Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

Nissan SA Responses to ZD30 Problems

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi all,

I have decided to start a new thread with regards to my communication with Nissan SA - and their responses. The idea here is to inform other forum members with similar vehicles on Nissan SA's views as well as to ask for advice / responses / first hand experiences from forum members. As most of you are aware I am going to take the matter of my blown ZD30 motor further - and in pursual of Nissan SA I will be going a legal route and I am also going to approach Carte Blanche Consumer.

Uncle Mac you need to get on the bandwagon here with me please - I know I have not contacted you yet as promised but will do soon - my email regarding the legal proceedings (posted here http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... t=70#p9992) to Nissan SA has hardly landed on their pc's when I received a personal telephone call from Mr Tony Minnie with an offer - which I declined. Will post the actual email received.

I will value each and everyone's input here especially those who have had first hand experience / problems with the ZD30's. Abri ek gaan ook vir jou vra vir inligting rondom jou en Johan Sevenster se gevalle waar julle engines wel vervang is ook.

Groete - mag ons hierdie koperatiewe organisasie wat hulself Nissan SA wys dat verbruikers / KLIENTE (veronderstel) nie oor hulle gaan laat loop en dinge net gelate aanvaar nie.
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: Nissan SA Responses to ZD30 Problems

Post by Pieter du Toit »

My email to Tony Minnie subsequent to his telephone call to me on Tuesday Afternoon:

Dear Tony,

Our telecon earlier this afternoon has reference.

Herewith a copy of the article that appeared in the Jan 2010 issue of SA 4X4 - the one which you can not comment on. This article alone will make Nissan SA stand with a red face in a court of law - this vehicle was 7 years old with a 179 000km on it compared to my Patrol of 8 years and 145 000km.

With all due respect - but please do not insult me by offering me parts at R55 000-00 and labour for my own account. This is only one of many cases - this being the more recent one.

I am looking forward to your response on this article.

Your sincerely

Pieter du Toit
3 Retzia Road
Hoheizen
Welgemoed

Tel no: (021) 913-5991 (Home)
Cellno: +2782 803 5073

Email: pieterdt@nashuaisp.co.za

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Tony Minnie's follow-up email to me regarding the SA4X4 Article. Note that he does not comment anything on the FACT that this vehicle does not have any service history:

Dear Pieter,

This engine you are referring to is not the same as your vehicle. This is a Hardbody, with different engine mappings than your engine.

In addition the ZD 30 Hardbody engine is different in specification than your Patrol engine.

Regards

Tony MINNIE

General Manager Aftersales

NISSAN SOUTH AFRICA (PTY) LTD

Tel: +27 (0) 12 529 5009
Fax: +27 (0) 86 6314256
Cell: +27 (0) 82 556 6203

E-mail:tonym@nissan.co.za
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Tony Minnie's written response subsequent to his telephone call where he made me the offer of the parts for R55 000-00 excluding labour (for my own account):

Dear Pieter,

As per our conversation, we have made you an offer of 1/3 of the Dealer quotation(R 155 292.33) provided to you on the 27th May 2010.

Please be reminded that you are the second owner and has not maintained the service agreement with a Nissan authorised dealer.

Your vehicle is 8 years old and should have been serviced on average 8 times at a Nissan dealer during this period.

Please note that this offer is merely a goodwill gesture and in no way admission of any liability.

Regards

Tony MINNIE
General Manager Aftersales

NISSAN SOUTH AFRICA (PTY) LTD
Tel: +27 (0) 12 529 5009
Fax: +27 (0) 86 6314256
Cell: +27 (0) 82 556 6203

E-mail:tonym@nissan.co.za
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

Just a thought....by highlighting these issues you are effectively destroying the re-sale value of other people who own ZD30 Patrol....
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

It's ok.
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

SRXy wrote:Just a thought....by highlighting these issues you are effectively destroying the re-sale value of other people who own ZD30 Patrol....
Hi there man with the funny name!!

I have or had no intention to do anybody harm - or make them think lesser of their vehicles. The problem with the ZD30 motor is known to spesific models (2001 - early 2003).....and rather the devil you know than the devil you don't....... :oldtimer:

I am and have been a very proud Nissan Patrol owner - but I don't think it is funny when Nissan quotes you R155 292-00 (yes this is no typing error!!!) for parts excluding labour to get your vehicle fixed - it is more than the book value of the car :surprised:

So yes rather ZD30 owners becoming aware of the potential thread they might have than being left in the dark......this way they can decide for themselves what to do or not to do.

The idea of this forum is to share all info and problems - this way we get to know our vehicles - and could make I would like to say informed decisions on the vehicle's we want to drive. I for one is now doing completely away with my ZD30 and doing a 4.2 TD Turbo conversion. :eureka:

Just my thoughts......no harm meant.

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

I think it will enhance tha re-sale value of the 3.0 knowing that a legal precedent has been created for Nissan to fix their defective design work!
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Post by JG Shields »

It is sad that we have to highlight particular vehicle problems such as these. However, I agree that we have to do it for the following reasons.

1. In the process we do put pressure on Nissan do do something about the problem and YES, it can probably make a positive difference at the end.

2. Yes, it is possible to harm the seller's re-sal value. However, by keeping quit we just pass the very same problem to the next owner who will most likely end up on this forum with the same arguments any way. I believe in open honesty. I have never sold a vehicle with a hidden problem. I always highlight to the buyer whatever problems I am aware of.

3. If the problem is not solved by Nissan for good, is it not better to end the existance of the particular model for good?
Patrol fan!
Aardvark
Full Name: Patrick Pontac
Nickname: Pat
Home Town: Kuils River
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 30Di GRX 2001
Home Language: English

Post by Aardvark »

Hi Gents

I just joined the forum and also just bought a 2001 ZD30 Patrol. Yes i know now it may have not ben a wise move nevertheless as luck would have it started with issues from the word go. I am having trouble starting the patrol after a pritty peny has been spent we can conclude a eletrical issue seems to be to be the most obvious cause. What specifically is still to be determined maybe a faulty timer in the ECU as i said i am rather new to the patrol seen but i am absolutely crazy for them. Maybe someone can guide me or direct me to somene who can help. The glow plugs, timing kit had to be replaced after the valves bent and shim buckets broke.This was afteri found the fan belt tensiner was replaced with a makeshift threaded rod.All the injectors and injector pump has been checked and found to be ok. Please help urgently.

Return to “17. Nissan SA, Alternate Service & Workshops”