Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: GRX Alloy Wheel

Post by Clem »

graham1 wrote: 02 Apr 2018 14:18 Yip, I would go the refurb route. It should come out good as new.

On the worry of not having a spare - I’m sure someone on the forum can offer their spare to you for just in case. I would offer mine, but she gets used at least twice a week, so I can’t allow myself to be stranded.
Thanks Graham. I've never had a puncture yet on the Patrol but you know Murphy's law...
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Clem, the problem with taking an extra spare on a trip is the weight and where to put it!!

Have you tried putting a tyre and rim on a roof rack? You need about 3 or 4 guys, and then they have to be TALL guys!! And then they get in each other's way doing it, and drop it once or twice before getting it right. As you said yourself, Murphy is always lurking somewhere nearby.......

And taking it off the roof rack, you will obviously have to drop it off the roof, jump off the roof yourself and run 200m after the rolling tyre (if you did not sprain your ankle jumping off the roof yourself), a tyre that has no inclination to co-operate or to stop rolling away..... By this time the wife and kids will be rolling around in the sand, laughing their heads off at your antics, running after a tyre down the hill and into the bushes!!! Putting the rim and buggered tyre back on the roof, with just the wife and kids to help you, is your next problem.....

Rather take a loose tyre and 3 tyre levers. The loose tyre is a lot lighter to put on the roof and 3 tyre levers can fit under the rear seats. Practice at home to take a tyre off a rim and fit one on a rim. To de-bead a tyre, drive over the edge of it with a over-inflated front tyre (engine's weight helps). You will need 3 tyre levers to take the tyre off the rim and 3 to put a new one on.

To get the tyre to inflate can be a bugger, specially one with stiff sidewalls, but bouncing it a bit and a ratchet strap normally does the trick to seal the tyre so it can be inflated. I would not take the 2nd spare with if it is a new tyre. It must be an old tyre (beads and side walls are softer and have been stretched during previous fitment), with 20% tread (lighter). The old buggered carcass can be disposed of, no longer taking up space.

Do not fit the loose tyre to the rim after the first flat. Put the spare on and wait to fit the loose tyre yourself only IF YOU HAVE TO!!. It is much easier for a fitment centre in the next town to do it, rather than the effort of doing it yourself in the veldt....
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

3 or 4 guys to take a spare wheel of the roof rack?... :surprised:
Eish, you guys need to get to the gym... :lol:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Go and try it!

Then you come back and tell us..... To lift it 2 meters off the ground, nowhere to actually hold on, and then shove it sideways? Not as easy as it sounds
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Many thanks indeed for the advice Malcolm.

I have used all options in the past. And I do have decent tyre levers and I have taken tyres off and refitted them, using a decent high flow compressor. I even have a pair of tyre pliers in my kit for bead breaking.

I really have two options for the additional spare wheel. Firstly, it can go on top of my trailer – I have nothing on top of my Metalian other than tread plate and a rail which together constitute a type of roofrack. So it could be secured there. I also have, at this point in time at least, sufficient space on the roofrack of the vehicle itself. As you say, raising and lowering a tyre off of a roofrack is something that needs to be done with care and carefully considered as to approach. I have found that the best way to do it is to raise and lower it with a strap or rope over the side of the vehicle while another individual standing on the ground holds it away from the side of the vehicle. No guarantees that you will not scuff the vehicle but you should not, with sufficient care. But, as you point out, they are not light. It's just convenient to be able to change a wheel when necessary as opposed to messing around changing a tyre. Pros and cons.

Anyway, as it turns out I have a partner here at the office who has a GRX wheel that he no longer wants. He bought it years ago as a six wheel for bush use but never ended up using it. So there's a giveaway there…
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Okay, so much for that. It turns out that I'm still on the look for a GRX alloy wheel.

Return to “39. Vehicles Accessories Wanted”