Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Sart Monkey200/400

Post by Chris Skinner »

I read an old post (I think Jan Dup..) something about the start-monkey200 for assisting start with flat battery. I am quite interested in such an accessory, so has anyone tried this and can report on the effectiveness. Is the 200 strong enough for the typical patrol battery, or should one get a '400??

Start Monkey 200 Jump Start Kit for 12-Volt Auto Battery

Description:

The startmonkey200 is the world's smallest "jump start" system for car batteries. The startmonkey200 can restart a standard 12-Volt car battery between 15 and 20 times on a full charge thanks to its High Energy Dynamic Polymer Battery. And it is packed with high-tech features to give you total peace of mind.

The startmonkey200 has 2 output channels:

a 12Volt, 120Amp jump start output for your car battery
a 12Volt, 100 watt max, 8Amp DC output for charging your portable gadgets
NOTE: You must ensure that your car battery is 12 Volts (if 5 or 24 Volts - DO NOT USE with startmonkey200).

Features:

Jump starts a standard 12V car battery with the 12Volt 120Amp jump start output socket
Charges your portable gadgets with the 12V DC output socket
Recharges with the supplied in-car charger, accepting voltages between 15 - 24 Volts to recharge
Has very low static wastage, meaning that it can be left unused for up to three years and it will still hold up to 75% of its power
Dimensions: 174 x 46.5 x 49 mms
Approvals: CE, FCC, RoHS, E-Mark, Green Dot and WEEE
Attachments
!C!W,6gw!2k~$(KGrHqIOKnMEz4Ohhmi5BNCl6itdO!~~0_12.jpg
!C!W,6gw!2k~$(KGrHqIOKnMEz4Ohhmi5BNCl6itdO!~~0_12.jpg (114.68 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Sart Monkey200/400

Post by Tinus lotz »

I have always juged a battery on its size a 95 A that starts a 4.8 about 10 times has a weight of ± 25 kg so a little 5 kg job I don't know??? :think: I have had a flat battery a couple of times and when you couple a full 110 A battery for 5min you some times get it to start . I would rather spend thenm oney. On a set of 25mm jumper cables and proper clamps bring it to me and I will crimp them for you so that you can jump start from your second battery even if its in the back of the car
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Hi Tinus
This seems to be an awesome little machine and will be very handy, even taking it out on the boat for extra peice of mind. Can just park it under your car seat and leave it there.
It just supplements your main battery and lifts it to a level where it can start the car - eg it probably will not start the car on its own.
If it works as advertised, I think will be well worth it. Can probably get from overseas for about R1600. If anyone interested let me know and I wil get a few on my next trip.

See videos on youtube:

en dan vir 'n vrek snaakse weergawe daarvan
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Hi Chris,

Looks like a great idea. However with the diesel's I don't think it would work. If my Trolls battery is to low to start the only way I can get it going is by pulling using another vehicle. Second or third and off you go.. On three occasions I tried to jump start. No way on earth.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

agian lets have a look and see but i dont think so mabe for a gets or uno or as chris says outbord motor . starting a big engine is all about a/h and a/h get stored in big batteries :think:
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Grant - that note of Tinus' - The jumpers must be up to it - is very true.
in 2009 we were in Richtersveldt na we cam upon a local who's Toy was in a ditch - BUT the battery was dead..
So Ben-Hur tried wih his jumpers, no go. Then Cobus tried with his jumpers - again, no go.. The I got my jumpers out [DIK drade met STEWIGE clamps]
First crank, that Toy started..
So - yes, the jumpers does make a diff. Big time.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

also next time you try and jumpstart a car put the jumpers on have a coke or a beer a camel or two and then crank the engine .........when you do it like that you putting some volts back in your battery and it saves starters ect we once started a 8 ton truck that was stuck in the mud by letting the alternator of the assisting car just do its work .the problem again is the amps that the starters pull and when it needs it and its not there the voltage falls and everything goes wrong .........so next time try it is works believe me !!!!!15min makes all the diffrence :salute:
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Gents,

I have welding cable set up as my jumper cables. I hear you but nobody will convince me. I have had four experiances and no chance. Rather pull out the tow rope and there you go.
V8 Power

Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Kagiso II wrote:Grant - that note of Tinus' - The jumpers must be up to it - is very true.
in 2009 we were in Richtersveldt na we cam upon a local who's Toy was in a ditch - BUT the battery was dead..
So Ben-Hur tried wih his jumpers, no go. Then Cobus tried with his jumpers - again, no go.. The I got my jumpers out [DIK drade met STEWIGE clamps]
First crank, that Toy started..
So - yes, the jumpers does make a diff. Big time.

Complements of the season to you Oom Mac,

Like I have said I have welding cable set up as my jumper cables after I learn,t my leason in the late 90's when we went to the Moremi and did not feel the need for a daul battery system. When we tried to start the Troll using jumper cables we literally melted the terminal fo the batterys.

Valuable leason learnt - I now only use Deltec Batterys.
V8 Power

Gerrie
Full Name: Gerrie van Eeden
Nickname: Gerrie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Igor a 1989 Toyota Hilux.

Post by Gerrie »

We have one of these here at our head offices. Our bakkie-projek Hilux was standing in the garage for quite some time and was as dead as a Dodo when I had to take it out. The security guys came with one of these and we got the bakkie started. So these things work. I just do not know how long they will keep their charge and if they also need to be recharged - because that could void their use as an emergency tool if it is also flat... just my :mytwocents:

Return to “23. Other Queries”