Full Name: Paul Greeff
Nickname: Paul
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Patrol 4.2, possibly 4.5 wanted

Post by pgreeff »

Some 3 years ago I posted an introduction on this forum expressing my desire to own a late 90s 4.2 petrol Patrol.

I have an imminent bonus coming up and I am on the hunt for a Patrol. They say the right Patrol will find you so I hope that is the case.

I have a dilemma though. As much as I love the older boxy shape 4.2 I've also started to consider a slightly newer model. They look fantastic, offer a tremendous amount of power and there is that option of the auto box on the 4.5.

The next step for me is probably to find a few candidates and test drive them to see if I prefer the newer 98 and up models or if I should stick to the 97 and older 4.2. If you have something available or know of a good option I'd love to go for a spin and see what my heart says. I'm not in a rush to buy anything so I can wait for a good deal, but the cash is on hand.

It is probably a decision that other Patrol owners cannot assist with as it's likely up to what I'll enjoy more than what on paper is best, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Some answers you could assist with.
1) Is the auto box recommended? I expect I will pay a fuel premium on it. I'm used to about 6 - 6.6 km/l on the Hardbody.
2) Power is important. I suspect both options will tow the Penta just fine if the Hardbody can do it.
3) Comfort and noise. I need to drop to 4th on uphills with the Hardbody which is fine, but the engine and road noise gets to me. I'd like to enjoy a quieter and smoother ride. A test drive in a 4.2 was very pleasant, but I never had the chance to take it out on the highway. I also have never driven the 4.5, but as a passenger in town it felt very smooth and quiet.
4) The Hardbody is my daily driver and I've enjoyed all almost 9 years of it. Is the Patrol a pleasant daily commuter? What can I expect coming from the 2.4 Hardbody?

Regards
Paul
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: Patrol 4.2, possibly 4.5 wanted

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Paul

This 4.5 auto is available: http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=7482 and is currently standing at Graham's shop, why don't you go take it for a drive and answer your questions for yourself?

Personally, I am not a fan of automatics. They feel slow and ponderous, because effectively a gearbox reacts rather than being pro-active. Keep in mind that this box is an older design which does not have predictive programs and stuff, and also that it is an 3-speed-plus-overdrive design with a quite highly-geard overdrive. This means that, on a level freeway, it is quiet and relaxing and pretty fuel efficient (relatively speaking), but you will need to gear down on uphills.
Because these early auto boxes are so different from the manuals, it is an intensely personal choice. Some guys (Chris Boegman, Ian Temperley) love them, others (me) hate them.

I have not owned a hardbody, but our company had a 2.4 that I drove to Secunda and back a few times. To my mind, it's no contest, the Patrol is far more comfortable and relaxing, but a little trickier to manuevre into parking spots.

I also drive my Patrol daily though, and find it no hardship. You would notice if you were to observe me that I generally reverse into parking spots. I find that much easier...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D
Home Language: English

Post by graham1 »

Hi Paul,

I had a '96 4.2 to start with. I enjoyed it alot, and, as long as youre not in a hurry, its a nice open road cruiser (110km/h seemed best). There's an OK amount of power, however, I do remember on a drive back from the Kruger, going up a pass around magoebaskloof area crawling up in third, and considering second! Lucky that car had character, so I just laughed at that. Im not sure Id want to tow with it if I actually wanted to get anywhere though? On 4x4 trails it was unstoppable. Easily the best 4x4 I have ever driven and owned, personally, by far better than my 4.8 now!

I then went to the 4.8 automatic, before the facelift, so similar in looks to a 4.5 you'll be looking at. I must say I really really love this car, very comfortable, all the luxuries one would need and I think, with a bullbar, a little lift, and nice tyres, one of the best looking 4x4s out there. Even with the 4.8 the autobox is a bit of a pain though - We went to the midlands this last weekend - with the cruise control on, there is constant gear hunting which makes the drive very very irritating, so I hardly used cruise control.

Every now and then I miss the old 4.2, but, Im much happier in the GU model I must say.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Post by IanT »

I think the big question here is budget? How much have you got to spend? You can get a nice 4.2 for about R80K, and a nice 4.5 for about R110K, as Peter has said I am an auto fan, there is a way to drive the auto to get the best out of them. My personal opionion if you are driving it in town go for an auto, these are big heavy vehicals with a big heavy clutch!!
Why don't you come to the pizza evening at Tinus's house on Thursday night then you can talk to the guys and have a drive of my 4.5 auto which is also in the market
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

1) I hear the autobox battles a bit with 33" wheels. I get between 4.5-6.5 on my 4.5 manual. 6.5 being the best I have ever recorded on highway driving 100-110km/l. 4.5 in town stop-start traffic.

2) have not really towed with mine so cant comment.

3) Most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. But you will also have to gear down to 4 (or even 3) on steep hills with the 4.5. That said we got quite steep hills here by us.. (hazyview-Sabie-white river area).

4) Very pleasant daily commute. If you can live with the fuel consumption.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
pgreeff

Post by pgreeff »

Peter Connan wrote: 04 Dec 2017 05:13 This 4.5 auto is available: http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=7482 and is currently standing at Graham's shop, why don't you go take it for a drive and answer your questions for yourself?
Peter, coincidentally that is the one I was looking at on this forum when I decided to consider a slightly newer model. The price is definitely doable, more than I was planning, but it is of course a newer model so it might be worth it. And they're a lot cheaper than I expected. It seems like a lot of car for very little money.

I am definitely starting to lean towards the 4.5, but I still have mixed feelings about the auto. As I've never owner an auto I don't know what is considered normal. What should I expect to fix and service on the auto box and will it last as well as the manual box?

Thanks for the invitation Ian. It is a bit difficult to get out in the week at the moment but I will be in touch.
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
TijmenvdS
Full Name: Tijmen van der Steenhoven
Nickname: Tijmen
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1997 Patrol TD42 GQ ST
Chevrolet 1974 K10 402 V8

Post by TijmenvdS »

I have owned a 4.5 and it is a really nice vhiecle but towing just normal hills it quikly decelerated to 80km/h 3rd gear. I would really urge you to wait for a good deal 4.8. Same consumption but quite a but more power.
But as a daily driver with a distance of more than 20km a day a petrol Patrol will chow through your budget.
A N/A 4.2 donkey diesel wil get about 6-7 km/L but if you turbo it, its a machine. My Turboed diesel on 35" tires gets 6.4km/L average and I trap hom. Where as my previous 4.5 got 4.5km/l on 31" tires.

:mytwocents: :mytwocents:
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

A friend of mine had a 4.5 auto which he then traded on a 4.8 auto and the 4.8 was lighter on fuel by a long shot, rather get the 4.5 manual

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

pgreeff wrote: 04 Dec 2017 10:31 As I've never owner an auto I don't know what is considered normal. What should I expect to fix and service on the auto box and will it last as well as the manual box?
Paul, maintenance is basically an oil change every once in a while. Same as a manual, except that you won't ever need to replace the clutch.

But if the oil is not changed regularly, or is abused to the point where it overheats badly, you could be in for a big bill.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
pgreeff

Post by pgreeff »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to see if I can say hello to the guys at Tinus's place on Thursday so I can meet the Patrols.
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

Return to “37. Vehicles Wanted”