Reinier Claasen
Full Name: Reinier Claassen
Nickname: Gwantas
Home Town: Ballito
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

How much Lift?

Post by Reinier Claasen »

Hi, I just want to know which lift kit should I go for and why/not I should go for it: Either the 6" lift kit or a 4" lift kit?
If any one knows, I also would like to know what the price difference is.
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Dastek Unichip
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Re: How much Lift?

Post by XenoBlitz »

Reinier

It is probably a matter of taste and what you are going to do with it.

It is probably worth it to note that the Patrol, even with standard suspension (ie no lift whatsoever) is still a very capable off-road vehichle. If you are doing this because you only think you need to, then the best advice is do nothing.
Save the money, and do something that will actually help you.

As for the 4" VS 6": here is a few things to consider:
-A higher lift gives more ground clearance.
-A higher lift "usually" has more travel and will therefore have more tire on the dirt giving better traction. (assuming you didn't just use spacers to lift it.)
-A higher lift kit will have more body roll (especially around corners) and could be a factor if someone in the vehicle is prone to motion sickness
-A higher lift kit causes a higher centre of gravity and "could" cause the vehicle to topple over. (I've never actually seen this happen as is only truly applicable if you really go extreme.)
-A higher lift kit usually sags more when loaded.
-A Patrol (that is already by itself a high vehicle) becomes a lot harder to load and unlaod (especially on the roofrack) with a higher lift kit.

Thre are probably a few other things that I can't think off-hand that compares the two, but there is just one more cosmetic thing. If you lift your suspension, put in bigger tires, because it looks just sad to have a huge vehicle seperated between body and tiny wheels far below. :rolling:

Other things you might want to consider when lifting your vehicle:
Loading conditions - if you plan to regularly overload your vehichlee, then make sure you put heavy duty suspension in the back. However if you don;t plan to regularly overload it, DO NOT put heavy duty suspension in as it will make the ride hard and uncomfortable. You can alternatively just support the suspension with air which you can adjust for each loading condition. This however reduces the travel a bit.

OME (and other suppliers) often have a coil that is tapered at the top. This makes the ride nice and soft for tar roads when not heavily loaded, but still offers a durable and long traveling suspension when under heavy stress.

DO NOT LET LA SPORT in Pretoria install the lift kit. I had to take mine back a few times before it was finally right.

Lifting the vehicle by too much could interfere with the steering. (quite few people have complained about having more wobble at 100 kph after their lift.)

Make sure your steering is straightened again after the lift.

Anyone else has something to add that I might have missed? Peter?
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Go 3 inch and as soft as you can with air helpers at the back so that you blow it up when loaded :mytwocents:
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

Lifts higher than 4'' also puts strain on your prop shaft's universal joints as they have to operate at more acute angles.

Remember to extend your brake compensator bracket with the same amount as your lift otherwise your brake bias will be out. :mytwocents:
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Post by Chris Skinner »

I did EFS 2" heavy duty, and am very happy. I tow a large heavy boat in some prett rough conditions and have never looked back. I would not go more than 2 inch - it's overkill!
Mrowka
Full Name: Kevin Mason
Nickname: Kevin
Home Town: Kiev
Current 4x4: 1994 Nissan Patrol 4.2TD
Home Language: English

Post by Mrowka »

Unless you are planning to run huge tires and/or take extreme obstacles, a 2" spring lift is more than plenty. Neither huge tires or extreme obstacles are advisable if you want to travel too far from home on your own.
Патроль - эта вечная машина!
Reinier Claasen
Full Name: Reinier Claassen
Nickname: Gwantas
Home Town: Ballito
Current 4x4: 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5GRX

Post by Reinier Claasen »

Thanks guys. It really helped a lot. My main reason for the lift is for heavy 4x4-ing. The centre of gravity thing makes sense to me so I think I'll go with a 4" lift rather than the 6". I will also later on put bigger tyres on and is tossing between 285/75/16 or 305/75/16. That calculates to either 33" or 34" M/T tyres. As far as I know the patrol can go up to 37" before needing major mods. Fuel consumption will be down I know but that is just one sacrifice one have to endure. I drive 80% of the time on bad gravel roads in any case, hence the idea of going M/T's.

Another question: Does any one knows what the impact of a higher suspension will be during a head on or partial head on collision? Is it a positive or negative? The reason why I ask is that in our area we have quite dangerous roads and that most of the accidents that happens, are of this sort. That is also why I opted with the patrol and not with the landcruiser - for the same price you get more safety without compromising on capability.
2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Dastek Unichip
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

The only down side is that you will be more likely to fly over the car in front of you... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I wouldn't want to be the "other guy" in that collision.

On a more serious note: yes you are more likely to end on your roof if you lift, but whether you lift or not, always wear your safety belt. :pray:

PS: Also, since you are likely for an accident, make sure all your modifications are approved by your insurance. You don't want them to not pay out because of something small.
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
AndriesS
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Andries
Nickname: None
Home Town: Pretoorsdorp
Current 4x4: 4.8 GL with hairdryer.

Post by AndriesS »

My 4 cents, a x inch lift will lift the car even more than x inches when unloaded, keep that in mind if it is your daily driver.

The following must also be considered
the rear anti roll bar brackets needs to be extended, it will look fine but may bind/ limit travel of the axle
all the flexible brake pipes must be checked if they not under strain at full flex, some fitment shops undo brackets to stop it, but the bracket was there for reason
diff breather pipes will have to be extended.

check that it fits in your garage.

I also used LA Sport , not going to mention which branch but also found a number of pipes unclipped or completely off, as a group it sounds like they really to work on some quality control.

Also if your towing , check if you need a drop plate and if so, if so, use a proper towbar with dropplate
Sias
Full Name: Sias le Roux
Nickname: Sias
Home Town: Potchefstroom
Current 4x4: None (for now)

Post by Sias »

XenoBlitz wrote: As for the 4" VS 6": here is a few things to consider:
-A higher lift gives more ground clearance.Actually, it doesn't. It gives you better approach and departure angles as the body is lifted. Your diff-"pumpkin" will still be the same height off the ground and the only way to get that higher, is to fit bigger tires.
-A higher lift kit usually sags more when loaded.That depends on what stifness coils you install - light-, medium-, or heavy load.

Return to “23. Other Queries”