End of the Y61?

Have you spotted one of our Forum members in the Press or on TV?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: End of the Y61?

Post by Tinus lotz »

JohnBoyZA wrote:The only replacement is another Patrol ... I'm finally getting use to the Y62s shape ... and it's starting to look appealing! it's been around in Tanz for 5 years ... I can only dream....
Go big ....tell us what you think so we can also start dreaming this side.... WWW
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

My personal opinion: the unpopularity of the Patrol is not per se due to the live axles.

It's because the Patrol is sold as a "luxury vehicle", at a "luxury vehicle" price, where live axles have no place and even more so it is, in that market, outdated (in terms of bells and whistles) and is horribly under-powered (except for the 4.8, which apparently is not available in Auz anymore), when compared to it's competition.

Sad, but anyway.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

So what they should have done is split the market into two, like Toyota did.
Keep the live axles in a simple version (albeit with a stronger roof and chassis than the cruiser 70s),
and then have this glorified QX80 SUV monster - for those that like to pay top dollar for very capable, but never to be truly tested, 4x4 systems.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
JohnBoyZA
Site Admin
Full Name: John Murray
Nickname: John Boy
Home Town: Bloubergstrand
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by JohnBoyZA »

For those that haven't seen this article. In Aus the ratio is still about 5:1 in favour of the Cruiser. Agree with you Alex/peter

cheers
John

Arrival of Infiniti's QX80 luxury version will bring massive price cuts for Nissan's slow-selling Patrol
Nissan Australia has revealed it will slash prices of its flagship Y62 Patrol SUV by up to $25,000 when it releases a revised model range comprising just two models by August.

As we've reported, the imminent Patrol price cuts are designed to make way for its mechanical twin, the Infiniti QX80.

The hulking QX80 luxury SUV was originally due here in early 2014 before Nissan Australia went cold on the idea of competing for a handful of buyers with the similarly V8 petrol-only Lexus LX 570.

But the hefty Patrol price cuts also follow glacier-like sales of the seven-seat SUV since it was launched here in February 2013, when former Nissan Australia chief Bill Peffer Jr insisted it would attract "hundreds [of customers] a month".

Last year the petrol-only Patrol found 1859 homes for an average of 155 a month, while its only direct competitor –Toyota's petrol and diesel powered 200 Series LandCruiser – notched up 9067 registrations. To May this year, the Patrol has attracted 803 buyers for an average of 160.month, while the LandCruiser tallied 3754.

Nissan's current Australian CEO Richard Emery told motoring.com.au he was comfortable with those sales numbers but said Patrol pricing will be dramatically lowered to reflect the actual prices currently being paid when a rationalised line-up with just two models arrives in July or August.

"We don't need to sell more," he said. "We know what the price should be. Our intention is to align RRPs [recommended retail prices] with transaction prices. Nobody has paid full price."

Officially, the three-variant Patrol range comprises the entry-level ST-L for $82,690 plus on-road costs, the mid-range Ti for $93,390 plus ORCs and the flagship Ti-L for $114,490 plus ORCs – all fitted with a 298kW/560Nm 5.6-litre petrol V8 and seven-speed automatic transmission.

There are 66 new or low-kilometre Y62 Patrols currently for sale at carsales.com.au, many of which are 2013 models and all of which are advertised with prices well below the manufacturer's list price.

A number of brand-new ST-L models are available for $62,990 drive-away (about $20,000 lower than the list price), while the Ti can be had for $76,990 drive-away ($16,400 less than retail) and a range of Ti-L vehicles are offered at $89,990 drive-away – at least $24,500 less than the MLP.

Therefore we expect the cheaper, simplified Patrol line-up to open at less than $70,000, undercutting the entry-level LandCruiser GX diesel ($73,990 plus ORCs) and a high-spec version to be priced under $90,000 to compete with the LandCruiser VX (from $90,990 petrol, $93,990 diesel).

Meantime, the Infiniti QX80 should top the Japanese luxury brand's SUV line-up around the same time, available in a single specification priced to compete with the $134,700 LX 570 at under $120,000.
Attachments
pat_cruis.jpg
pat_cruis.jpg (120.56 KiB) Viewed 7691 times
pat.jpg
pat.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 7691 times
Nissan Patrol, GRX, 4.8 (GU Y61)
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

What is it now ? ....
Does the Y61 come to the end of its Production life in 2016.... or not ?

see report in biz news....

https://www.biznews.com/motoring/2015/1 ... y-updated/

Motoring / December 14, 2015
Nissan Patrol Station Wagon actually updated

by Nick Hodgson December 14, 2015 | Nissan Patrol, Nissan South Africa, Off-road vehicles, Patrol, popular, South Africa,

quote:
Recently I got a fair amount of stick for calling out Toyota on introducing a “new” version of their legendary Land Cruiser – even though the number of updates barely deserved the term “upgrade”. Now it’s Nissan’s turn and luckily they have actually changed a few things in this, the new Patrol station wagon.

The changes are mainly on the inside, but they’re most definitely apparent. Full leather interior and a revamped entertainment system (touch screen full colour navigation with USB and Bluetooth integration) are nice touches that I’m sure Nissan is hoping will tempt a few customers away from the runaway success that their Japanese rival (ie Toyota) has had for years. Lower models now get dual zone climate control as well.

In fact I’m quite baffled why the Patrol has never done as well here. Off-road they’re virtually unbeatable and as for reliability, well there’s a very good reason why the Nissan Patrol comes with a 6 year, 150,000km warranty. Nissan know they don’t break.

In fact Nissan is so confident that they specifically said they didn’t want to touch the “go anywhere” mechanicals that have made the Patrol a favourite for the discerning enthusiast.

Under the skin Nissan has wisely retained the popular and reliable 3 litre four cylinder common rail, direct injection turbo-diesel engine that delivers 118 kW at 3 600 rpm and a solid 371 Nm of torque, which peaks at a low 2 000 rpm. The low-end grunt is ideal for technical off-road work and it gives the Patrol a maximum tow rating of 2.7 ton. This engine has a proven track record and a class-leading fuel consumption figure of 8.1 litres per 100 km on the open road.

The engine delivers power to the rear wheels in 2WD mode and to all four in both low and high range 4WD mode. True to its off-road status, the Nissan Patrol is equipped with heavy-duty springs, telescopic front and rear shocks for 240 mm suspension travel and solid front and rear axles. The Patrol has a massive 135 litre fuel tank and vented brake discs in the front and rear.

Both versions of the Patrol Station Wagon have a rear lockable diff and automatic locking hubs with the option of a manual override. The 3.0 TD Patrol has a five-speed manual gearbox with a high and low range transfer case.

“There are many other unseen benefits to owning a Patrol,” says Birch. “No other vehicle in this segment has a 6-year 150 000 km warranty and a 5-year 90 000 km service plan. What should also be mentioned is that the Patrol is compatible with 500 ppm diesel, which means that overland adventurers can comfortably venture across the border without lugging their fuel with them.”

The Nissan Patrol 3.0 TD GL 4×4 Station Wagon is available at a suggested retail price of R605 000 and service intervals are every 15 000 km.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Jip die manne wat patrol nou bemark maak mooi :thumbup:
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Good qeustion. Maybe they will keep it on as an alternative to the cruiser 70 series. It really is the only other true overland alternative. So there is a market for these cars. A true utility car. Peter is correct in saying that they must just change the marketing on it from SUV to UV. There is billions of acres of wilderness in the world. Incl 3rd and 4th world countries. So new old school no nonsense cars are still a nececity. Things like the Patrol Y61, cruiser 70, galandawagen and landrover defender.

It makes sense to offer 1 or 2 varients in this catogory because the market is small. And if you truly be honest with youselfs, the only overland car to take into unknown territory or far secluded places is a diesel. 3 reasons. They can run on the crapiest of feul and they are more economical. Diesel is also esier to get hold of because of trucks.

Looking at the 4.8 Y61. Yes is a brute. But its way under powered compaired to other 6 silinder engines. You get 2liters now a days that makes more power. Is the low revving 4.8 more reliable. YES, by far. The 6 cilinder engine whether its V6 or straight six is begining to fade away. Its days are getting numbered. You can go and look at all the major car manufactuters aspesialy german brands. The have from 1.2 turbo's up to 2.0 turbos and then they jump to V8 turbos. Very few still run a normal asperated 6 silinder. And those who do will soon get rid of them as well. Its sad, but reality. I love 6 silinders. I own a 3.2 normal asperated Audi. I had a 330bmw. Inline 6 silinder. Great bullet proof engines. Both redundant and replaced by turbo versions. I think mostly its just nissan and toyota that still uses a lot of V6 engines.

What do people want from a true luxury SUV? My opinion. Something with lots of space. Lots of leather. Good qaulity materials. All the bells and wistles. Great power to weight ratio. Quick out of the line. Great on overtaking. Light on feul. Great handling and road stability at high speeds. Nice and quiet inside.
Does the 4.8 tick all these boxes? No.

Well I can babbel on for the rest of the day because I simple have the time. But, if you have the choice of one engine variant Y61 Patrol on the market in 2 specs or no Y61's at all, what will it be?

The 3.0crd GL makes sense to me.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Picasso
Full Name: HS
Nickname: Picasso
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
T3 Syncro
Home Language: German

Post by Picasso »

Hallo Josh

Good write-up... and all your points make sens !

The sensible choice from the OEM perspective might be the 3 liter TD.

I am just slightly more nervous in running turbocharged Vehicles ... in the long run... (200 TKM +)

I have and had turbo charged Vehicles .. from inline 4 cyl. TD ... to V6 Bi-turbo ....to V8 Bi-turbo.

My 2001 Patrol 4.5 I bought with 200.000 km with a high level of confidence that I will be able to drive the vehicle for another 200.000 km with ease.
And, I do not have the same confidence level in the vehicles mentioned before.

So whilst you are right with all the points you made... I would also love the less- sensible option of an 4.8 auto GRX .... :pray:
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

You just helped in proving my point. Manufacturers make new vechicle's. This is where they make there money. So if they had to keep one vehicle to cater for the small overland car market it will have to be the diesel.

Personaly, i will not buy n turbo car, petrol or diesel with over 150 000 km on it. :lol: preferably still under warrenty.
If I know the previous owner personally i might consider.
So in general we are doomed, well those of us who are not shakes, anyways.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Vloot
Full Name: Johannes Rath Groenewald
Nickname: Vloot
Current 4x4: Patrol Pickup TD42 2007

Post by Vloot »

Well they are bringing in new models and updates in South Africa.

https://www.biznews.com/motoring/2015/1 ... y-updated/

Therefore I suppose Y61 is not stopping yet.

Return to “32. In the Press”