Tau999Heavy
Full Name: Milan David Svoboda
Nickname: Boda
Home Town: Strandfontein
Current 4x4: 5L 1GZ 1999 Nissan Patrol GRX
Home Language: English

1998 GRX stock speakers?

Post by Tau999Heavy »

Hi guys, as the title suggest's i was just wondering what kind of stock speakers come in the 1998 GRX models?
Ive been through the owners manual with no luck, and browsed the almighty internets only to find lots of conflicting info.

Basically planning on replacing my speakers, because im pretty sure ive blown at least 1 of them so far and ive done almost everything short of pulling out the door panels to find out what standard size and amperage they come in.

If anyone has any idea of what they could be i would really appreciate the help.
Milan.
Milan
Y61GRX - 5.0L 1GZ Swapped Patrol

Words of wisdom: When in doubt... use a hammer. The bigger the doubt.... the bigger the hammer!
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: 1998 GRX stock speakers?

Post by tour de frans »

Good day
I can not remember the name of the speakers, but there is enough space to fit a 5.5" round speaker. Again if I am not mistaken you can fit up to a 6" round speaker.
Rdgs
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
Sias
Full Name: Sias le Roux
Nickname: Sias
Home Town: Potchefstroom
Current 4x4: None (for now)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Sias »

'98 Trolls have a 5.5"/6" in the doors. They are piddly little 30w 6ohm jobbies that will distort and blow out if you just look at them funny. I took mine out and replaced with 60w RMS Kenwood 6" split system.
Tau999Heavy
Full Name: Milan David Svoboda
Nickname: Boda
Home Town: Strandfontein
Current 4x4: 5L 1GZ 1999 Nissan Patrol GRX

Post by Tau999Heavy »

Thx for the info guys : )
Milan
Y61GRX - 5.0L 1GZ Swapped Patrol

Words of wisdom: When in doubt... use a hammer. The bigger the doubt.... the bigger the hammer!
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Sias wrote:'98 Trolls have a 5.5"/6" in the doors. They are piddly little 30w 6ohm jobbies that will distort and blow out if you just look at them funny.
The 1998/1999 GRX actually has 6.5" speakers in each of the four doors. They are Clarion 4 Ohm dual cone units that are rated at 30W (peak) and 15W (nominal). The problem with these speakers is that the diaphragm that supports and centers the main cone perishes with age, leaving the cones unsupported and the armature free to touch the coil. This leads to horrible sound distortion at all but the lowest volumes.

The parts manual does show that some models have 5.5"/6" speakers (possibly the GLs?).

When I opened up my passenger side front door recently to fix the central locking (see here), I decided to replace my old knackered speakers as well. I bought four two way 6.5" Kenwood speakers (30W nominal rating). Although the Patrol's speakers are 6.5" units, the pitch circle diameter of the mounting holes is just a tiny bit smaller than that of the aftermarket speakers, but the speakers still fit with a bit of fiddling and gentle persuasion. The sound quality is quite good, but is definitely not in the professional audiophile league. Then again, that was not what I was after...
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX

Post by iandvl »

Would the same sizes apply to a 2001 GRX Patrol as well (ie: Would a 6.5" speaker fit) ? I've gathered that one of my speakers has blown, and would like to fix it. However, I'd prefer to get the correct size of the speakers so that I can buy an equivalent set without having to take the door lining off first and then having to take a sample in.

Also, my Patrol has speakers in the doors front and back. Are the sizes the same ? If I'm replacing a set of door speakers, it probably makes sense to replace them all while I'm about it...

I've been searching the interwebs for details on the factory installation / specifications without much luck currently. Nothing mentions the size... :think:

PS: I'm not an audiophile. I'd just like to listen to the radio occasionally without horrible distortion... :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

This is nice info, thanx guys. I am also looking to up grade speakers and radio. I am looking for a dubble din cd player that can use a SD card or USB stick. After the Namib trip I came to realise that the one cd player is no good. I destroyed the cd's with the corrigations :lol:
The Navara I had took a 6x9 in the front door. that was nice.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Mine is a GL model, and I fitted Kicker 60W RMS(nominal) split system ( http://www.kicker.com/11DS62 ). If I recall, I ffitted 6" front and rear, but I believe the 6.5" will fit too. There is a black plastic dish that the speaker fits into and If I recall there was a little space when I fitted the 6" in mine. If anything you might need to file the plastic a fraction to get the speaker to seat 100%, BUT I may be wrong on this.

Check this.... http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthrea ... Re-Fitting

I can recommend the Kicker DS series speakers, and Christo ( Chuck Norris ) told me to spend a few Rands extra and rather take these Kicker speakers. He is an audio guru and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sound quality, and I must say that these speakers are phenomenal. I am just running them off the head unit, ok it is a very good Pioneer head unit, and they play clear even at high volume ( Iron Maiden cannot be played softly ). I also have a Kicker Hideaway subwoofer ( http://www.kicker.com/11HS8 ) that connects to the RCA outputs of the headunit. This combination is amazing !!! The sub may not look very big....but boy oh boy it adds a dimension to the sound quality that is amazing !! I have this sub loosely sitting under my seat. I may even get another one and fit under the wife"s seat.... :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Cool vibrations Rickster. Does this sub need a amplifier. Can you maybe post some pics? Of the sub :lol:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

The amp is built in and has some fantastic "thing" that does some other "thing" ( Christo did try explain it to me ), and All I can say is that it is really fantastic. I will try take a pic ot 2 tonight, but it looks exactly like the one on here http://www.kicker.com/11HS8

There is a short video lower down on the page that gives some better info, and size

I actually need to take my front seat out to let the sub sit 90deg to how it is at the moment, cause I can just slide it in under the seat from the front. It just would be nicer if it was sitting properly.....ahhhhh.....I'm such a lazy bugga :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD

Return to “13b. Audio Systems”