Good day, I'm new here

Please tell us about yourself :-)
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: Good day, I'm new here

Post by Russ Kellermann »

4.5 was upgraded to 4.8 in 2002 if im not mistaken,...and then there was the body change in October 2004 to the current shape.

The 4.5 (145kw) is powerful enough for all tasks, however the 4.8 is far superior in the power dept at 190kw i believe,...which would be very beneficial for your towing requirements, at the cost of a little extra fuel usage compared to the 4.5.

Good luck in the search...
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

The 4.5 is a single-cam, pushrod motor. Basic and very reliable, but not terribly efficient.
The 4.8 is a twin-cam, multivalve motor. More complex, but pretty much just as reliable and a whole lot more power. Also, slightly more efficient, particularly post-roughly 2006.

As far as gearboxes go, the manual boxes are basically the same, but the autos are completely different, with the 4.8's box being far a better 5-speed tiptronic with locking torque converter vs. the 4.5's 4-speed + overdrive unit.

The rest of the drivetrain is pretty much identical, although the 4.8 may have a stronger rear axle (as far as I know the 4.8's all have the H266 diff, as do the 4.5 manuals, but the 4.5 autos have the H233B), and the 4.8's have the hand-brakes on the rear wheels, while all other variants have a seperate drum on the back of the transfer case.

As far as I know, there are no mechanical differences between the pre-and-post-facelift 4.8's, although there seems to be some difference in the engine management as a number of people report better-than-expected fuel consumption.

Russ, the 4.8 is usually lighter on fuel than the 4.5 on the road under similar circumstances. But if you use those extra horses, you pay for them.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
TonyP
Full Name: Tony Page
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by TonyP »

I've found exactly what I was looking for.
It is a 2006 4.8 GRX auto tiptronic. Free flow exhaust and long range tanks are the only mods. She is imaculate and looks like the day she came off the showroom floor. 136,000 k's. All that's left to do is to book a flight to pick it up :blonde:
Current work load means this aint going to happen for another 2 weeks.
The Landy has been sold and delivered so for the time being I have to battle to get in and out of Swambo's little puddle jumper. :redface:

A huge thank you to all you guys that helped steer me in the right direction, I'm a happy man.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Cool man ....post some pics when you get it :salute:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

I'm just trying to think of any other vehicle that has a manufacturer spec stating 3500Kg for towing ( braked trailer )..... I may be wrong but I think I heard that the Land Cruiser is only 1500Kg. Not sure about the Disco's
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Well done and welcome to the Troll club that keep the oil barons in the lifestyle they are accustomed too!!! :rolling: The only other vehical that I know of that is allowed to tow up to 3500km is the Disco's and Defenders not sure about the Rangies :thumbup: :blonde:
David
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Prinsloo
Nickname: David
Home Town: Stellenbosch
Current 4x4: 2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by David »

[quote="ricster"..... I may be wrong but I think I heard that the Land Cruiser is only 1500Kg. Not sure about the Disco's[/quote]

Yes the pick-up and FJ is only 1500kg , the Prado is 2500kg and only the 200 and new V8 76 can tow 3500kg braked
2006 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
ARB Bullbar, BZT rear bar, TJM 2" Suspension, Snorkel, LT 285/70/17 BFG KO2's, 40L Engel

Stop Rhino Poaching Supporter!
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Welcome to the forum Tony.
Apologies for late response on your questions - I have had both 4,5 and 4,8 and tow a 21 ft Kingcat around ZA and MOz - In my experience theres nothing to touch the patrols in terms of capability and reliability. Although my 4,5 manual was a great vehicle and did everything and more that I expected, the 4,8 auto is absolutely my favourite. The only place where I did notice a difference in favour of manual is when working on teh beach with the boat - ie much more direct control and feeling about what the traction and wheelspin going on - but having said that, I have yet to experience a problem with auto. One time I did get bogged down while throwing the boat into the water was when I was still not used to the management of the gear selector and threw her into park instead of reverse, and kicked the throttle to reverse - the delay in waiting for revs to drop and then hit reverse was just enough to let me sink a little too far into the soft stuff - so it was basically my own doing. Now I use a slightly trimmed wine-cork and place this in the slot between "R" and "P" to avoid chucking her into park - it worked wonders and never another issue..
Towing to Ponta with the Auto is incredibly more relaxing than manual, both on the tar as well as the sand road, where I have sailed past less capable vehicles towing little more than a venter trailer, but stuck down to the axxles.
There are quite a few mods one can do as well ie to make the speedcruise work while in tip-tronic mode.. you can read up about these on this forum...

Enjoy!!
Attachments
DSC05740.jpg
DSC05740.jpg (116.97 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
20131222_060350.jpg
20131222_060350.jpg (85.99 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
TonyP
Full Name: Tony Page
Nickname: Tony
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by TonyP »

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and thanks for the towing info Chris. What kind of set up do you have as a front winch plate/replacement bumper and front tow ball. It's just a personal thing on my side, but I think the Patrol is a good looking vehicle that just might be spoiled by a big, heavy replacement bumper etc. I realistically only use my winch for hauling the boat onto the trailer on the beach.
It would be great to see a few pics of the front end of a few vehicles to get an idea of a few options.

I found this guy in Cape Town that makes a good looking bumper for the patrol and he can incorporate the winch plate and tow ball. The set up before shipping is R12,000 and it will accommodate my 12,000 lb winch hidden behind the bumper and slide front ball.
See pic below.
image.jpg
image.jpg (131.84 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

My front end - cant beat the look in my view. If you in the area come and look at the set-up.
I have a Warn M8000 upgraded the motor to the 6hp motor of the 9,5XP - devastatingly powerful now.. :woo:
Attachments
Photo6.jpg
Photo6.jpg (234.27 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Photo4.jpg
Photo4.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 2805 times

Return to “28. Introduce Yourself”