Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Headlight Lens Replacement

Post by iandvl »

Thought I''d post this here - carrying on from this thread: http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6045

I got around to replacing my headlight lens today.

First, we strip off the corner light assembly, front grill and trim bit underneath the headlight to remove the headlight assembly with the broken lens.
01.jpg
01.jpg (357.17 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (275.76 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
Next step was to remove the six metal clips supporting the lens and then soak the headlight in very hot water (not boiling, but hot) for about 15 minutes. The broken lens came out with very little effort, although one had to sit and pick little bits of glass out of the glue with tweezers. The picture shows the headlight assembly and my "new" lens.
03.jpg
03.jpg (308.86 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
I then cleaned the lens reflector in the headlight assembly thoroughly as well as the inside of the new lens. Note: when drying / polishing the inside of the lens as well as the lens reflector, use paper (such as a paper kitchen towels) and not cloth. And then I let the light assembly dry out completely (there are "draining" holes in the headlight assembly, but I wanted it nice and dry). Thereafter, I used the wife's hair dryer (*never* *ever* *ever* mention this to her please) to re-heat the glue inside the headlight assembly until it was nice and tacky. I then pushed the lens back in, sealed the outside with a bit of silicon and reclipped the six retaining clips.
04.jpg
04.jpg (363.42 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
And finally, I put everything back together again.
05.jpg
05.jpg (308.97 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
It seems to work, but I've got no idea how well-stuck the new lens is. It seems to be very well stuck, but I've got no idea whether the lens is just going to fall out when driving rough roads or similar. I don't think it will, but I guess I will only know when I do so....

It's a bit of a painstaking job, and quite messy (that glue is terribly sticky). However, it is quite straightforward. Hope it helps someone.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Re: Headlight Lens Replacement

Post by iandvl »

Just an update:

On the way back from Pretoria yesterday, I took the dirt roads from outside Kameeldrif to 10-rooms outside Harties. And then again from Harties again to Brits. After all the rain, the roads are in terrible shape. Potholes, corrugations, mud pools etc. The lens has not fallen out yet, so I guess it has set nicely.

In addition to this, I've decided to build some head-light protectors with some left-over 3mm perspex I have around from another project. The first set will take a while to make, but I'll build a mould for additional sets from the first one. After that, it should be relatively quick.

I'll start a new thread on that and post details on the process as I get around to it. But I guess I'll only start with this on the Easter weekend when I have a nice chunk of time available.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

Very nice Ian!! Looks very easy the way you did it and I am sure that glass will be stuck for life
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
PaulvdMerwe
Full Name: Paul van der Merwe
Nickname: Paul
Home Town: Graaff Reinet
Current 4x4: 2001 Patrol 3.0 DI GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by PaulvdMerwe »

Where did you get the new lens? I will be interested in a set of protectors as well so please post some pictures once they are done.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

PaulvdMerwe wrote:Where did you get the new lens? I will be interested in a set of protectors as well so please post some pictures once they are done.
I got a broken light with a good lens from David Volschenk. He might have a good light / lens. Ping him and hear...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Return to “13c. Headlights and Replacement Lights”