Driving - & Spotlights

Headlights and Other Lights
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Driving - & Spotlights

Post by bogeyman »

David,
I got the led replacement lights from a fleamarket type shop opposite Kollonade Centre in Montana.They fit perfectly into the reflector where the halogen globes fit and even has a compatible plug. The exact focus point and lens compatability might be an issue. The dodgy source is a concern and I doubt there will be any guarantee. Mine seem to last and has been in use for over a year now.

The Light Force spots are available at most offroad fitment shops and the range is big. The hid ones are very expensive. I paid under R6k for the halogens but the reflectors are very big and that makes a huge difference. They come from Australia and have interchangeable covers that come in different colours to tint the light for fog or dust ect. They also weigh next to nothing .
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Post by David M »

Thanks. I was looking at the Lightforce in a well known 4x4 shop today but did not see the focus function. If the salesman had told me I would have bought them on the spot. I was still asking why they did not supply them as a set of 1 spot and 1 driving.

I am a bit wary of the LED replacement stuff. Just watched a video on youtube and think I will stick to my current HID replacement. The HID is really bright but not far enough for my liking even when setting them really high.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

Guy's if you want LED replacement bulbs. try Extreme Lights. Order online at http://www.extremelights.co.za/ They are in Stellenbosch and I ill try and get to them to fit the replacement in my face lifted Y61 (2005 - on) as you need space behind the lens to fit the LED. I am playing with the idea of replacing my main bulbs with Extreme's LED's but the budgets just do not work out at this stage.

Just a note o LED's, if they run cool they are "crapp" if the generate heat they might be a quality product.... Rule of thumb if you buy "Chinese"..... I would opt for the more expensive options if you have proper back up.
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

Just to make my comment on the "switch" clear......

Once you turn your engine on you would like the daytime driving lights on and not your main head lights. (Safety feature in most new cars and as far as I know might be a requirement in Europe and USA) Now once you have switched of the engine and leave the car you do not want lights to be left on and in so drain your battery. Thus running the on/off trigger via the ignition key and not the Hi/Lo stick lever switch should solve this problem.

Another idea I'm playing with is to place motorcycle spotlights in the driving light position. On the ARB replacement bumper this is higher than other spot positions and should be fine of more lights. This then will prevent the spot from "stealing cooling air when placed on the normal "top of bulbar" position. I'm thinking of using ether the extreme lights Hi3 spot with the option to wire it for both hi and lo setting this is an extremely versatile spot. see the tech spec here: http://www.extremelights.co.za/wp-conte ... V1.0.3.pdf
or the 10W motorbike spot.

For daytime running lights the idea is to use the one of the DLR sets extreme lights supply. Comes with a wiring loom.

Only drawback at this stage is the budget!
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
Steve R
Full Name: Rogers
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Claremont, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2006 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Steve R »

For what is worth I have have been using Patrols for the fast 18 years and found my spots only lasted a couple of years as they used to snap off on the mount through metal fatigue. I used KC's , CIBIE's and one other make and they all snapped off going off road after awhile ....... I then was recommend Lightforce (from Australia) they are in a different league.
Made of Poly carb ..... super light and no fatigue and when I last looked a few years back on their website they shot the lights with a 12 guage shotgun from about 20 meters and they still worked!!
What is really nice about these lights is they come with a clear filter so you dont have to replace the light because of stone damage and you can fit fog light filters to the light and night game viewing lens

These have been on my second Patrol for the past 8 years and are still perfect condition :thumbup: :thumbup: ......... They have a seperate switch on/off but are connnected in parallel to my brights.
ChristoSlang
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Christo van Rensburg
Nickname: ChristoSlang
Home Town: Pretoria, ZA
Current 4x4: Nissan 4.2 GL Patrol

Post by ChristoSlang »

Cedric, go scrapyard hunting and find yourself some nice Nissan switches for your spots. Mine illuminate when I turn the headlights on at night (no more fumbling about), and they blend in ever so nicely with the look of the dashboard:
Nissan spotlight switches
Nissan spotlight switches
dsc01141.jpg (201.96 KiB) Viewed 9138 times
The top switch operates the LEDs on the roof rack (wired directly to the battery via a relay - daylight on demand!), the bottom switch operates the two round spotlights on the bull bar (wired through a relay that only works when the brights & ignition is on).
Christo (the snake man)
1998 4.2 GL Patrol (Chuck Norris)
2007 350Z twin-turbo coupe (Batmobile)

Return to “13c. Headlights and Replacement Lights”