Good/Bad Nissan Service: Your Patrol story

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

How do you as a Patrol owner, rate Nissan service?

Excellent
8%
Average
25%
Below par
24%
Poor
31%
So bad that it could effect what I buy next
12%

Total votes: 51

Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Good/Bad Nissan Service: Your Patrol story

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

The 4.8 Patrol A/T certainly has a five speed transmission that was designed from the beginning as a five speed and that has torque converter lock-up functionality in 4th and 5th gears.

By the way, a 4 speed + overdrive transmission would still have five physical ratios. The RE5R05A transmission in the Patrol 4.8 has the following ratios:

1st: 3.540
2nd: 2.264
3rd: 1.471
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.834
Reverse: 2.370

As is evident, the 4th gear is a direct drive and 5th is actually an overdrive ratio (just as is the case with most manual five speed gearboxes).
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Johann Meyer
Full Name: Johann Berend Meyer
Nickname: JB
Home Town: Melkbosstrand
Current 4x4: Land Cruiser 80 4.5
Land Cruiser 79 4.5i

Post by Johann Meyer »

Nowe i dont feel so bad at all anymore.
Thought it was only me battle to get the right parts from Nissan, :rolleyes:
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Post by Russ Kellermann »

I got my part fast enough, but when i open up to look at them, i see they put in GUD filter , ummmmmmmm, no no no no no Nissan, not gonna work for me, besides being illegal and possibly voiding your warranty rendering its credibility null . these okes are taking the piss out of everyone, on both a legal and ethics front!!! :oldtimer:
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Mrowka
Full Name: Kevin Mason
Nickname: Kevin
Home Town: Kiev
Current 4x4: 1994 Nissan Patrol 4.2TD

Post by Mrowka »

Pieter du Toit wrote:I love my Patrol and will never drive any other 4x4 - but Nissan's service is up the ying yang. Here is my story.....

No really it is pathetic.
I cannot comment to the Nissan service organization in SA, but we have similar stories here in Ukraine. Nissan service in Ukraine could not organize a p*ss-up in a brewery. (Unfortunately, they are the only source for a lot of parts.)

It is not just SA or Ukraine; everywhere I read about Nissan service, I read the same stories, just new characters.

I am convinced that one reason Toyota Land Cruisers have a higher sale price and resale value than Nissan Patrols is not because the Cruisers are better or more capable, but because of the Toyota service organization. Every time we are told that a part is only available in three weeks and we wait two months for a USD 10 part, it does the Nissan reputation no good.
Патроль - эта вечная машина!
Neillouw
Full Name: Neil Louw
Nickname: Neil Louw
Home Town: Porterville
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 3.0TDi GL

Post by Neillouw »

Morning Gents,

It has come to my attention that quite a few people have the "bubble" problem. Not verbally, but on the dashboards. Just to let you know, if your Patrol is under 60 months old, you can go to your dealer and request a claim from NSA. If you have any problems, do give me a shout.
Niekie
Full Name: Niekie de Villiers
Nickname: Niekie
Home Town: Vereeniging
Current 4x4: 2005 Patrol GRX

Post by Niekie »

Is there anything they can do for a 2005. The dash board have been seen by Nissan 2 years ago, but at the time they pulled there shoulders up and quoted me R7 000.00 for a new one.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Re: Photo Competition 2011 - Voting Open

David wrote:Life will be tuff without a Troll :woo:
YES ,...IT IS, i havn't had my Patrol for 3months, but thats because NISSAN is so pathetic they dont carry stock of any parts at all. To be honest this product is a big let-down and shouldn't be advocated in the light in which it is. 3 months to fix a vehicle, NO courtesy car. So after purchasing their flagship brand we just expected to get to work on foot for more than 3 months and pick up the children in a back-pack.

Disgraceful brand.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Russ,

Just sent your post to a contact in Nissan SA. Lets see the response speed. I which dealership is/was your Troll ?
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Grant, i have been dealing with Nissan Customer care for months now. Nothing ever happens. Asked for a courtesy car on 5 occasions, they simply will not put an answer to it, as if i havn't asked, its beyond me.

The branch i first reported the case to regarding my gearbox was my usual nissan dealership - Tokai william Simpson - Cape Town. I have mentioned here elsewhere that i will write a full report for all you guys here on what has happened (or mostly - NOT happened) , as soon as i get my vehicle back. I had to threaten them with legal action, as well as threaten to submit my testimonial of events in detail to all 5 motoring organisations and/or forums of which i am a member. I will also be reporting the events to hello peter.

My vehicle was under 100 000km / 3 year warranty when the problem was first brought to the attention of Nissan (93 000km), over 7months ago, the reading on the odometer is now at 135 000km... In total i have been without a vehicle for over 4months. Unacceptable. There is no urgency with this company even with full knowledge of your situation due to their own disgraceful service.
Didi
Full Name: Derald Diedericks
Nickname: Didi
Home Town: Kriel
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by Didi »

Over the last 4 years I have been useing Trichardt Nissan and have always received excellent and friendly service.
This include all aspects of this dealer-reception,sales department,service department and the spares department.
Never had a comeback or complain after a service and they replace my Patrol's dash without any issues.A week after I took my Patrol in to claim a new dash they phoned me to book my vehicle in for the replacement.Received my car back today new dash and washed.The spares department is always quick and efficient and the longest I had to wait for a spare was 2 days and that was for my 16 year old Hardbody's petrol pump.Normally they phone me within 1 day to tell me my spares have arrived.

From my experience with Trichardt Nissan I would highly recommend them.

Cheers

Return to “17. Nissan SA, Alternate Service & Workshops”