Full Name: Johann van der Spuy
Nickname: Johann 1984
Home Town: Kimberley
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 3.0 Tdi
Home Language: Afrikaans

Mpaya and Mabuasehube with trailer

Post by Johann 1984 »

Best Patrol Manne,

I have a booking in Kgalagadi this December.

I'm in Mpaya and Mabuasehube for 4 nights each. This has been confirmed. I am trying to book a spot at Polentswa as well as Rooiputs on-route back so that I can exit at Twee-Rivieren. For The moment though I only have the 8 nights in the Mabuasehube / Mpaya area.

It's been a while (2015) since I've been to this beautiful wilderness and therefore have a few questions if you don't mind sharing experiences.

Most importantly, can I take my 4x4 trailer in at Mabua gate and use it in the Mpaya and Mabua area? Please note that I have a 'arm-man se 4x4 trailer' in the form if a Venter Bushbaby. I am taking it in for a proper service before the trip so that the wheel-bearings as well as the axle and u-shackles can be reviewed and serviced. I have never done the Kgalagadi with a trailer but I know that the Kgalagadi is not a trailers' friend. Also, if I do manage to land a booking at say Polentswa or Rooiputs, can I travel the Southern route passing Matopi 1 & 2 towards Nossob with a trailer? I am getting conflicting answers on this question, hence why I am asking. i am somewhat concerned about the towing capacity of the 3.0 TDi engine in the GU Patrol. Without a trailer it goes like a bullet in the sand. However, last year I towed a trailer to Mabibi and Kosi and I sweated here and there in the thick sand.

I see that Mabua and Mpaya have both been privatised. Do we now have any water or taps there where one can refill your tanks?

Any ideas will be appreciated. :thumbup: :eureka:

Thanks Guys, have a mega-day!

Johann
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Re: Mpaya and Mabuasehube with trailer

Post by Alex Roux »

Johann 1984 wrote: Most importantly, can I take my 4x4 trailer in at Mabua gate and use it in the Mpaya and Mabua area? Please note that I have a 'arm-man se 4x4 trailer' in the form if a Venter Bushbaby. I am taking it in for a proper service before the trip so that the wheel-bearings as well as the axle and u-shackles can be reviewed and serviced. I have never done the Kgalagadi with a trailer but I know that the Kgalagadi is not a trailers' friend. Also, if I do manage to land a booking at say Polentswa or Rooiputs, can I travel the Southern route passing Matopi 1 & 2 towards Nossob with a trailer? I am getting conflicting answers on this question, hence why I am asking. i am somewhat concerned about the towing capacity of the 3.0 TDi engine in the GU Patrol. Without a trailer it goes like a bullet in the sand. However, last year I towed a trailer to Mabibi and Kosi and I sweated here and there in the thick sand.

I see that Mabua and Mpaya have both been privatised. Do we now have any water or taps there where one can refill your tanks?

Hi Johann

I was there now in July.
Not all the Mabua campsites have water and some of them have water on-and-off.
However You can always visit another site that has water.
Monamodi has mostly always had water. We stayed there and had visitors twice that came to refill their water supplies.
So I would not be too worried about water, if your own site happens to be dry.

We had three vehicles in our party, one with an off road trailer. We drove from Mabue to Nossob the one day.
Very nice drive and totally overrated in terms of difficulty.
Incidentally we were also at Mabibi in April, and I would say the sand in those parts of the Kalahari were easier or otherwise the same at worst.
The Maputu Elephant park had much softer and deeper sand than anywhere in the Mabue / Nossob areas and in between.

I would be weary of taking a normal trailer through those areas though.

If it is

a) not too heavily loaded
b) you drive carefully, and
c) you have the tools to fix it if need be

then it should be okay though.

Finding space at Polentswa during school holidays is near impossible.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

P.S.

You may get better local knowledge and advice on a query like this on the community forum.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
DawidT
Full Name: Dawid Taljaard
Nickname: Dawid
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: 2010 Nissan Patrol 4800 GRX,
Nissan Patrol 4.2l GQ
Volkswagen Caravelle 4 Motion
2018 Toyota Landcruiser V8 DC

Post by DawidT »

Hi Johann,

I did Matopi, Monamodi last year June / July. Water is not an issue, you can do as Alex mentioned. I towed a Jurgens Explorer caravan there coming from the south directly. I left on the road going North to Kang and then to Nam - Entry and exit at Mabua. I have a 4.8 Patrol and managed the sand well. Not too sure about your trailers' hight though?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Do you go to low range when towing in sand? It makes a world of difference.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”