offer of Ian (John's comments noted) seems to make absolute sense and my vote is that we go that route.

Lets avoid the commercial aspect other than maybe (suggestion?) to allow links to be loaded under Ian's control to commercial websites that contribute (say) R1,000 a year?.

Ian is also indicating that he would have no direct costs, but maybe we should consider:
1. A voluntary chip-in for John as a thank you and partial repayment for the cost that he has incurred over the years to date, and,
2. A voluntary annual contribution payable once annually towards a central fund that will be there for any costs related to the website and hosting.
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

It is a pitty Ian cant join us at the year end as quite a number of "senior" forum members will be there as well as some of the moderators.

Could have had a discussion and sorted this quick quick.

I dont like the comercial idea as then you get what is happening on Comunity where there is a "feeling/perception" that you are not allowed to say anything negative against a comercial member of the forum. - Brings in money and politics, 2 things wich we largely have been able to avoid on the forum.

If Ian's offer stands and there is no cost involved to him, this seems to be the best option - and if it means we sponcer him with a beer or 6 on outings still seems like a good deal to me.

This of cource speaks to the hosting side of the forum, where it comes to matters that directly impacts on the forum I would like a small group assigned to make these decisions, after properly discussing these at a pizza braai at "a" members house......

This will ensure that there is no one single person "running" the forum and we have a colective of like minded people taking the forum forward.
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I agree Dirk, however I'm going to throw a spanner in the works regarding the "small group" idea. All I'm trying to do by saying this to put out an opinion that may not have been thought of previously so please guys I am definitively not knocking anyones ideas or inputs ....

Generally speaking there is a HUGE Gauteng and nearby Provinces involvement with regards to outings planned and lately ( which makes me very happy ) there seems to be quite a surge in the Cape guys becoming more involved with trip plannings etc, which it growing the Patrol Forum immensely country wide, as can be seen by the number of articles written by Wegry etc and the increase in new members that join, almost on a daily basis. (said tongue in cheek)JohnBoy has his priorities all wrong because he unfortunately works far too hard and doesn't do enough Patrolling.... :lol: .... but that keeps him in a very neutral position when overseeing the running of the Forum and has always accommodated any new input and ideas that were brought forward. Where Am I going with this? Well sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth. All Johnboy does ( after years of hard work, with Gerrit in the beginning years, to get the camaraderie of this forum to where it is now) really is maintain a decorum that it acceptable to us all. I am concerned that too much change may cause a change that drifts this Forum into the realm of where many many other forums have landed up.

At a stage Johnboy asked Ian and I to assist in an admin role for the forum, as well as incorporate extra Moderators to ensure that the wheel keeps turning. There are 7 hugely important Moderators on the forum keeping an eye on things in the various posts and topics, where anyone can make contact at any stage if there is a problem with anyone being disrespectful (the last time that happened was about 3 or 4 years back if I can recall - he was permanently banned). Other than this the forum runs as smoothly as a baby Patrols bottom.

I have a suggestion that I would like to put forward....
1) Ian, takes ownership of the Patrol forum as he has the infrastructure to accommodate the patrol Forum. If this position opens up to many there are too many issues that can creep up with the mechanical side of the Forum. Currently, if there are any glitches either JohnBoy or myself discuss the issue with Ian who then does his voodoo and problem is solved as he has intimate knowledge of how this forum is set up, ( Ian basically rebuilt the current Patrol 4x4 website after the old one had a few gremlins ).There are still 2 other Admin guys namely Gerrit Loubser, and myself. I would like to suggest that JohnBoy remains as Admin even if it is from a "back seat" or Honourary position, making a total of 4 Administrators.
2) There are 7 Moderators namely Micheal, Dirk, Peter, Tinus, Stefan, Kobus and Saltman (who sadly hasn't been on the forum in a while - but this can be looked at in the future once this has been sorted out), who actually do a more active role than what the Admin guys do.
3) if there are changes or things added that one would like to see on the forum, then send a Pm to either the Mods or Admin. If it is possible generally it will get done. For example I question was raised the other day "is there a Y62 section yet?".... No not yet, but lets get this sorted quickly and then we can look into it.... even though there isn't a Y60 or a Y61 section ( cause we are all equal here....haha), but it is an idea that we can look into.

So in a nutshell, it currently isn't one person running the Patrol 4x4 forum, and suggest we let it run as it is currently running. If anyone feels, that a Moderator is making nonsense, PM the Admin guys. If anyone feels the Admin guys are making nonsense, Pm the Moderators.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Ian, that is a fantastic offer, thank you.

For the rest, I agree with Cedric. I firmly believe most great things are the vision of one man. I am not saying one man must do all the work, but I am saying that "design by committee" doesn't work. Therefore, I would be very happy if Ian wants to take ownership. Ian, please note that this is not an attempt to pressurize you into doing more than you are happy to.

I am happy to continue as a moderator, but don't have the skills to get more involved in the administration.

I am happy to pay a reasonable fee to be a "commercial member", as my Patrol-related products are basically sold exclusively through this forum. I would not expect any preferential treatment as a result. I am not sure how Michael, Anthony and Marinus would feel about a situation like that. The aforementioned R1000/year sounds pretty reasonable to me, but I have no idea how that compares to the cost of running the forum.

I would even be happy to pay a monthly contribution for the honor of being a member.

I would prefer if we could keep advertisements off, unless they are Patrol (or at least 4x4) related.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by iandvl »

My personal opinion is to keep it commercial membership free. I pay for hosting in any case.

John Boy has happily hosted the forum for the past ten years. I'm happy to return the favour for the next ten, after which we can run the same sort of poll.

I'd prefer keeping it "commercial member-free" type thing, else-wise it becomes difficult from tax perspectives. I might have time to admin a forum. I really do not want to break my back in additional paperwork.... :biggrin:

My intention is not to change anything. Merely to move the platform. Admins / moderators etc and the way everything operates will stay as is... It will only be a change of hosting and the domain.

The Forum works as it is, because we all share a common passion. I want to keep it that way.

Anyways, in the end it will be John's call. Maarnouwat.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Oetie
Full Name: Leon Fouche
Nickname: Oetie
Home Town: Rooihuiskraal, Centurion
Current 4x4: 2009 TD42T Patrol

Post by Oetie »

Thank you Ian :thumbup:

As a member I am willing to make a contribution to cover costs.
One life, live it to the fullest!!
ORRA - L65
HAM - ZS6LEF

Tlou - 2009 Patrol TD42T
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

Right guys,

thank you so much for all the responses and it has gone the way I hoped... With Ian's offer, it has taken the money issue (and IT effort) out of the equation :bravo:
With the rest of you as senior members, moderators and administrators guiding and monitoring I am more than happy to hand over the reigns and maybe play a background role. The only other recommendation I have is that between Cedric and Ian (Admin) that they continue with initiatives like the the printing of stickers for new members/vehicles etc. which were provided free of charge. They simply need to cover costs by simply charging a nominal fee. I'm sure there will be many more ideas to come.

Groete
John
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Wise words from Cedric, Peter and Ian

From my side I will be happy to pay a commercial fee, but in the same breath I think what makes this forum work is the fact that its not too formal and its a bunch of people together that makes it go forward.

I also think Ian is a great suggestion for Admin, he really does a great job and between him and Cedric the pot will keep cooking.

And off course, thanks John :thumbup:
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

my :mytwocents:
iam also happy to pay a fee as a user moderator ect.....
ian your plan is great, please let us know how we can help assist ect
thanks again for a great forum John ...jy is n yster
cedric for a man from down south you do think out some great ideas :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:
lets keep the best forum going :salute: :salute: :salute:

Return to “02. WWW Notice Board”