Duine trip 20 Sept- 24 Sept 2018

Planning a get together (GTG), trip or competition?
Janusj
Full Name: Janus Janse van Rensburg
Nickname: Janus
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 5.6 V8 Y62
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Duine trip 20 Sept- 24 Sept 2018

Post by Janusj »

Here is some of our pics...
Attachments
Dunes for miles...Patrol just keeps going..
Dunes for miles...Patrol just keeps going..
Clash of the Titans...
Clash of the Titans...
The Nissan SA convoy
The Nissan SA convoy
Y61 4.8 showing us how it's done
Y61 4.8 showing us how it's done
The Nissan Patrol trophy :-)
The Nissan Patrol trophy :-)
Terence Marsh kicking up some sand.
Terence Marsh kicking up some sand.
The things we will do for our passion
The things we will do for our passion
The big guns taking each other on
The big guns taking each other on
GT-R preparing for its maiden run
GT-R preparing for its maiden run
Patrol and the pan...that pan surface looked incredible
Patrol and the pan...that pan surface looked incredible
Sundowner
Sundowner
The all new OPUS...what a brilliant design and super spacious and comfortable...
The all new OPUS...what a brilliant design and super spacious and comfortable...
Y61 posing for one awesome pic
Y61 posing for one awesome pic
Our arrival at Goera pan
Our arrival at Goera pan
A strange phenomena..
A strange phenomena..
Turbologix
Full Name: Thys Ellis
Nickname: Thys
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol Pickup

Post by Turbologix »

Hier is die final result vd 1/4 Mile
Attachments
1-4 Mile Final results Goerapan Patrol Forum 2018 1.xls
(1004.5 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Very impressive !!!!!!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

Turbologix wrote: 26 Sep 2018 12:02 Hier is die final result vd 1/4 Mile
Dankie Thys. Do you perhaps have the results of the mini rally stage?
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

David M wrote: 26 Sep 2018 16:16
It would also be great if somebody could edit the spreadsheet to say what engine each car had? Would like to know which was the fastest smoke machine for example, and if there were any 4.5's?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
PathMaker
Full Name: Graham Cumming
Nickname: PathMaker
Home Town: Centurion/Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 4.5GRX 1998 (Old Faithful/PathMaker)
Nissan Patrol Y61 4.8GRX Turbo 2003 (Storm)

Post by PathMaker »

Hi there everyone
A trip report (story) from our side, any additions welcome from others especially about Sunday's drive. So much to say and such slow typing speed ...

We as G-Tech Motors, Graham's 4.5 (PathMaker), my 4.8 turbo (Storm) and Malboer Ford, left at 05h30 on Wednesday morning for the long haul ahead, deciding that we would head west until 15h00 and look for an overnight rest spot.
Just outside of Kuruman, at a roadside pitstop, we met up with Ian de Villiers and decided to overnight at Red Sands Lodge. Really well worth it's stay over. Clean, neat accommodation and great food.
After a good nights rest and yummy buffet breakfast we moved on towards Kathu and main fuel fill up destination ... Upington.
On recommendation from Tommie, we did some meat shopping at Kathu Spar, and there rolled in a main pack of Patrols with trailers in tow. It was great to know everyone had made it safely till there, namely Tommie & Co, David & Anzel, Dawid, Alrien and kiddies, Petrus and wife and Gerrie. Sorry if I have missed someone.
With shopping done, chit chat completed, we all headed off to Upington.
In Upington, got the last items, fill up tummies, fuel tanks and loaded the wood, the excitement was now growing. "Kom, kom manne, ons wil daar kom".

On the drive to Goerapan, the scenery slowly but surely changed to the typical Kalahari expanse, only things taller than a raised Patrol was a telephone pole covered with a "versaamel voels" nest. (Gathering weavers). The openness and vastness is forever breath taking.
Going over the last hill with the Goerapan sign board saying we had arrived, is a massive salt pan on the left, with "small" red sand hills running along it border. Only later to find out that those are the same small sand hills that will kick our butts and make us spit dust!
We then all got our first taste of DUST, following Tommie through to our final camp spot, through the centre of the pan and settling on the furthest side.
Toe was die juk in die gat te groot and it does not take long before we are all back in the cars heading for these small red sand hills to get our introduction to dune driving by Tommie.
If nothing other was taught and learnt this weekend is the tyre pressure is key! Does not matter what is under the hood if the tyres are incorrectly inflated you going to sukkel. A few failed runs, quickly drove this lesson home. PS. First lady up ws Anzel, you go girl!
Heading back to camp was a beautiful breathtaking sunset with a slight hint of storm clouds rolling in.
Tonight everyone is tired, so quickly the camp settles down and goes dark ... all except us Red Sand overnighters, who finally call it at 23h30.

Friday late morning with brekkie in, we are all ready to rock 'n roll. We again head to the trainer dunes for some more confidence building.
As confidence builds, so the pack looses up and there are a few breakaways doing some individual exploring.
Eruan, the youngest up the dune driving himself, with Dawid (sitting next to him) and Alrien sweating bullets. Dad, it is time to start hiding car keys!
Soon we are all feeling medium rare and decide to head back to camp the long up and down and up and down route ... but soon we drive into some new comers, including Yster2 and back to the playground we go!
Now that we are closer to medium well done, we head to camp and all hide gingerly under our gazebo's, wishing for a cool breeze.
A impressive dust clouds starts approaching us and we all hold our breaths in anticipation of the arrival ... Leading the pack a beautiful silver Y62 with an Opus in tow followed by another white Y62 towing the "monster", the T1 Dakar Navara. Our hearts skip a beat!
Thanks to Tommie and Petrus for holding our names up high and been the only "mal mense" to brave the sun and help the Red lined team set up camp.
Soon after another dust cloud forms and a Dark Y62 emerges towing the most beautiful vehicle on the market, the Nissan branded pearl white Nissan GT-R!

Tommie shouts "5 minutes". What does he mean, where we going? In all the oogling of the GT-R and T1 we missed the announcement that we were heading to check out the drag strip.
Well, after we finally got our tyres pumped up and started to the gate, the main group had disappeared into the wilderness. We drove up and down the main road, with turbo whistling on every gear change to look for dust but to no avail. Typical when you want it, it is nowhere to be found.
Soon Malboer Ford behind tell us on the handheld that we must do that again, it was amazing! ... What did we do?
He tells us that there are striking red flames as long as 40cm are coming out of our exhaust pipe. Do it again he says! NO I shout!
On the drive back to camp, Storm starts cutting out when the revs drop and this is not looking good. On closer inspection Graham sees that the fuel pump has stopped working, quick replacement, we check the fuel filter, and that too is blocked up, also replaced with minimal effort. Both a less than a month old and have been used for less than 2000km.
Graham takes her out for a test run to check that the fuel pressure is good and comes back saying that was the best run yet but we have another problem.
He opens the bonnet and there is oil everywhere, Storm is literally bleeding oil, a degree or two away from going "WOOF" and catching alight. The conclusion, with the combination of low fuel pressure and high heat, Storm's engine ran too hot, pinged like crazy (pre-ignition) and blew a hole through a piston.
All the heads slowly lift up for Storm's engine bay and look at me, waiting for my personal explosion! I disappear, Graham disappears, the mood at G-Tech camp goes somber. Time for personal heartbreak time, good night.

Saturday morning, we drag ourselves out the rooftop tent and Graham starts up Storm, knowing better but still hopeful for an overnight miracle, but is not happening. Storm is cooked!
I start slowly packing up and I am then told that there is no way we are going home yet! We got drags to attend!
Thanks to Tommie for lending us his Patrol, we are all upset, irritated but nothing a few dust spitting, engine roaring, turbo whistling cars can't fix. Great friends will always lead to great times, and this was true of this day. Thanks to everyone for showing your concern, especially for Graham's health and further wise words for his own self preservation.

At the salt pan, it was hot! So hot, that Dawid Volskenk described it best ... if you had to phone hell it would only cost 5c, as it will be a local call!
What a great setup by Thys, Japie and Tommie. The drag lights, sensors and speed boards were a typical show of boys and their toys, and we thank them for it.
The main highlight soon arrived (for me at least), they quietly unload the GT-R, line it up and like a bat out of hell, it disappears down the drag in a puff of dust. Okay 140km/h is not too bad for a sports car on the dirt in the midday heat... No dumby, that was the warm up. Next run was the real deal, 180 km/h in 12.217 seconds. Yeah baby!
Next came GT-R versus T1 Dakar Navara, okay not a fair fight but it was not about who won, but the sound emitted by 2 monsters racing down a straight dirt strip at full taps ... goosebumps!!!
The only time that was topped was when Yster2 (Chev 7l V8) and a T1 Navara went screaming down the drag with me in the T1. An experience of a lifetime I will never forget.
A great day was had by all and we can't say thanks enough to Tommie and crew for making it happen, julle is YSTERS!
Thanks also to Thys and Japie for manning the laptop, Thys has already posted drag results on this post.
We will have to wait for next year to skop gat! Yster2 ... we are coming for you!

Sunday was pack up day for us, but our bad luck seem to be hanging still. All ready to go with Michael's a-frame bolted on (thanks for the lend) but nowhere to attach it to on the tow car. In our mad rush to pack we forgot Graham's tow hitch at home. Luckily Storm had her hitch on still, amazingly as Graham swore he was taking all her weighty items off (still amazed I was allowed to climb in. LOL)
Dawid, Graham, Jan and all free hands helped us swop over tow bars between 4.5 & 4.8. What a mission as Storm did after all come from the coast ... RUST results in very colourful language from underneath a Patrol with extended fuel tank and work space big enough for a mouse's baby.
Thankfully we left our bad karma at Goerapan and the trip home was without incident and went quicker than expected with us arriving home at 21h40.

From our side and G-Tech Motors as a company we would like to express our thanks and gratitude to everyone that made it to this event, without even a single person, it would not have been the same. Special thanks to kamp kommedante - Tommie and Mari. (You still amaze me, making the effort to join us even on crutches, strong lady!)
Special thanks to our suppliers that gave items for both the prize giving and general giveaways, namely Tyremart Centurion, Liqui-Moly and 4x4 Direct Centurion.

Until next year!
Chow for now and safe travels.
Vanessa
Attachments
IMG-20180920-WA0005.jpeg
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Good report Graham and Vanessa

Really sorry about Storm and believe me when I say that EVERYONE was really impressed with what we saw on Friday when you guys drove the dunes. I could not wait for the drag race event and the really big dunes to see it in action.
These things happen and it could have happened to any one of us....... Please get her back on the road so we can hear her breathe again :salute:

Dankie weereens aan Tommie, Marie, Thys, Japie en almal wat hierdie trip moontlik gemaak het, was een van die bestes!!
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Michael

Post by Michael »

Peter Connan wrote: 26 Sep 2018 16:51
David M wrote: 26 Sep 2018 16:16
It would also be great if somebody could edit the spreadsheet to say what engine each car had? Would like to know which was the fastest smoke machine for example, and if there were any 4.5's?
Peter, I will see if I can find time to summerise the sheet to maybe just place the top 2 runs for every vehicle, the engine and if there were any mods on it and maybe the driver?

Tommie
Full Name: Tommie Watkins
Nickname: Tommie
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afr

Post by Tommie »

Dag Maats.

Sjoe ek kan nie veel meer se as wat Venessa gese het nie. Ek sal wel Sondag kan opsom as n dag waar ek my woorde moet sluk omtrent die een "TRIL" vir sand ry. Daar is nou nie meer net een 'TRIL' naamlik n 'PETRIL' vir die sand nie. Attie(SOJO 2) het almal verbaas. So ook was Michael en Dave se diesels lekker sterk. 2 jaar gelede sou ek my statement van petrol motors kon staaf,maar die duine trip het ons almal verbaas. Goed gedoen 'SOJO 1(Michael). Maar ek moet nou dt maar noem..... YSTER 2.0 is maar baas. Thysman jy het alweer jou naam gestand gedoen. Daai LORRY se naam het die regte beskrywing..... YSTER 2.0

Die "DRAGS" was baja interesant gewees. Yster was die vinnigste naas die GTR. Eben het ook baja goed gedoen, met Steven 4.8 rgm wat net agter hom was. Dan het daai 'SOJO 2' Attie se diesel gat geskop. ek dink as dit nie vir sy clutch was wat gegly het nie sou hy die 16 sek gebreek het. Maar dan het Eben se 4.8 ook clutch probleme gehad. En dit is nou juis op die drags waar ons vir STORM gemis het. Maats ons het paar sterk karre tussen ons. Die uitdaging is nou oopgele vir die Kaapse manne om ook hulle voertuie te kom wys.

Ons het ook n 'time trail' gehou in die duine en dit was groot sports. Die wenner was Attie, en dan 2de was Eben. Ek wag dat Evan vir my die uitslae sal stuur, sodra ek dt het sal ek dt deurgee.

Ons het weereens geleer dat banddruk n baja belangerike rol speel om duine te ry. Dawid het ook baja goed gedoen, en dit was die eerste keer wat ek kon sien dat n 4.8 die waterduin uitry. En ook die eerste keer dat ek n Diesel sien die waterduin en die draadduin uitry.

Ons gaan volgende jaar weer die Duine trip by Goerapan hou, en hoop dan om van die Kaapse manne ook saam te kan he. Glo my dat ons dt nog meer interesant gaan maak. Die duine by Goerapan is meer tegnies en styler as die by Boegoeberg, maar ek dink almal sal saam stem dat hulle oor die algemeen moeiliker is. Indien ons dit weer in September gaan hou, wil ek vroegtydig die datum vasmaak met Goerapan, sodat ons kan aanspraak maak vir die chalets ook.

Dankie weereens aan Venessa vir al haar pryse en hulp om die naweek te organiseer, spesiale dank aan Thys, Japie en my Vrou. Sonder julle hulp sou dit maar moeilik gegaan het. Dan ook n spesiale dank aan Janus van Nissan Suid Afrika. Dit is die eerste keer waarvan ek weet dat Nissan betrokke is by n Patrol event. Ook dankie aan Oranje Nissan vir die worsbroodtjies saterdag middag by die drags. So ook dankie aan Redline Nissan vir die moeite wat julle gedoen het om die T1 Navara ook daar te he. Dit is n voertuig wat respek gaan afdwing ons kyk met groot belangstelling na die Dakar. Janus dankie vir die T-hemde en kepse, nou het ek ook n PATROL keps. Ek hoop terdee dat jy ons behoeftes vir die Patrol reeks aan Nissan kan oordra en dat hulle sal luister

Ek hoop dat almal dit terdee geniet het.

Groete
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ok so here is the updated sheet for the 1/4 mile event.

There is only one query left which is the one time of Steven's 4.8 supercharge. So Steven if you can just verify the one 14.85 recorded time we can finalize the times.
We had some problems with the wind at one stage and got instances where the fastest lane's dust triggered the slower lane's time premature.
Attachments
1-4 Mile Final results Goerapan Patrol Forum 2018 2.xls
(536 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Return to “29. Events”