Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Botswana Road Conditions

Post by iandvl »

Folkses,

I've been watching the events related to flooding in Botswana relatively closely, as I will be leaving for Malawi on Thursday if my projects gets the go ahead. And I'm worried... Very worried.

My planned route was into Bots, A1 to Francistown, then A3 to Nata. And then A33 up to the Kazangula ferry. From what I've gathered though, everything around Nata is washed away. This is apparently more problematic further West (ie: the A3 between Nata and Maun), but the last information I got was that the A3 between Francis Town and Nata was also becoming problematic. However, there is so much conflicting information, I don't know. Some have said the road is open. Others have said it isn't. etc.

So - my question: Does anyone know the exact road conditions in Bots at the moment ? Does anyone have a friend / similar who lives in around Nata area that I can call to confirm ? I've tried calling Oom Mac a few times since Friday (he will definitely know someone), but I am battling to get hold of him.

I leave in two days and will need to work out an alternate route now, if the roads are going to be impassable.

Thanks a stack.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: Botswana Road Conditions

Post by Kagiso II »

Hallo Ian .. what nuber you using? I see a missed call from a 021 number - no message, but on calling that number e female voice just sy "I'm sorry .... " and the phweeeeppppppp

You can Phone ROBERT he lives at NATA +26776783414 [He does Missionary work around there ]

[NB also contact BEN at ELIPHANT SANDS .. look them up]

If those roads are buggered [which I doupt] you can go A2 via Kang, then up to Ghanzi, then Sehitwa turn north through Mohembo Border; then down CAPRIVI, and enter Zambia from that side .. 100000 times better than the abortion at Gazangula ferry and border.
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Baie dankie Oom Mac.

Ek het met Robert gesels. Ergste gedeelte is blykbaar wes van Nata (ie: A3 Maun se kant toe), maar die pad van Francis Town tot Nata is oop en OK. OK, maar baie slaggate.

Hy is nie bewus van issues op die A33 nie. So ek gaan my roete nie verander nie.

Patrol is darem nie bang vir slaggate nie. :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Ian, I am sure you know this, but please don't drive in Bots at night. I am sure that applies to Zambia as well.

Lots of stray animals in the roads.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Peter Connan wrote:Ian, I am sure you know this, but please don't drive in Bots at night. I am sure that applies to Zambia as well.

Lots of stray animals in the roads.
Peter,

Not to worry. I'm not intending on driving in Bots, Zambia or Malawi at night at all. And it's not just the animals. A friend of mine in Lusaka says you take your life in yours hands being on the road after dark. Trucks travelling at night sans lights are regular - apart from the animals. Hitting either an animal or a truck would be a good way to mess up a trip.

My itinerary on the way up includes "major" over night stops (ie: goals that I would like to reach as it makes subsequent travel days' / distances easier). However, I've also worked out alternates in case things like border formalities or road conditions eat away at my time and I cannot make the "major" night's stop. This is Africa, after all, and things run on different times... :rolling: :rolling:

The way back, I have a few extra days, so will take a more leisurely drive and take in some of the sights (ie: Lake Malawi, Kariba, Vic falls etc).

I'm currently stuck in limbo. I'm ready for my trip. But we're waiting for the client to sign off on the project. If this does not happen by close of business today, the project will be cancelled... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So we'll see how stuff pans out. Holding thumbs it is a go. Would be depressing to be so excited and to make so many preparations and then have things run awry. Maar ons kyk hoe speel hy uit. :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

So, is ithappening?
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Peter Connan wrote:So, is ithappening?
I wish. Client has not signed off yet. So we've postponed it all for a week. Very disappointed - this time I tomorrow, I was supposed to have been somewhere in Botswana heading Northwards... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Bugger.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Not cool dude that would be a epic road trip ....seeing that you are ready somme dive to the dunes :blonde:
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Tinus lotz wrote:Not cool dude that would be a epic road trip ....seeing that you are ready somme dive to the dunes :blonde:
Tinus - sorry - only noticed your post now.

The project is not cancelled, there are just delays... Whilst I'd have loved to join at the dunes, I've got to save my cash for when I get the go-ahead...

Work will reimburse me for cost of air-fare, which means I'm covered to Malawi fuel-wise, pretty much.... The trip home, camping on the way, COMESA insureance, TIP fees etc, I'll have to cover on my own. It will cost a packet. But I don't mind - this has always been one of my dream trips... Driving there I will be focusing on getting to the end-destination on-time. Driving back will be considerably more leisurely, and I'll have the opportunity to check a number of items off my bucket list... Expect a relatively cool trip report. :rolling: :rolling:

Really hoping I get the go-ahead to leave this Thursday....
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”