Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Re: Wanted: Patrol Wheel Nuts

Post by iandvl »

hugejp wrote:From my experience the pics above are for steelies (the plain nut "L0A") & grx mags (the washered & collared nut "J0A").

I switched from mags to steelies on my 4.8 grx & had to change nuts too.
Exactly what JP says.

From what I understand, the L0A is not for the alloy mag, but for the steel rim.

Be warned: running the wrong nuts with the wrong rims can cause ueber nonsense... :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

iandvl wrote:
hugejp wrote:From my experience the pics above are for steelies (the plain nut "L0A") & grx mags (the washered & collared nut "J0A").

I switched from mags to steelies on my 4.8 grx & had to change nuts too.
Exactly what JP says.

From what I understand, the L0A is not for the alloy mag, but for the steel rim.

Be warned: running the wrong nuts with the wrong rims can cause ueber nonsense... :mytwocents: :mytwocents:
On my 2007 4.8 GRX it has the normal nuts like Clem purchased, it does not have any washer on it.part 40224V5510

http://nissan4u.com/parts/patrol_gr/el_ ... tration_2/

On Patrolapart the washered nut is speced for the QG and Maverick Alloy rim. http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genui ... el-nut-set
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

My car came from the factory with the nuts in question. When I bought spare nuts I sent the dealer my car's manufacturing certificate. so it was ordered against the VIN. Seems to me like there's no possibility that I now have the wrong nuts. And my car is a GRX with mags. Nou toe nou. There's one for you.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

NMAD wrote: On my 2007 4.8 GRX it has the normal nuts like Clem purchased, it does not have any washer on it.part 40224V5510

http://nissan4u.com/parts/patrol_gr/el_ ... tration_2/

On Patrolapart the washered nut is speced for the QG and Maverick Alloy rim. http://patrolapart.com.au/product/genui ... el-nut-set
My wheel nuts (the collared / washered variety) are factory spec for pre-facelift GRX mags - not GQ. So, the only thing I can assume is that there was a change with Mags from pre-facelift and post-facelift. I know they look pretty different.
Clem wrote:My car came from the factory with the nuts in question. When I bought spare nuts I sent the dealer my car's manufacturing certificate. so it was ordered against the VIN. Seems to me like there's no possibility that I now have the wrong nuts. And my car is a GRX with mags. Nou toe nou. There's one for you.
And mine is also GRX - albeit older. There's one for you. :rolling: :rolling:

In all honesty, whilst I don't have a post-face-lift GRX, and can probably not really comment in that regard (as we've seen), I've seen some serious crap when people run mags with nuts designed for other wheels - most recently, some guy I know with newer Hilux rims on an older Hilux attached with "steel rim" nuts. He lost a wheel. Nobody was hurt, but it wasn't pretty.

In short: I was just making an honest "word of warning". Anyways, getting back to work.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Incompatible rims and nuts can be a real safety risk - happens quite a lot with trailers and the like. But in this particular case I'll stick with what the factory specced for my rims. But it does raise a question mark around whether GRX rims from one year to another are identical, even if they look identical to the eye.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Clem wrote:Incompatible rims and nuts can be a real safety risk - happens quite a lot with trailers and the like. But in this particular case I'll stick with what the factory specced for my rims. But it does raise a question mark around whether GRX rims from one year to another are identical, even if they look identical to the eye.
As you mentioned, your stuff was ordered from VIN, so sure they are sorted. I was not aware the nuts had also changed between between the GRX models. Hence my comment. Anyways , just stuff to bear in mind for other GRX owners. There obviously some very subtle differences....
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

The issue is then if you buy a set second hand GRX rims, how do you know what nuts are correct? Not sure...
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Clem wrote:The issue is then if you buy a set second hand GRX rims, how do you know what nuts are correct? Not sure...
Clem - I reckon for pre-facelift rims (ala 4.5 GRX rims) the collared and washered nuts would need to be used. For post-lift rims, the part number you mentioned. Scary, though, as I am not sure if there are other differences in terms of the newer rims, and do not have a clue for the GQ. Alternatively, try and buy rims that (hopefully) come along with a set of wheel nuts ?

I am not intending changing rims anytime soon, so I am hopefully sorted for a bit. Maarnouwat. Interesting thread.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
johanp
Full Name: Johan Pheiffer
Nickname: Johan
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4800 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by johanp »

My 2001 4.5 had the big nuts with the washer and the 2004 4.8 uses the small nuts.
Here is a photo showing the different rims.
P%20008[1].jpg
P%20008[1].jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

So it looks like it is not model specific, but rather mag wheel specific.

But beware that if you use the wrong nuts on that specific mag that requires those larger washered units trouble will follow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!

Return to “39. Vehicles Accessories Wanted”