Nickname: Achilles
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 3.0 Di GL Man.T 2005
Subaru Forester 2.5 Lineartronic AWD 2017
Home Language: English

new Patrol owner - unresponsive & evasive Nissan dealer

Post by Nino62 »

Hi Patrollers,
I've recently bought a (seemingly) nice condition Patrol 3.0Di GL 2001, from a Nissan dealership on the West Coast.
On arranging a 30min midway viewing ( between CT and said dealer), I was impressed with the vehicle & the number of new-ish extras it had on it ( the first error on the part of the advert on Gumtree was the mileage advertised, was not the actual mileage on the clock), but as the condition seemed good, and a reduction in price....all seemed good-to-go.

A general list was made to sort out, before delivery, whilst I endeavored to arrange financing, etc....

After a 2 week "PREP", the deposit was paid and balance financing was all OK'd. On the arranged day of the official "hand over", I was informed at the last minute that the vehicle hadn't been roadworthied yet, and as I had arranged a half-way lift to collect "my paid for" vehicle, I settled with carrying out the roadworthy in CT, at my intial expense, but to be refunded asap by the Nissan dealer.

I'm still "out of pocket".....

Since having originally received the vehicle, a number of faults were noticed, photographed where possible, and a detailed list made up (with photos), and submitted to the dealer, who responded via their saleperson that I should "get the vehicle to their workshop to sort out".

THIS I FELT UN-FAIR, AS THEY ORIGINALLY SHOULD HAVE SORTED THE CAR OUT WHEN THE DEAL WAS STRUCK. THEY THEN HAD THE SECOND OPPORTUNITY BEFORE THE DELIVERY DATE (KNOWN TO BOTH MYSELF AND THE DEALER), AND AKNOWLEDGED.

I had insisted that a dealership in CT would be a more convenient and suitable option to me, as the vehicle was not sorted out by the dealer in the previous occassions.
After not getting a positive reply, I arranged an "unplanned" holiday in the dealer's vicinity (at my cost), and made prior arrangements with them, that I would present the Patrol fort he required repairs on Friday 22/3/2013. ALL WAS CONFIRMED...

After dropping off the Patrol for the repairs, and receiving a courtesy sedan, we waited the remainder of the day sight-seeing, expecting to retrieve the Patrol REPAIRED, later that day.

DISSAPOINTMENT on collection.... :thumbdown: the Patrol was merely WASHED, and no repairs were carried out, with the response being "that the parts (of which they were fully made aware of previously) hadn't arrived yet, AND ... THAT I'D HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER TRIP TO DELIVER THE PATROL, ONCE THE PARTS ARRIVED .... !!!!

After refusing to undergo this trip again, I insisted AGAIN, that a dealership in CT should carry out the repairs (acknowledged by the dealer, that would be sorted out), and eventually had a verbal agreement by a management/staff member, that I could take the Patrol to a specified dealership, to carry out the required repairs on Tuesday 26/3/2013. She also pointed out that one of the faults, the ABS light that was on (brake fault noted and reported on the first day of viewing - before purchase), would need a R4000-R5000 replacement part.

On the second last day of our "unplanned " long weekend in the dealer's area, the Patrol developed a blown exhaust-system fault as well, and after contacting the original saleperson to report the latest problem, and asking if it might be easier (and convenient for them to leave the Patrol at their workshop), I was told that he would try to contact the dealership principal, and arrange something.

I was "sms'd" the principals cell number (on Sunday 24/3/2013), and ever since, have not been able to either get hold of the principal (who had a PLEA for assistance left on his voicemail by myself), nor the saleperson, who has not answered his cell ever since the initial report of the exhaust failure..... !! :redface: :redface:

WHERE TO FROM HERE ...???

It's a "seemingly" great vehicle, and the items to be rectified are not, in my opinion, enormous nor insurmountable ( on behalf of the Nissan dealership).
I just have this foreboding that the dealership may renege on their responsibility, and that my enthusiasm and expectations of this first offroad Nissan will get "dashed".
I will fully take back any doubt and congratulate the dealership, should I be proved wrong...... :helpsign: :helpsign: :helpsign:
Last edited by Nino62 on 28 Mar 2013 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Here's to the next 4x4 trip Good company, remarkable scenery & a good capable vehicle - WISH LIST: custom front & rear bumper+winch, Air assist springs.
Bruin Beer
Full Name: Riaan Delport
Nickname: Rooian
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: new Patrol owner - unresponsive & evasive Nissan dealers

Post by Bruin Beer »

Nino,
All I can say is "welcome to the struggle club".
I would be the worst guy to try and motivate you after a similar experience with Nissan Benoni.
I took my last hope bash by contacting Mr. Labotski, at the factory. It sounded as if he might be the guy to help.
What a joke.
He only tried to trick me to have my patrol fixed at a convenient dealer close to me. When enquiring about the settlement for the repair it became apparent that it would be for my account.
I can think of allot to say but none is going to be good, nor for me and certainly not for Nissan.
I had cut my losses and pledged to not buy any spares from a Nissan dealer. I would wait months for an import and disconnect the battery if need be but do all in my power not to support the local dealers.
Maybe somebody else has a more positive response. Just hope this can save you allot of time, hassles and pain.
Good luck.
Bruin Beer
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

I would return the vehicle and insist on my money back - this dealership obviously cannot be trusted.
You are within your rights to do this within a certain period, as far as I am aware.
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

You could also register your problem with Hello Peter or/and the Ombudsman.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
Nino62
Full Name: Achille Barbera

Re: new Patrol owner - unresponsive & evasive Nissan dealer

Post by Nino62 »

Hi Bruin Beer & Chris,

Your replies are much appreciated. I don't wish to return the Patrol, as I've really bonded with it already, and look forward to the years of pleasure and reliability one "should" expect of such a robustly built offroad vehicle....

I've previously owned a Nissan 1-tonner LDV and the legendary 1400 1/2 tonner LDV (both from new), which, apart from the earlier rust manifestations on certain models, performed well under most conditions.

As you indicate... the specific dealership/s is/are plagued with the "odd" ROTTEN APPLE ....
More's the pity, if the main factory/management doesn't address and "sort out" such occurences/dealerships. :naughty:

The marque will surely suffer, as there is no more powerful an ambassidor than a "satisfied" customer.... and vice-verso... :idea:
Last edited by Nino62 on 28 Mar 2013 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Here's to the next 4x4 trip Good company, remarkable scenery & a good capable vehicle - WISH LIST: custom front & rear bumper+winch, Air assist springs.
Nino62

Post by Nino62 »

Hi Jorrie,

Thanks for the advice... where would I find the e-mail addresses/forum to lodge such a complaint?

Regards
Nino62
Last edited by Nino62 on 28 Mar 2013 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

No sweat - I really hope you get the issues sorted and can then really get to enjoying the vehicle without these frustrations WWW
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

Just get a egt fitted to that patrol assap there are plenty info on the forum about it ....if you can keep it cool it will last you plenty of years hope you come wright with those dudes ........hello peter them so that they don't do it to other people to !!!!!!
Nino62

Post by Nino62 »

Hi Tinus,

Not to sound ignorant, ...but what is an "EGT"??

Regards.
Achille
Last edited by Nino62 on 28 Mar 2013 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Nino62 wrote:Hi Jorrie,

Thanks for the advice... where would I find the e-mail addresses/forum to lodge such a complaint?

Regards
Nino62
Google Hello Peter and the Motor Industry Ombudsman. You should find it easily.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)

Return to “17. Nissan SA, Alternate Service & Workshops”